Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Place For A Chicago Dedicated Server i7 4790k? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Place For A Chicago Dedicated Server i7 4790k?

2»

Comments

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Keep in mind that Passmark results are not just server performance ratings. A lot of providers are running the 6700k/7700k processors in server motherboards (Such as the X11SSL-F) so generally you won't have the ability to push the chips past the turbo frequency.

So in that regard, Passmark single thread performance results aren't perfect when you're looking for server providers. Some providers run desktop motherboards which allow you to overclock which would be your best bet.

Stock 6700k beats stock 4790k.

Stock 7700k beats stock 6700k.

Overclocked 6700k beats overclocked 4790k.

Overclocked 7700k beats overclocked 6700k.

Just keep in mind when you're comparing the passmark stats that they're not going to be exact numbers, there are a ton of users who have overclocked 4790k chips who've ran benchmarks. And the 6700k and 7700k's will continue to rise on that list as time goes by. (As more overclocked results come in)

• MetallicGloss said:

We tried using a non-k processor, which ran at 4GHz. It did the job, however, wasn't the best it could be

Can I ask how many threads you're running? If you're using hyperthreading to any extent (i.e. more than 4 active threads) then each one is losing considerable speed. With 8 threads each one gets maybe 60% of single core performance, i.e. you end up with a little less than the equivalent of 5 non-hyperthreaded cores. But if you turn off HT completely you get 4 threads each with 100% of single core performance. So that might help more than bleedging edge cpus, though of course you only get half as many game servers per cpu.

• MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

@Swiftnode said:
    Some providers run desktop motherboards which allow you to overclock which would be your best bet.

I believe that is currently what we have on our current hardware tbh.

@Swiftnode said:
    Stock 6700k beats stock 4790k.

Stock 7700k beats stock 6700k.

Overclocked 6700k beats overclocked 4790k.

Overclocked 7700k beats overclocked 6700k.

Just keep in mind when you're comparing the passmark stats that they're not going to be exact numbers, there are a ton of users who have overclocked 4790k chips who've ran benchmarks. And the 6700k and 7700k's will continue to rise on that list as time goes by. (As more overclocked results come in)

Don't get me wrong; they are excellent processors, I have a 6700K on my home desktop, however running the software and the programs on the same hardware. We found that the 4790k did slightly better than the 6700k (we haven't reached to the 7700k as those servers are still hella expensive). That and the fact that the 6700k machines are usually more costly by providers than the older hardware we have never have. We run the 4790k on all our other servers in other locations with no problem at all - maybe in the future, we can upgrade, but for the time we don't want to change what is already perfect for us, plus also spend more for no noticeable difference in performance.

@willie said:
    Can I ask how many threads you're running? If you're using hyperthreading to any extent (i.e. more than 4 active threads) then each one is losing considerable speed.

I do not believe we use hyperthreading at all; we looked at it, however, nothing ever came of it.

@willie said:
    So that might help more than bleedging edge cpus, though of course you only get half as many game servers per cpu.

Currently, we have no issues with the hardware we use, and have no wish to change until there is a large reason for us to do so. :) We will definitely look into it though to make sure the hyperthreading is not enabled.

Current progress update for all future viewers of this thread

So far, I have contacted 6 different companies with DCs in Chicago, most of them won't go anywhere near an Intel Core processor, with the couple that did only going with the i7 6700k but charging almost double that I currently pay for the 4790k in all the other locations I rent. So far, the only one I have some chance of is with Colostore and Jay. Still pending a response from him.

VortexMagnus said: ak to Jay at ColoStore. Not quite in Chicago, but not far away.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

I know people who also use i7-4790k servers, mainly OVH MC32s to run game servers as well, for instance the Minecraft Java game server is single threaded and the i7-4790k runs the single threads a lot better than some other CPUs and high clock speeds as well helps with tick rates under high load so I see why it's desirable in that case. Some server owners swear by those CPUs for running that specific game. The server software still will run just fine on an E3, that's just one example though.

I don't have any experience with games such as Source powered ones like TF2 or Counter-Strike so I can't speak on behalf of those games. A lot of newer MP game servers can take advantage of multiple CPU cores as once. I don't want to try and assume what specific game you're running but I've seen theads on the 4790k coming up before in the game server hosting industry, hence why OVHs first game server was a 4790k.

As far as a i7-4790k dedicated server in Chicago goes I don't have a lot of suggestions on that

@ethancedrik said:
    for instance the Minecraft Java game server is single threaded and the i7-4790k runs the single threads a lot better than some other CPUs and high clock speeds as well helps with tick rates under high load so I see why it's desirable in that case. Some server owners swear by those CPUs for running that specific game.

Yeah. :)

@ethancedrik said:
    I don't want to try and assume what specific game you're running but I've seen theads on the 4790k coming up before in the game server hosting industry, hence why OVHs first game server was a 4790k.

As far as a i7-4790k dedicated server in Chicago goes I don't have a lot of suggestions on that

No problem, if I don't get a response back from Jay from Colostore ill just look to colocating some servers in Chicago. But yeah, the CPU is decent in the game world.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

MetallicGloss said: if I don't get a response back from Jay from Colostore ill just look to colocating some servers in Chicago.

Yeah, if you can find someone that offers colocation in Equinix's Chicago datacenter that is a pretty nice place to keep your servers http://www.equinix.com/locations/united-states-colocation/chicago-data-centers/

Hopefully you'll be able to find something under $100

• i7 goes in your basement, where it belongs.

• Something really seems wrong with that software if it demands a specific rare processor whose performance is just a few percent different from a more common one.

edited February 2017

@ethancedrik said:

Yeah, if you can find someone that offers colocation in Equinix's Chicago datacenter that is a pretty nice place to keep your servers http://www.equinix.com/locations/united-states-colocation/chicago-data-centers/

Hopefully you'll be able to find something under $100

Thank you, currently have quotes between $65 - $80

@Hxxx said:
    i7 goes in your basement, where it belongs.

I wish it could but it's suck in datacentres and hones around the worls being used for gaming and hosting. :P

@willie said:
    Something really seems wrong with that software if it demands a specific rare processor whose performance is just a few percent different from a more common one.

Sorry if I haven't been clear, the software itself doesn't need a specific 'rare' processor to run, however as mentioned we have found it runs best due to the clockrate - haven't tried the 7700k yet - and it is more stable and smooth to run.

The programs are game servers, and as you are aware they also run on most other CPUs but comparing the performance to an E3 for servers isn't anywhere near as good, E5s may be, but are also a LOT more expensive.

This is the same answer for a lot of others that this 'rare' processor seems to do the job quite a bit better than a more expensive one. This is the reason why OVH (multi billion dollar datacentre organisation with 10+ datacentres) use it as their CPU of choice for their smaller game dedis, and why NitrousNetworks (one of the biggest if not the biggest Game Service Provider) also use them.

Ill be more than happy to continue this thread if anyone wishes to ask questions.

In answer to my original question I now have an answer:

Option 1 - Colocate in Chicago, current companies I am looking at are USDedicated and HostVenom.

Option 2 - NavicoSoft have offered the exact specs I need for $84 in Chicago.

• MetallicGloss said: as mentioned we have found it runs best due to the clockrate - haven't tried the 7700k yet - and it is more stable and smooth to run.

That's what I mean, if the software becomes unstable or rough with a slightly slower processor, I'd say it requires the faster processor, which tells me something is wrong.

E5's tend to have more cores and more total performance than E3's, but the single thread performance is usually worse.

@willie said:
    That's what I mean, if the software becomes unstable or rough with a slightly slower processor, I'd say it requires the faster processor, which tells me something is wrong.

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from - from testing that is our result and seems to be for lots of others. Most of the games we run are single thread such as Garrys Mod.

We have found the exact specs we need, and we know they do the job as we need them to so they are the specs we will be sticking with. We now have a quote for the specs so will be going through with that order shortly.