Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

php memory limit cpanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

php memory limit cpanel

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Please share your php memory limits with me :)

Havin a customer that runs out of memory and I have already increased it to an (in my opinion) unhealthy value

Comments

• 1GB?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Ishaq said:
    1GB?

is that the value you set on your shared hosting?

• Yes, but I guess it depends on your target customers/market and how much they pay.

• @Ishaq said:
    1GB?

Its hosting account physical memory limit, 128mb is default php memory limit anda user can increase this limit

• Yeah, I guess he was talking about the physical LVE limit because customers can modify the PHP limit themselves.

Error logs shows mostly wordpress cron jobs failing,checked the database and there is alot of cron jobs. Will imcrease the amount of concurrent connections.

Thanks all.

@Ishaq said:
    Yeah, I guess he was talking about the physical LVE limit because customers can modify the PHP limit themselves.

I was actually talking about the PHP limit :)

• One of those WP installs with a billion plugins?

@doughmanes said:
    One of those WP installs with a billion plugins?

Not a billion but more then I'm used to and not to forget, plugins that I haven't seen/used before.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I would go 256MB on shared and accuse anyone going over it of using poorly coded applications. Having to raise limits can indicate that your limits are too low but it can just as easily indicate that your code is at fault.

I once met a customer that uploaded files via PHP in such a poor way that files were stored entirely in RAM until finished and then moved to disk. Took me at least an hour to figure it out.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • +1 on poorly coded apps. I recall such a past issue on the support desk.

Ruled out an attack on Wordpress since you replied about WP plugins?

@doughmanes said:.

Ruled out an attack on Wordpress since you replied about WP plugins?

No real proof but most errors come from the server IP with the referrer "wp-cron.php".
    I've also seen references to plugins that doesn't exist in the installation.

My guess, yes it's a guess since I have no proof, is that this was installed initially a very long time ago on another server and the installation has had plugins installed and later uninstalled.

Old shit, no longer in use is still there causing these problems.
    I did some cleanup, if that doesn't work the install has to be moved to a dedicated installation.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I would say that 256 MB is a safe value and I wouldn't go over 512 MB.

• hostenshostens Member, Host Rep

We have set it to 256 MB for our shared hosting users.

Thanked by 2doughmanes vimalware
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited February 2017

128MB default, changeable up to 256MB via cPanel. Typically nothing needs more than 256MB except for some Magneto installs where we set 512MB...

If you see wp-cron.php errors, install the WP Crontrol(https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-crontrol/), or similar, plugin so you can see what it's actually up to. If you've already increased the memory_limit in PHP, have you checked the wp-config.php to see if WP_MEMORY_LIMIT is defined?

If you haven't already, disable automatic cron via wp-config.php & setup a manual cronjob once per hour.

nunim said: have you checked the wp-config.php to see if WP_MEMORY_LIMIT is defined?

Checked, it's not there.

nunim said: If you haven't already, disable automatic cron via wp-config.php & setup a manual cronjob once per hour.

Still running the "old fashioned" way. Haven't heard from the customer since my last changes.