Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone experienced this ever?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone experienced this ever?

RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Hi guys and girls,

I have a Xen HVM vps, which "got on drugs".

Right now, it is able to be ssh-ed to, with a difference that it hangs for a while when you enter the "root" username.

Once I am in, this is where the troubles begin.

VPS is not able to either ping or traceroute the outside world.

Pings and traceroutes to the IP of the host node, IP of another VPS on the host node, IP of another VPS on a different hostnode in the same vLAN are working fine.

Anyone ever experienced this issue? If yes, how did you solve it?

I have been playing with this for whole morning now. Checked network configuration against a working VPS, everything looked correct.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

maybe you have someone trying to steal the IP somewhere on the network and its messing your arp caches up?

Change its IP and mac to rule this out.

The 'issue' you are describing is a fairly generic one, really its not something anyone can help you with unless we see some toubleshooting outputs or look at it ourselves.

Based on the limited info though, I would try a different IP, test that IP on another VPS and run wireshark on the VPS to see how far the traffic is getting and why it is not getting beyond a certain point.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Looks like that is the case. The problem VPS has multiple IPs though. I tried one of them on another VPS and well, you can guess - no inbound network as well, no SSH, nothing. I'll have to renumber the entire thing or find the thief.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

shut it down, ping the IP, arp -n, cat /path/to/your/xen/cfg's | grep mac you found in the arp cache

if the mac is the pysical from another node then do the same thing on that node.

poke me on skype if you need a hand.

• The hang on initial connect seems possibly due to dns (dns lookups) being enabled in sshd_config and the delay is because of your notwork (sic) :-)

Disabling that should allow you to quickly login but you'll still be stuck in the notwork until you fix that.

• File system in read only and needs to be fsck'd then reboot?

• @nullnothere said:
    The hang on initial connect seems possibly due to dns (dns lookups) being enabled in sshd_config and the delay is because of your notwork (sic) :-)

Disabling that should allow you to quickly login but you'll still be stuck in the notwork until you fix that.

At least I had this problem some time ago. Here you can find more information askubuntu.com/questions/246323/why-does-sshs-password-prompt-take-so-long-to-appear

• Sounds like a duplicate IP

• Radi said: it hangs for a while when you enter the "root" username

OpenSSH ships with the UseDNS option enabled by default, so it tries to check the reverse DNS of a client's IP. No route to the internet = no route to your DNS server = SSHd waits until the DNS query runs into a timeout.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Yes, sounds like duplicate IP assigned.

Have you tried recreating the VPS?