Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net - Server hangs after a few hours of running
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net - Server hangs after a few hours of running

Hi,

I have a server at Online.net and I am running proxmox on it. The problem is, after a few hours of running, it hangs. If I reboot it, it will work well but after a few hours, it happens again.

I have tried to reinstalled the server, check all the settings but cannot find anything that may cause the issue. I use the same setting for all of my 20 servers but only this server has this problem.

When I login to KVM over IP, I found a lot of this message on Event Log: Configuration Error (DMI) - Assertion.

I have also tried to open a support ticket but their supporter insists saying that my server is online. Actually, it's online but it hangs and ping down.

Anyone have any ideas with the error I got? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• sinsin Member
    edited January 2017

Have you tried running a memory test to make sure the ram isn't bad?

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • Wait until it hangs again and then tell them to look at the machine, maybe they will then take it serious, i find it strange that it takes a few hours, have you tried monitoring the temp, what diagnostics have you ran, check the HDD, check the ram, maybe stress the cpu for a bit see if any of this will result in a hang.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • seems like something wrong with your hardware ... :3

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

install kdump and run the output it gives you through mcelog after the next crash, you will have your answer.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited January 2017

Thank you for all the suggestion. Actually, I have waited until it hangs and create a support ticket but they still said the server was online!

I have checked the SSD, and monitor the temperature but it seems all is normal (the CPU is about 68 degree celcius).

I will check the RAM ,install kdump and get back for reports. Thank you all.

• i83i83 Member

windytime90 said: the CPU is about 68 degree celcius

Idle or under load?

• xrzxrz Member
    edited January 2017

had the same before on one server then i leave them ...

sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +29.8°C (crit = +106.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Physical id 0: +94.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
    Core 0: +90.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
    Core 1: +94.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
    Core 2: +92.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
    Core 3: +92.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

:D

• PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
    edited January 2017

Either a motherboard / processor issue, DMI is the link between the Northbridge and Southbridge of a motherboard.

BIOS could need updating or the board could be bust.

PH

Notes: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Direct+Media+Interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=YkuKWPPvFOLW8geMore4Bw

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited January 2017

68C is a little high on idle but each CPU generation varies in temp.

• Hi,

I have tested the RAM but no error found.
    68C is the temperature on full load.
    I have also installed kdump but it does not show any of kernel crash info. I think the reason is my server does not crash, it hangs so kdump cannot do anything here.

Another information, this node is always on full load (load = 1.5 per core), do you think 1.5 is too high? Actually, I have some servers with the same type and load = 2 and it still runs well.

Any further suggestion would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• windytime90 said:

Another information, this node is always on full load (load = 1.5 per core), do you think 1.5 is too high?

It's a dedi, you should be able to run full load 24/7, especially if it's a Xeon server.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @willie said:

windytime90 said:

Another information, this node is always on full load (load = 1.5 per core), do you think 1.5 is too high?

It's a dedi, you should be able to run full load 24/7, especially if it's a Xeon server.

Am running conversion (ffmpeg) 24/7 at 10.5 load on a 4c/8t server. Still works fine, also online.net deal.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • Any solution for this problem?

I have the same problem.

• windytime90 said: I think the reason is my server does not crash, it hangs so kdump cannot do anything here.

How do you know that it hung, rather than just becoming inaccessible by network temporarily? Have you tried accessing from another machine in the same DC? Maybe their IPMI system?

• @mtsbatalha said:
    Any solution for this problem?

I have the same problem.

After some tickets with a lot of evidence to convince them, they changed my server.

• @windytime90 said:

@mtsbatalha said:
    Any solution for this problem?

I have the same problem.

After some tickets with a lot of evidence to convince them, they changed my server.

Thanks man.