Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why exist $3.49 $6.99 VPS in ovh?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why exist $3.49 $6.99 VPS in ovh?

they explain to customer have ddos protection even $3.49 $6.99 VPS
but dedicated hosting/game hosting server $69/$79
this fee list have meaning that very cheap vps are useless thing about ddos?

Comments

• I don't know why so many of you are doing things to get DDoS'd. Beyond IRC, that is.

• @WSS lots of LET'ers are running game servers, teamspeak, and other magnets.

@uni13 all OVH servers have DDOS protection now. OVH dedicated game servers have a particular DDOS protection setup that's tuned to the specific ways they get attacked.

• Or you could go with a company that filters all network traffic before it even hits the server you are hosted on and adds no latency and no drop in traffic while your ip is added to the filter ;)

Yes this is a shameless plug i blame @wss for pressuring me to bring more money home for the kids :'(

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

Who haven't I knocked up in LET yet?

How ya doin'?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Paha ;) @wss got the new node up if you want your vps back aha

• @piohost said:
    Paha ;) @wss got the new node up if you want your vps back aha

Sure- if ya wanna, whenever. You know I can always do with another mouth to feed! :D

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@piohost said:
    Or you could go with a company that filters all network traffic before it even hits the server you are hosted on and adds no latency and no drop in traffic while your ip is added to the filter ;)

Isn't that basically what enabling permanent mitigation on OVH does?

• @MikeA said:

@piohost said:
    Or you could go with a company that filters all network traffic before it even hits the server you are hosted on and adds no latency and no drop in traffic while your ip is added to the filter ;)

Yes but it also adds more latency ...

• @piohost said:

@MikeA said:

@piohost said:

Yes, 0.1ms.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @tr1cky said:

@piohost said:

@MikeA said:

@piohost said:

Yes, 0.1ms.

That is more latency is it not :)

@piohost said:

@tr1cky said:

@piohost said:

@MikeA said:

@piohost said:

Yes, 0.1ms.

• @MikeA said:

@piohost said:

@tr1cky said:

@piohost said:

@MikeA said:

@piohost said:

Yes, 0.1ms.

I know I did this when I saw your comment, you seem very tightly wound, ovh are not the god when it comes to DDoS protection, in fact its that bad that these "booters" well specifically design an attack to bypass their protection, You see MikeA my problem is not with them rather how they market there DDoS protection and the fact that I was a customer for over 5 years and this includes going to their conferences, but when it came down to some little attacks my server was down and they kept saying someone was analyzing the attack but yet months after they still had not fixed the issue, however when it comes down to it their network is more at risk of getting hit because there are so many people who use it so people are finding loopholes in their VAC system, the permanent mitigation is not the do all and end all, I noticed higher ping's and packet loss when activating their permanent solution.

I mean we can talk about this all day long, however, its a bit like marmite, you either love ovh or you hate them, I don't hate them, however, they will not see my business again.

edited February 2017

@piohost said:

@MikeA said:

@piohost said:

@tr1cky said:

@piohost said:

@MikeA said:

@piohost said:

Yes, 0.1ms.

I know I did this when I saw your comment, you seem very tightly wound, ovh are not the god when it comes to DDoS protection, in fact its that bad that these "booters" well specifically design an attack to bypass their protection, You see MikeA my problem is not with them rather how they market there DDoS protection and the fact that I was a customer for over 5 years and this includes going to their conferences, but when it came down to some little attacks my server was down and they kept saying someone was analyzing the attack but yet months after they still had not fixed the issue, however when it comes down to it their network is more at risk of getting hit because there are so many people who use it so people are finding loopholes in their VAC system, the permanent mitigation is not the do all and end all, I noticed higher ping's and packet loss when activating their permanent solution.

I mean we can talk about this all day long, however, its a bit like marmite, you either love ovh or you hate them, I don't hate them, however, they will not see my business again.

What are you talking about lol. I never said their protection was perfect (none are, but it's pretty damn good now days), I originally asked what you meant since they filter attacks with dedicated hardware.

The facepalm was because I seriously couldn't tell if you were just joking around or not. 0.1ms latency matters to, what like, 0.5% of applications that people host on a $5~ VPS?

• PioHostPioHost Member
    edited February 2017

@mikea they route traffic via their VAC system which as I said is not perfect, Yes no solution is perfect however its a pet peeve of mine with OVH

Yes i was joking fyi, was taking the piss, the 0.1ms is not the problem i had it was the packet loss

• @piohost said:
    @mikea they route traffic via their VAC system which as I said is not perfect, Yes no solution is perfect however its a pet peeve of mine with OVH

Yes i was joking fyi, was taking the piss, the 0.1ms is not the problem i had it was the packet loss

Well, you rely on zare for ddos protection, right? Zare was utter shit when they had Voxility so that is a provider I would trust, lol.

• @tr1cky you are rather angry? Just because I colocate at zare does not mean I rely solely on their corero system, there are other measures put in place to protect my customers. And any fight you have with them is not mine, I was not part of their network when they had voxility for the simple fact they had voxility, I was, in fact, an ovh customer, until like I said their system could not handle the attacks, Simple UDP attacks, NTP attacks, TeamSpeak attacks, specific valve source attacks all these attacks were never filtered by ovh when my customers were attacked meaning I had to find a better solution for my customers, We now have access to attack logs and our own firewall so we can prevent attacks easier, that being said our system again is not perfect, no one will be able to keep up with the attacks, there is always someone smarter out there that will find a way past everything you have built.

• Well, why is your site behind CloudFlare? Do you not trust your own ability to block attacks?

OVH game is really good.

Here's the main server of my TSDNS service:

This service currently hosts 14963 TSDNS entries, so it gets attacked pretty regularely, most of the people who attack Teamspeak servers think they need to attack the IP that the domain points to, which is the TSDNS IP.

• YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

@piohost said:

@tr1cky said:

@piohost said:

Yes, 0.1ms.

If you as a provider don't take yourself seriously, do you expect customers to do that?

@piohost said:

you either love ovh or you hate them, I don't hate them, however, they will not see my business again.

So, you love OVH but would never use their services again? That's how either or construct works.

Example: you either don't think what you are going to say or you don't care how much truth is in it.

@tr1cky said:
    Well, why is your site behind CloudFlare? Do you not trust your own ability to block attacks?

+1

• @tr1cky said:
    Well, why is your site behind CloudFlare? Do you not trust your own ability to block attacks?

OVH game is really good.

Here's the main server of my TSDNS service:

This service currently hosts 14963 TSDNS entries, so it gets attacked pretty regularely, most of the people who attack Teamspeak servers think they need to attack the IP that the domain points to, which is the TSDNS IP.

If the reason behind my site being behind cloudflare was that then why is your site also behind cloudflare, there is more then one use for cloudflare, I dont use it for the protection rather the intended use of a cacheing proxy, I do not host my site on my own metwork either as its hosted on the us, you now the whole eggs in one basket saying, however if you wish to find my ips im sure you can search through zares ips and find my subnet in there.

Also its not hard to find my sites ip address and my site is not actually ddos protected :)

• piohost said: If the reason behind my site being behind cloudflare was that then why is your site also behind cloudflare

Because OVH game ddos protection protects games and TCP-based applications, it's not meant for website-protection.

You though, advertise DDoS-protection, without going into detail on what that means.

piohost said: there is more then one use for cloudflare, I dont use it for the protection rather the intended use of a cacheing proxy

Not sure what that means. Is your site consuming a lot of traffic? I guess you still use it for protection, most of your site is static content so you can use edge-caching and L7 ddos would just be absorbed by CloudFlare.

Normally I'd agree that hosting your site on the same network as customers is a bad thing, but it's pretty common for ddos-procted hosts to display their confidence into their own product.

piohost said: Also its not hard to find my sites ip address and my site is not actually ddos protected :)

I have no interest in doing so, but why is it not hard to find the backend IP? You could do something against that.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Hey guys, anyone has any experience with the new Hetzner DDoS Protection?