Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Ask) SSD vs Hdd raid 10?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Ask) SSD vs Hdd raid 10?

I saw some provider only use single hdd in their vps node.
I want to know from buyer prespective. Which one do you prefer. Provider that use single SSD or provider that use hdd raid 10
Thanks for reply

Comments

• For apps, a single SSD is fine as long as there is a decent back-up mechanism in place. For storage or back-up server, RAID10 HDDs would be good enough.

Thanked by 2WSS Timtimo13
  • SSD will be much more responsive than HDD in most VPS. OTOH with no RAID you are more subject to data loss if the drive fails. So it's a matter of how well organized your backups/replication are, and also whether the data is important or whether it's tolerable to lose it. With some applications you might decide that it's an acceptable risk.

• Even with RAID there should still be backups in place, whether that be your provider or you - RAID makes for better performance/redundancy. No RAID means you're likely to suffer downtime in the event that the single drive fails, where as RAID 10 in place is unlikely to result in downtime as long as it's only a single drive failure.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

The provider that offers a single SSD drive with no raid is most likely a no good, there is no real uptime guarantee. If the single drive fails there will be some data loss certainly since they will have to restore the data from a backup. With raid if one drive fails the service can still remain online maybe with some performance loss due to the raid controller writing data on the new drive.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited February 2017

@willie has pretty much said what there is to say.

Without knowing your concrete situation and priorities we can't tell you much more.

• Thank all for your reply :)

• edited February 2017

It depends on what your trying to do and the hardware underneath.

Single SSD servers would be alright if the objective is to scale horizontally with lots of redundancy, little storage is needed, and the workload is IO bound. Assuming the application can scale horizontally, or course. :)

HDs in RAID 10 has been tested more if the objective is to go vertical with minimal redundancy, lots of storage is needed, and the workload isn't IO bound.

Block storage over an appropriate medium or SSD RAID 1/10 are probably the better options, but that wasn't part of the question.

• Maybe SSD RAID-1 its enough...
    SSD have more iops right?

CMIIW

• @PremiumFast_Net said:
    Maybe SSD RAID-1 its enough...
    SSD have more iops right?

CMIIW

Yes ssd raid 1 would better but my question is ssd non raid since i know some cheap provider that use non raid ssd in their node

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited February 2017

@permatahost said: I saw some provider only use single hdd in their vps node.

Honestly i avoid them (single hdd). I do my backup always but to keep data of my sites on servers with a single hard disk ehmmmmmm.. no
    And my first rule is always to ask before to buy. After all to ask for is reasonable and to answer is courtesy.
    I try always to search for (at least) Raid 10 HD + SSD's running under cachecade

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

To me there is no debat, no raid means downtime if the disk fails.

Disk can be regurlarly renewed but that implies live migration and i am not fond of moving a vm.

So i would not go with a service that has no raid.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited February 2017

RAID10 SSD

Not the cheapest solution though.

Keep in mind a 4 drive RAID10 is twice the capacity of each individual drive. So how much storage you want/need is a significant factor in the decision.

Most things server related should be RAID1 at a minimum. If you don't need the capacity I would go RAID1 SSD.