Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS SMTP problem.. Need some help.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS SMTP problem.. Need some help.

So basically, i have installed whmcs, the whmcs portal is hosted on a turnkeyinternet account, for my emails i use mxroute, and the domain with whmcs portal and all the website in fact are under cloudflare firewall. I have used all the damn tutorials, to send emails with phpmail, with smtp from mxroute, gmail, and native smtp.. i don't get any damn mail. And in all Activity logs i get this damn error..

Email Sending Failed - SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

I don't know what to do anymore.. to send this damn emails.. maybe you guys can tell me something i don't do well.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I will tag our mail expert in here @Jarland , And on the other side, you should probably share with us what settings you're using on your WHMCS in terms of ports and etc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sounds like SMTP outbound may be blocked on server. Do telnet test from server. If that fails and your firewall is open, ask provider to unblock SMTP.

• AlexBarakov said: And on the other side, you should probably share with us what settings you're using on your WHMCS in terms of ports and etc.

Man, for smtp ports i use the usual ones.. 25 for non-ssl/non-tls.. 465 for ssl, 587 for tls.. what to say more.. i have tried even to send this emails with google smtp also.. nothing happen'd.

• Have you contacted the host to see if port 25 outbound is blocked?

• on the server i host whmcs, the port 25 is open. but i am trying to sent messages with mxroute.. for exemple ..

• @Catalin - what everyone has been saying/implying is:

Please run the following command and see if you get successfully connected:

telnet smtp.gmail.com 25

I don't know if you have "special" MX settings but I just quickly did a dig mxroute.com MX and got ocean.mxroute.com as one host. So please also try telnet ocean.mxroute.com 25 and see if you can connect.

You can also try with ports 465 and 587 to see what ports (outward) are allowed by your hosting provider.

Hopefully this'll help.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

Seems smtp block is enabled on server end. Contact with your hosting provider.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

Have you contacted WHMCS support? The PHP mailer has had issues in the past, pretty sure it has something to do if you have TLS or SSL settings enabled with an older version.

Maybe try, if you're not already, using 8bit as encoding and SSL set to none to test with port 25. Otherwise if that doesn't work try contacting WHMCS directly, their support is good.

• i had tested another option.. not using nor ssl/tls, and using web hosting smtp.. on port 25, it works, but i cannot get emails on my gmail account. Most sure this is from my hosting. But i will move whmcs installation on a subdomain, on other server.. not the same as the main website. Hope will work. I was thinking that can mess all things cloudflare protection, because cloudflare dosn't have 25/465/587 ports open.. or i did not found anything about these ports beeing open.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

@Catalin said:
    i had tested another option.. not using nor ssl/tls, and using web hosting smtp.. on port 25, it works, but i cannot get emails on my gmail account. Most sure this is from my hosting. But i will move whmcs installation on a subdomain, on other server.. not the same as the main website. Hope will work. I was thinking that can mess all things cloudflare protection, because cloudflare dosn't have 25/465/587 ports open.. or i did not found anything about these ports beeing open.

You shouldn't be trying to use the hostname that's behind CloudFlare for mail anyways. If it works on port 25 without SSL/TLS then check your mail log for errors why the mail was rejected from Gmail.

• @Catalin said: because cloudflare dosn't have 25/465/587 ports open.. or i did not found anything about these ports beeing open.

CloudFlare is only ingress, your server won't connect outbound using it.

• @Catalin , is your whmcs sending mails with php email function ? if is this maybe this features is disabled in the server.

• What do you get when you add this to configuration.php

$smtp_debug='true';

• I found the problem. The mailserver had smtp blocked for external use. So i moved whmcs to another server.. and now all things are better. Thanks guys for helping me. Thats why i like this community..

• I had same issue. I asked the company to whitelist the domain for SMTP and it's all good now :)