Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to choose copper / fiber - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When to choose copper / fiber

2»

Comments

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2017

@Yura Copper should be enameled in order for it to be used for cooking, and yes it has great conductive properties. If the enamel wears off you risk getting poisoned :). When you buy something that's used for cooking it's pre-enameled, but It can wear off after a lot of use.

• @Vita said:
    @Yura Copper should be enameled in order for it to be used for cooking, and yes it has great conductive properties. If the enamel wears off you risk getting poisoned :).

Did you read what I said about copper poisoning? If it's incorrect, please, provide evidence.

YOU CNN ZOMBIE!

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2017

@Yura said:

@Vita said:
    @Yura Copper should be enameled in order for it to be used for cooking, and yes it has great conductive properties. If the enamel wears off you risk getting poisoned :).

Did you read what I said about copper poisoning? If it's incorrect, please, provide evidence.

YOU CNN ZOMBIE!

Hahah I don't even watch CNN :D. Pure copper dishware (not enameled/coated) for cooking is not good for you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

• @Vita said:

@Yura said:

@Vita said:

YOU CNN ZOMBIE!

Hahah I don't even watch CNN :D. Pure copper dishware (not enameled/coated) for cooking is not good for you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

I believe you don't watch CNN. I believe you don't read Wikipedia articles you post too:

Cookware in which copper is the main structural element (as opposed to copper clad, copper sandwiched or copper colored) is sometimes manufactured without a lining when intended to be used for any of a number of specific culinary tasks, such as preparing preserves or meringues. Otherwise, copper cookware is lined with a non-reactive metal to prevent contact between acidic foods and the structural copper element of the cookware.
    Excepting for acute or chronic conditions, exposure to copper in cooking is generally considered harmless.[24]

Which is exactly what I said above about lined and unlined copper cookware.

• @Yura I like how you get obsessed about the topic :D. I just noted that cookware which is not enameled/coated/lined properly can cause copper poisoning. I'm not against using copper cookware which is properly enameled/coated/lined (whichever word you like). Just wanted to note that people sometimes just don't know about the dangers. In a lot of cultures copper cookware is used that is old and used a lot so the lining/coating is lost during to extended wear and people may get poisoned.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you use copper in cookware, unless a maniac like the owner of that kitchen, it is very unlikely to have almost everything in copper, so, if you cook one meal a day in copperware, wont kill you.
    If you have Wilson's, even if you dont use copper in cooking, will still deposit in you. Otherwise, it is harmless, unless you use HCl as sauce.

• @Vita said:
    @Yura I like how you get obsessed about the topic :D.

Aspergers is caused by chemtrails caused by shitty cookware.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • doghouch said: not "may be cheaper," it IS cheaper than fibre :P

where? MM (plastic) fiber is way cheaper to buy than cat5/6/7 cables, SM (glass) about the same as cat5 and cheaper than 6 and 7.

• @Maounique said:
    If you use copper in cookware, unless a maniac like the owner of that kitchen, it is very unlikely to have almost everything in copper, so, if you cook one meal a day in copperware, wont kill you.
    If you have Wilson's, even if you dont use copper in cooking, will still deposit in you. Otherwise, it is harmless, unless you use HCl as sauce.

I heard that HCl comes out of your stomach. as long as you don't puke on the crappy food made, you'll be okay :D

• @William said:

doghouch said: not "may be cheaper," it IS cheaper than fibre :P

where? MM (plastic) fiber is way cheaper to buy than cat5/6/7 cables, SM (glass) about the same as cat5 and cheaper than 6 and 7.

Company near me basically hands out copper cable for free

• @doghouch said:

Ping me when they hand out copper fondue. :p

• doghouch said: Company near me basically hands out copper cable for free

Yea, just checked, on very large deploys copper is cheaper still - if you use fixed len. cables OM3 fiber is a bit cheaper, CTA7 generally still has a premium.

• You can make an argument that copper may be costlier in the long run since you're stuck with whatever speed it's rated for. It'll be obsoleted far sooner (relatively) than fiber.

Thanked by 2Clouvider doghouch
  • @Microlinux said:
    You can make an argument that copper may be costlier in the long run since you're stuck with whatever speed it's rated for. It'll be obsoleted far sooner (relatively) than fiber.

Yeah, but most ISPs are in it for a quick buck

• @doghouch said:

Do you mean ISP in the traditional sense, as in proving Internet access to end users?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

The better back and knee braces have copper fiber wound into them to help with sweat odors and the like. Plus, you can probably strain your icky soup through it for a little bit more flavor!

• @Microlinux said:

@doghouch said:

Do you mean ISP in the traditional sense, as in proving Internet access to end users?

Yep. For some countries, it is cheaper just to run copper, but then (t'was a mistake on my part) you'd need to be really close to the CO/distribution center to get decent speeds.

Personally, while fiber to the home will offer great speeds, it's not worth retrofitting unless the ISP is entering the area. Depending on the fiber they use, it could be cheaper short-term because like DSL, phone can go through, and there is no longer a need to be uber close to your ISP.

• @KeKe said:
    Both support 1g and 10g uplinks when do you choose fiber over copper besides length that is.

Not sure if troll or joker because lack of information.

Depends on where you live and if you're a customer or business.

• This thread is about colo crossconnects, not end user... never was either.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@doghouch said:

>

How much per 2 km of cable?

• @Radi said:

@doghouch said:

>

How much per 2 km of cable?

I don't think that they'll give that much - they give some to me when I ask for it (ie. enough to wire a room) for like $5, sometimes free

• William said: This thread is about colo crossconnects, not end user... never was either.

This forum is about low end VPSes, not how to build out a colo

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

Microlinux said: This forum is about low end VPSes, not how to build out a colo

No, this forum is about webhosting and related technology, which includes internet connections as well as other things (wtf? you ever seen WHT?) - this thread is not about DSL.

• @William said:

Microlinux said: This forum is about low end VPSes, not how to build out a colo

No, this forum is about webhosting and related technology, which includes internet connections as well as other things (wtf? you ever seen WHT?) - this thread is not about DSL.

My point is that threads evolve, just as this forum has. If you're going to try to chastise every little deviance from the exact parameters of the original posts, I hope you have a hell of a lot of time on your hands.

For Christ's sake, the original post didn't even say anything specific about colo and this thread is full of pictures of fucking pots and pans.

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2017

I've seen fiber cables go for as low as $0.3 per meter. Although with 2 fibers only. Depending on how and how much you plan to use it, fiber is the way to go probably.