Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest me proprietary VPN client (OpenVPN)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest me proprietary VPN client (OpenVPN)

bigcatbigcat Member
edited February 2017 in Help

Good day everyone,

My company is an enterprise-y company which have a rules for certain department to not allow open source software to be installed on their workstation.

Its a compliance thing, so I'm not complaining.

Hence I'm looking for proprietary VPN client. I already have OpenVPN server.

• Platform: Windows & Mac
  • Features: Can connect to OpenVPN server
  • Customer Support: Yes

So far I only know about Viscocity

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Viscosity is the only one I can suggest (I was going to until I saw you mentioned it). I've used it for a few years and wouldn't use anything else.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • instead of openvpn why not go for cisco anyconnect route?

• @belinik said:
    instead of openvpn why not go for cisco anyconnect route?

Can you summarize this?

From Cisco's page, I don't quite get what this is. Is this an appliance, server software or a client?

Anyway, the rest of the company have been using OpenVPN server together with OpenVPN client just fine. Only this department have issue because they dealt directly with client's data.

• @bigcat said:

@belinik said:

Can you summarize this?

From Cisco's page, I don't quite get what this is. Is this an appliance, server software or a client?

Anyway, the rest of the company have been using OpenVPN server together with OpenVPN client just fine. Only this department have issue because they dealt directly with client's data.

Cisco AnyConnect is an NSA-backdoor implemented version of L2TP / IPSec. Highly recommended!

• @maldovia said:

@bigcat said:

@belinik said:

Can you summarize this?

Cisco AnyConnect is an NSA-backdoor implemented version of L2TP / IPSec. Highly recommended!

You get CEPH storage backup on NSA servers for free AND still complaining. Eh.

• Viscosity is pretty good, cheap, and regularly updated

• @MikeA said:
    Viscosity is the only one I can suggest (I was going to until I saw you mentioned it). I've used it for a few years and wouldn't use anything else.

** assuming that you're not cheap and are willing to pay for a license

• @MikeA said:

@NanoG6 said:
    Viscosity is pretty good, cheap, and regularly updated

Just curious, is there any other proprietary VPN client that support Windows & Mac, that you guys know of?

• @doghouch said:

@MikeA said:

** assuming that you're not cheap and are willing to pay for a license

As for my case, money is not an issue

• Last place I worked at had Viscosity because of both OS being usable

• I end up recommending only Viscosity & Shimo VPN(Mac only) to my management.

They seems to inclined on Viscosity anyway, since its multi platformed.

Thanks everyone.