Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VestaCP and Virtualmin Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VestaCP and Virtualmin Review

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

alaningus said: I think if you're using Virtualmin, then you're using Webmin as well?

Of course, I mean, long ago I used webmin alone on debian to quickly setup a server, when i needed to setup a host, virtualmin came handy, then.
    I still tried various things out there in the hope I find something most people can install and not bug me, but, in the end, virtualmin is the winner, better to know well the quirks of one panel instead of more, after all, I have to offer the support in the end :P

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • +1 for virtualmin , its nice when you need a GUI , but I rarely need one these days .

I now prefer debian and CLI.

• @raindog308 said:

@SwellJoe said:

>

On the MySQL root password issue, this one comes from there already being a MySQL/MariaDB root password set...before Virtualmin ever touched the system. A fresh install that doesn't have MySQL on it shouldn't run into this (AFAIK), but many hosting VPS images have MySQL configured, and they have a root password set as part of the imaging process.

I hear what you're saying but that's not what happened here.

To help make Virtualmin better, this morning I created a new 1024MB Linode at their Fremont DC. I built it with Debian 8.

Here is a walk through of everything I did. Long story short, from a virgin Deb 8 I verified no MySQL was installed, installed Virtualmin, and got the Mysql bug. At no time did I manually install Mysql or set the password:

http://pastebin.com/hW46aYKp

If I image Deb 8 and manually install Mysql, the root password is blank, so Virtualmin is somehow setting it before it forgets it. Let me know if I can assist.

I've opened a ticket for Jamie about this one. His concern was that anything communicating with MySQL already would break...but, 90+% of the time the wizard is running on a fresh system, and shouldn't need to worry about that. So, it'll issue a warning but will allow resetting the password. That'll probably be in Virtualmin 6 coming in a week or two.

You can follow that discussion here: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/48108

We've been focusing on usability a lot in recent versions, ever since Ilia joined the team, so we always welcome feedback about what people are finding frustrating. Sometimes, we're just too deep in the thing to recognize when something is intimidating (we've been working on Virtualmin for ~13 years and Webmin for 20, so it's all easy and obvious to us...but that doesn't mean it is actually easy or obvious for everyone).

• @SwellJoe
    Just to let you know I install MariaDB and set a password before opening my browser to set up Virtualmin and I don't get that bug.

• @SwellJoe We've been focusing on usability a lot in recent versions, ever since Ilia joined the team, so we always welcome feedback about what people are finding frustrating. Sometimes, we're just too deep in the thing to recognize when something is intimidating (we've been working on Virtualmin for ~13 years and Webmin for 20, so it's all easy and obvious to us...but that doesn't mean it is actually easy or obvious for everyone).

Any chance the Virtualmin HTML5 theme could have some speed improvements? I'm still on the old layout (and perhaps a few other people are too) because it takes a while to load.

Great work and looking forward to v6.

Thanked by 1solarman