Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't we even raised PayPal dispute? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't we even raised PayPal dispute?

2»

Comments

• @Freelancenerds said:
    @VortexMagnus You seem to be a respected provider, but have you ever threatened anyone with a fraud record?

I think we've told clients straight that we have reported them to anti-fraud bureau's or similar if they've launched PayPal disputes because we didn't install their illegal Windows ISO's for them or similar.

But I'm certain we have never said 'Oi, we will report you to FraudRecord if you do that'.

• Is there no one that monitors Fraud Record?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

sin said: Is there no one that monitors Fraud Record?

no, well sort of, but the guy maintains and runs it for free so I don't blame him for only responding once in a bluemoon, the bigger problem is he wont let us hosts pay for the service for some bizarre reason.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I think fraud record can be great, the problem is there is no accountability built in to it and very little process.

Is there any sort of reputation system built in? For example you're seeing all these ridiculous entries, is it possible for you to flag them so other providers not familiar with Tenacious D will see they submit 90% bullshit?

@Ree nope.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @Ree nope.

Doesn't FR form a judgement of providers and the validity of their reports by scoring them?

VortexMagnus said: Doesn't FR form a judgement of providers and the validity of their reports by scoring them?

Say that again but different please?

• @AnthonySmith said:

VortexMagnus said: Doesn't FR form a judgement of providers and the validity of their reports by scoring them?

Haha, sorry.

For providers, Fraud Record lists this for example:

Reliability 1

Which provides an overall reliability score?

out of possible 10

In their own words:

This is a measure of reliability, depending on the reporting members. It is NOT meant to be a measure of the validity of a report. Every new member of our team of reporting companies starts with a reliability of 1, and their reliability points increase over time, depending on many criteria. A reliability of 1 may mean a report by a new member, it does not necessarily mean that the report is inaccurate. Higher values, up to 10, mean the reporting members gained the trust of our system over time, and their reports are taken more seriously by our system.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Doesn't FR f*ck with customers and always listen to providers regardless of the validity?

edited February 2017

Ah ok yeah, I don't think the rep system was ever actually implemented though.

edit, looks like it was, seems the maximum any individual host has is 1 and it is not automated so is entirely at the will of Harzem.

example: https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=d9ca61b93d04b54d

This has a reliability of 7.5 with 13 x rep score = 1 reports... good stuff.

That particular report has some great examples of what this is not supposed to be used for in the mix.

edit 2, just checked 20 pages, every host, even those who have been using it since day 1 (me and a few others included) has a rep score of 1.0, so yeah, was a nice idea, it was never implemented fully it seems.

• I take it there's no sensible means of finding out if your email address is listed on FR? I've pretty much been a model customer (even if I do say so myself), so I'd be interested to see if I pop up on there.

Nekki said: I take it there's no sensible means of finding out if your email address is listed on FR? I've pretty much been a model customer (even if I do say so myself), so I'd be interested to see if I pop up on there.

Your not listed, clean as a whistle!

• AnthonySmith said: Your not listed, clean as a whistle!

TIGHT. Cheers for checking.

Thanked by 1VortexMagnus
  • HarzemHarzem Member
    edited March 2017

sin said: Is there no one that monitors Fraud Record?

Not pro-actively, but when I get a request.

AnthonySmith said: look in to getting an alternative made with an actual appeal system and a notification system for 'logged' accounts.

I'm developing a new appeal system, based on "innocent until proven guilty" kind of idea, when a customer disputes a report. That is, when someone disputes a report, the report is automatically set to zero points, but still visible on report pages, and both sides will be able to explain their side of the issue (even link to a public discussion forum).

AnthonySmith said: the bigger problem is he wont let us hosts pay for the service for some bizarre reason.

There is the sponsorship option, which is exactly what you want :) But I realize the "all free" system isn't sustainable on the long term, so I'm adding many new incentives to sponsors soon, to encourage being a sponsor. Existing or new free accounts won't lose any functionality or be limited in any way though.

doghouch said: Doesn't FR f*ck with customers and always listen to providers regardless of the validity?

I've removed many many reports, on requests of customers. But mostly they are bullshit reasons. Last time, some guy asked to be removed, while he had 4 records from 4 different companies about the same issue.

AnthonySmith said: Ah ok yeah, I don't think the rep system was ever actually implemented though.

That's correct. I had let that slip, because I was hoping to develop it after hosts have created enough reports to get a rep point, but it got delayed again and again. I'm now developing a new reputation system, which is based on companies' report/query counts, as well as a "thumbs up/down" system on individual reports in which other companies can vote. The company with D can be voted down if everyone hates them so much.

Nekki said: I take it there's no sensible means of finding out if your email address is listed on FR?

You can register and make a query, but I'm now also developing a new "customer account" system where you can not only query your own data, but also set up monitors so you can be notified if you are reported.

• Will just avoid these companies that has unfair terms and conditions.

• @Harzem

Until now my opinion on FR as excessively bad (based on what info I had). I'm still highly critical as there are many indications of FR operating in the shadows (seem from the concerned users) and utterly biased (or at will abusable by providers).

What I just read here about your position, ideas, and plans, makes me think again, though.

Sure enough, providers need some means of protecting themselves against fraudulent and criminal "customers" as well as against spammers, etc.
    At the same time, however, customers need to have their basic rights respected, too. I'm glad to see that you seem to work in that direction.

Idea: Give marks to providers, too, so as to discern between "quick shooters" and serious, well reflected ones.

Thanked by 1Hxxx