Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lightweight mail server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

lightweight mail server

What do you use as a lightweight mali server for outgoing e-mails only
I need a Mail Server For my Forum to send and receive emails.

So it should:

be lightweight and small in size
simple to configure
secure
support SMTP,( IMAP POP3 is optional)
install clean

Comments

• What's you monthly volume? Did you consider using any of the transactional mail providers out there?

• It kind of doesn't work that way any more. Spam has destroyed email to the point where it takes a lot of attention to run a mail server, both for inbound spam filtering and outbound abuse prevention. Much as I like self-hosting, your life will be easier with a hosted service.

Thanked by 2WSS jar
  • i tryed to use Gmail as email server withVbulletin

but i allways get

PHP User Warning: 530 Unexpected response from SMTP server during FROM address transmission in ..../includes/class_mail.php on line 716

• eraser said: i tryed to use Gmail as email server withVbulletin

Did you try SendGrid or MailGun?

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@eraser said:
    i tryed to use Gmail as email server withVbulletin

but i allways get

PHP User Warning: 530 Unexpected response from SMTP server during FROM address transmission in ..../includes/class_mail.php on line 716

I think gmail has a limit. You are better of using something like Postmark if time-to-inbox and a high delivery rate is important for you.

• @MrKaruppu
    well

Both are unknown to me Which one can you recommend?

• Both are good. You can start with SendGrid. They provide 10000 outgoing free emails per month.

If you need inbound email as well, you can use MailGun.

MXRoute is worth considering if you want paid emails.

Thanked by 1jar
  • erasereraser Member
    edited February 2017

thank you

@MrKaruppu You probably mean MailGun?

on SendGrid i found only 40,000 email plan, free for 30 days

Is there a guide how to configure Mailgun With CloudFlare?

thanks

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

eraser said: on SendGrid i found only 40,000 email plan, free for 30 days

I think SendGrid has stopped the free tier plan. May be because of abuse. You can configure mailgun with Cloudflare. Just point the MX records to MailGun's servers.

-- https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/19043/how-to-set-up-email-forwarding-for-your-domain-using-mailgun

-- https://www.chrisanthropic.com/blog/2014/mail-forwarding-with-mailgun-and-cloudflare/

• @willie said:
    It kind of doesn't work that way any more. Spam has destroyed email to the point where it takes a lot of attention to run a mail server, both for inbound spam filtering and outbound abuse prevention.

That's just not true. Spam is a solved problem. I do zero inbound filtering, and there are a limited number of accounts that are authorized to send outgoing mail. It takes very little extra attention to deal with abuse specifically related to SMTP. HTTP and SSH are much greater concerns.

What is true is that you're going to have some (minor) deliverability issues until you establish a reputation. If the OP is looking to validate emails associated with forum accounts, that might be an issue.

Much as I like self-hosting, your life will be easier with a hosted service.

That's also true for just about any service. Nobody with two neurons to rub together goes with a VPS because they expect it to be easier than shared hosting.

• I use Mailgun on a community forum and quite happy so far.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 2017

impossiblystupid said: Spam is a solved problem. I do zero inbound filtering,

Emails known only to you don't count. Post a few of those email addresses all over the web and let us know if your problem remains solved.

Thanked by 3jar yomero bugrakoc
  • Maybe opensmtpd?

Thanked by 2WSS flatland_spider
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2017

@impossiblystupid said:
    Spam is a solved problem.

Thanked by 2dedicados vimalware
  • edited February 2017

Laughing doesn't make it any less true. If you refuse to adopt the solutions (or choose to profit from the problem), that's on you, @jarland. As a mail provider, you should get with the program.

I was getting 5000 spam/day by the time I decided to stop using spamcop.net and follow a real anti-spam process. Now I get maybe 1 message a day that's spammy (usually a crap job offer sent to a job board account). I haven't seen what most people think of as "normal" spam in well over a decade.

• @raindog308 said:
    Emails known only to you don't count. Post a few of those email addresses all over the web and let us know if your problem remains solved.

All my email addresses on the web are not only "all over", they are clickable. Did you not even bother to visit my blog? As a bonus, here's a direct link to a spam spidering experiment that I did.

• I, too, recommend OpenSMTPd. It's trivial to setup and manage- however, you WILL spend time ensuring your IP space is clean, because some asshole will flag your automated messages as spam.

Of course, if you wanted to be a huge wanker, you could easily make a handful of gmail accounts, and rotate through them using sSMTP if you are having issues with volume. I don't suggest doing this, since they'll eventually notice and block you.

Thanked by 2flatland_spider sin
    edited February 2017

@impossiblystupid said:
    Laughing doesn't make it any less true. If you refuse to adopt the solutions (or choose to profit from the problem), that's on you, @jarland. As a mail provider, you should get with the program.

I was getting 5000 spam/day by the time I decided to stop using spamcop.net and follow a real anti-spam process. Now I get maybe 1 message a day that's spammy (usually a crap job offer sent to a job board account). I haven't seen what most people think of as "normal" spam in well over a decade.

So you're accusing me of profiting from spam by not alienating my customers by forcing them into workflows that only work for you in your tiny little single domain self hosted bubble? Alright, listen here you little prick. Admin gloves off, it's just me here.

You can be a smug asshole all you want, it's your most marketable skill on LET recently for some reason. You've abandoned intellectual discourse for "I need to insult people and pretend to be smarter than everyone to feel good about myself." The idea that you've "solved" spam and that everyone else is stupid or profiting from spam is hilarious. We all know your process, firewall off the internet and use disposable addresses for everything. Call it an over simplification but that's pretty much it. That's not compatible with anywhere near everyone's needs. But what do I know, I just run mail servers, I'm not a fucking pseudo-intellectual know-it-all neckbeard who fixed one problem in one single user instance and declares himself the universal authority on the problem.

You have absolutely no idea what it's like to manage anything email related at scale. Your cute little toy servers for you own mail do not give you the godlike insight over the entirety of what other people face that you think it does. Not even mxroute gives me that, but it sure gives me a lot more sample data than your little personal email. HostGator did, however, give me godlike insight into spam problems.

Literally you, should be your new avatar. For every time you pop in a thread and misinform people about things for the sole purpose of trying to make others look stupid and elevate yourself smugly:

I sell packages every day, I don't even need to market here, I'm just feeling like calling out your smug bullshit lately where you argue endlessly with people in the voice of the "know it all IT guy" just to elevate yourself at the cost of obfuscating discussion and confusing members who are asking for help.

Now I look forward to your next wall of text where you smugly attempt, again, to elevate yourself as the single authority for issues which you have extremely limited experience with. Start an email host and compete with me so I can buy service and berate you here daily for your failure to provide a service that actually works for other people or doesn't end up solving what you claim is "solved."

It's so easy to pretend to be perfect when you don't actually do anything but foam at the mouth.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Postfix on a VPS will be cheaper than any email service, and fits your requirements.

• @impossiblystupid, I got curious and decided to check out your blog. I found it very confusing to navigate and search for information I came for. Maybe that's just me. Clicked on a link to send you email and saw that you generate address on the fly based on factors like topic and sender's IP. That is a novel and intriguing approach but not something particularly fit for my personal or business purposes. It would be rather cumbersome to say over phone or print in paper medium, if not impossible per se. If I misunderstood your solution please provide a link for your blogpost or something.

@jarland, I have a question. Inside that person's mouth, below the upper lip - is it two teeth, a flicking tongue or a pair of balls? You keep me at the edge of my seat in anticipation. Thank you in advance.

@Yura said:
    @jarland, I have a question. Inside that person's mouth, below the upper lip - is it two teeth, a flicking tongue or a pair of balls? You keep me at the edge of my seat in anticipation. Thank you in advance.

I think it's two teeth on top and full teeth on bottom.

• @jarland said:

@Yura said:

I can fully agree with you on the "Two Teeth" Proposal #17 if you are willing to accept that below them is a rather meaty full lower lip. "Full Teeth On Bottom" is rather unacceptable and I hope you will come to the same conclusion.

Thanked by 3jar WSS bugrakoc

@Yura said:

@jarland said:

@Yura said:

I can fully agree with you on the "Two Teeth" Proposal #17 if you are willing to accept that below them is a rather meaty full lower lip. "Full Teeth On Bottom" is rather unacceptable and I hope you will come to the same conclusion.

It's plausible but now I'm wondering what happened to his top lip...

Thanked by 1Yura
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

Also, his ear is an upside-down nutsack. The penis is removed as he is a UNIX.

Thanked by 2jar Yura
  • @jarland said:

@Yura said:

@jarland said:

It's plausible but now I'm wondering what happened to his top lip...

Without going into macabre and morbid details, it would suffice to say that an alien lifeform (conveniently disguised as a nose) consumed his upper lip. It lead to unsightly exposure of a rather sad state of dentistry in the Neckbeardstan.

@WSS said:
    Also, his ear is an upside-down nutsack.

Giving your universally recognized reputation as an expert in "everything weird and then some", I simply nod to your motion and scratch that hypothesis of "tunnell piercing ripped out by an 8 years old bully" off the list. We will never mention that again.

• @impossiblystupid spam is a solved problem? Yeah right... Now I know where does your username come from...

sin said: Maybe opensmtpd?

I like opensmtpd and find it the easiest to setup. Then again, postfix is also pretty easy to setup. So is exim4.

Heck, all you need to do for either postfix or exim4 is install the apt and then dpkg-reconfigure and you're pretty much done...

...as far as the MTA. But you still need anti-virus, anti-spam, etc.

Thanked by 2WSS sin
  • Mailcow

• @raindog308 said:
    Heck, all you need to do for either postfix or exim4 is install the apt and then dpkg-reconfigure and you're pretty much done...

Do you remember the old days of needing m4 and understanding the crap that is sendmail.cf? Hell- remember when qmail was a good idea? I do! I went Postfix and never went back (until OpenSMTPd, when I finally jumped ship)

WSS said: Do you remember the old days of needing m4 and understanding the crap that is sendmail.cf?

You. Bastard.

m4 had just reached the outer limits of my long-term memory and now you've pushed it back front and center. Now I'll never forget it.

Yeah, I did sendmail, then postfix, then opensmtpd.

Thanked by 1WSS