Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS types, pros and cons for usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS types, pros and cons for usage

Hi I am new to VPS. I am looking to get one because I want more flexibility in what my online services (currently I only have a website hosted with siteground.com) offer me.

I have been looking at a number of different providers, what I've seen now is that there are usually VZ and KVM plans, and they both have SSD and SSD-Cached in each type.

I am hoping to use the VPS for a website, VPN and maybe owncloud if possible, so of the different types of plans would I see much of a performance difference between the types, especially for the VPN ability?

Other questions I have are:
Can I run two websites from one VPS? (2 domain names)
Do I have to configure my own email server on a VPS, or is it set up for me? (use my own domain for email)
Is it difficult to change VPS provider once you are set up? Can you do like a disk image download and load it up at another provider? Is it a big hassle to move?

Comments

1. Two websites from one VPS - yes, no problem with virtual domains and SNI if you want SSL.

2. Email server - you can run it yourself but it's a bad idea if you don't know what you're doing. Suggest using hosted email. mxroute.com run by LET's moderator Jarland is a reasonable place to start.

3. Moving stuff between servers is not hard if you know what you're doing, but these questions make it sound like unmanaged VPS isn't the right thing for you if you just want to make your stuff happen, as opposed to exploring a new learning experience.

4. If all you really want is some web sites and email, you probably should consider shared web hosting rather than VPS. I'm happy with buyshared.net and there are many other providers around here too.

5. SSD is preferable to SSD-Cached but much more expensive per GB. If you need lots of space (30+ GB say), SSD-cached can save significant money. If you need less than 30GB or so, pay the extra and get SSD.

• I am looking at it more for the learning experience, I have played around for years at home with Linux machines running servers from them, http, ftp, owncloud, LDAP, and web based software like invoiceplane. I moved almost all of this to my shared server webhosting accounts but I am paying $240 USD annually just for our 2 websites, then throw in paying for a VPN as well, VPS looks like something that interests me.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Hello,

Even if you have some experience i suggest you to choose firstly a server with a panel.

• Even if you have some experience i suggest you to choose firstly a server with a panel.

Does that happen with vps unless you pay a bunch extra? I thought it was mostly a shared hosting thing. I never used a panel til hanging around here and enrolling with buyshared. Otherwise, just use the apache or nginx docs, google searches etc.

• @cabji said:
    I am looking at it more for the learning experience, I have played around for years at home with Linux machines running servers from them, http, ftp, owncloud, LDAP, and web based software like invoiceplane. I moved almost all of this to my shared server webhosting accounts but I am paying $240 USD annually just for our 2 websites, then throw in paying for a VPN as well, VPS looks like something that interests me.

Get a Buyshared reseller account (20$ annually) for your sites and emails. Get a slice (KVM vps) from buyvm (same people) for learning and VPN and you are set.

@francisco

• What is meant by a "panel"? I'm no stranger to using a CLI if thats the alternate to using a panel.

Thanks for all the advice so far, i will be investigating all the options given.

• Also, can i just install a panel if one is not available?

• @cabji said:
    What is meant by a "panel"? I'm no stranger to using a CLI if thats the alternate to using a panel.

Thanks for all the advice so far, i will be investigating all the options given.

Yes, panel essentially provides GUI for stuff you can do with cli. If you are ok with cli, stick to it.

@willie when you order any kind of server at the OS step you can choose OS+plesk.

A licence is charged.

• Ikoula said:

@willie when you order any kind of server at the OS step you can choose OS+plesk.

Sure, the thing is that the licenses are typically more expensive than the vps itself, unless the vps is rather large. While with shared hosting you usually get access through a panel at no extra cost.

Yes but you can host more than one website on a dedi.

There are multi domains web hostings but there is a difference between multi domains in one web hosting and hosting websites on a dedi + there is less limitations.