Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Place For A Chicago Dedicated Server i7 4790k?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Place For A Chicago Dedicated Server i7 4790k?

MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep

Hello.
I'm still quite new to LowEnd so if this is in the wrong place just let me know.

I am currently scanning providers for an i7 4790k dedicated server, with 32GB RAM and SSD storage in Chicago. After looking, there are hardly any hosts in Chicago that actually sell Intel Core servers, as they are mainly Xeon servers.

I currently have the same specs in New York & France for about $75-$85 so was looking around that price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a host there, or could point me in the right direction as so far I have been unsuccessful.

Comments

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

You might want to open a ticket or send an email to ChicagoVPS sales. @nick

Thanked by 1Nick
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider

@MrKaruppu said:

Thanks for the mention!

While we don't have desktop grade CPU's we do have E3's etc. Why are you looking for the i7 vs E3?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Nick said:

@MrKaruppu said:

Thanks for the mention!

While we don't have desktop grade CPU's we do have E3's etc. Why are you looking for the i7 vs E3?

Same here, but he is probably after the clock speed vs stability.

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@Nick said:

@MrKaruppu said:

Thanks for the mention!

That's what I assumed.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Brandon @ HostVenom or @OSTKCabal @ Ready2Frag (Same company different brands) might be able to do something for you.

• Speak to Jay at ColoStore. Not quite in Chicago, but not far away.

• MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Thank you all for giving general guidance, it has definitely given me a base to work from.

@Nick said:
    Why are you looking for the i7 vs E3?

@Clouvider said:

Indeed. Intel Core processors may not be as stable as Xeon processors, however, are MUCH more efficient and effective for game servers due to the speed of the threads. The reason for the i7 4790 is that we have found after testing it compared to an E3, E5 or larger i7 it does the best job at what we need it to do.

@MeltedLux said:
    Brandon @ HostVenom or @OSTKCabal @ Ready2Frag (Same company different brands) might be able to do something for you.

Unfortunately they have run out of stock for that processor, and after I made a ticket with them before opening this chat they have no clue if / when it will ever be back in stock, so could only suggest an E3. HostVenom does have Intel Core servers, however don't publically advertise the CPU im looking for, just the younger brother of it. Ill definately get in touch and see what they can do, thanks!

@VortexMagnus said:
    Speak to Jay at ColoStore. Not quite in Chicago, but not far away.

We don't need it slap bang in the centre of Chicago, just closer to that area than our current datacentre in New York City. Could I get the direct contact information for Jay?

• I have no idea what they have, but Tzulo is pretty affordable and they offer colo / servers out Chicago. The network was a nice mix with the low latency I needed.

@Riz said:
    I have no idea what they have, but Tzulo is pretty affordable and they offer colo / servers out Chicago. The network was a nice mix with the low latency I needed.

Thanks for the suggestions, however unfortunately they don't have any Intel Core servers, the colocation would be good however that isn't really what I am looking for.

• @MetallicGloss said:

@Riz said:
    I have no idea what they have, but Tzulo is pretty affordable and they offer colo / servers out Chicago. The network was a nice mix with the low latency I needed.

Thanks for the suggestions, however unfortunately they don't have any Intel Core servers, the colocation would be good however that isn't really what I am looking for.

Just email [email protected]

Jay is a good guy.

edited February 2017

@VortexMagnus said:

Just email [email protected]

Jay is a good guy.

I attempted to send him an email, and got an auto reply informing me to signup to their support system :P Ill see how it goes.

• Try AYK Solutions. They resell from a lot of providers and could get you something from Tzulo. Last server I got from AYK was in Tzulo's Chicago facility.

@doughmanes said:
    Try AYK Solutions. They resell from a lot of providers and could get you something from Tzulo. Last server I got from AYK was in Tzulo's Chicago facility.

Thanks, I tried getting in touch, ill see what they can do.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • It seems to me that i7's and e3's of the same hw generation are similar in performance. I have an i7-3770 and an e3-1230v3 and if anything the e3 is a tad faster. And of course there are higher clocked e3's like the e3-1270 etc. The i7 does have the Intel GPU that the E3-1230 lacks, but the 12x5 models (E3-1245 etc) have it.

If there's a benchmark you'd like to see on the i7 and e3 I mentioned, I could try running it.

edited February 2017

No thank you, as mentioned previously in this post. We did originally try running an E3 and an E5 processor, however, found the i7 to be much more stable for the software which we need to run. @willie

• MetallicGloss said: found the i7 to be much more stable

How can an i7 be more stable than an E3 ? Please explain.

edited February 2017

We aren't running web applications; we are running game services which require the CPU to have a much higher clock rate to be able to run smoothly. Otherwise, the process becomes unstable or crashes. @FredQc

• MetallicGloss said: require the CPU to have a much higher clock rate

Are you overclocking the i7's somehow? What frequency do you run them at?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

MetallicGloss said: require the CPU to have a much higher clock rate

The turbo clock of an E3 - 1270v5 is 4GHz. The i7-4790k's base is 4GHz, turbo up to 4.4GHz so considerably more than any E3 can achieve, of course, even further if there was overclocking involved.

• SpartanHost said: The i7-4790k's base is 4GHz, turbo up to 4.4GHz so considerably more than any E3 can achieve, of course, even further if there was overclocking involved.

I see, that makes sense, the K parts really are faster. If Quebec is ok, you can get a crazy overclocked i7-7700K server with 5ghz turbo:

https://www.runabove.com/i7-kabylake-game-servers.xml

Wow!

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

SpartanHost said: The i7-4790k's base is 4GHz, turbo up to 4.4GHz so considerably more than any E3 can achieve, of course, even further if there was overclocking involved.

I see, that makes sense, the K parts really are faster. If Quebec is ok, you can get a crazy overclocked i7-7700K server with 5ghz turbo:

Wow!

Doesn't Runabove take back hardware/service once their testing period is over? Isn't Runabove just the testing platform?

• MikeA said: Doesn't Runabove take back hardware/service once their testing period is over? Isn't Runabove just the testing platform?

Not sure what the situation is with that: you might be able to continue the service after it's handed over to OVH. OVH currently has some overclocked Skylake game servers but not yet Kaby lake.

• @MetallicGloss said:
    I am currently scanning providers for an i7 4790k dedicated server ... in Chicago

I was looking for one too a while back and ended up going with OVH's Beauharnois DC in Canada for $79 per month. It's hard to find the 4790k at many locations. I needed it for the insane single thread speed. The latency was about double but very stable network and no problems with the server.

On a side note, I think the 4790k is still the fastest single thread processor you can get. IMHO that is sad since this processor was released Q2'14

• vish said:

On a side note, I think the 4790k is still the fastest single thread processor you can get.

Is that for real, compared with the 7700k which has both higher frequency and architectural improvements??

cpubenchmark.net copypasta:

• 12329, Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz
    • 11185 Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz

That puts the 7700k at slightly higher passmark per ghz than the 4790k, plus running at higher frequency, plus being OC'd to 5 ghz at OVH, plus having a much more powerful graphics unit. But that's passmark which might not be the same type of workload.

• vishvish Member
    edited February 2017

well I guess I'm wrong, I was using my previous information obtained from passmark but i just checked and it has been since updated

url: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

but yah, they are using a higher frequency so not sure how well that compares

and look at the 6700k which was always much lower than the 4790k

• here is a nice graph to show what I was referring to. Source is: https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/12/12/does-intels-core-i7-7700k-gaming-chip-deliver.aspx

• Thanks, that's interesting. I hadn't thought to look at the single thread cpubenchmarks page. It's funny that the fastest of them all is an i3. And the % difference between the single thread 4790k and 7700k passmarks is smaller than the multicore passmark % difference.

What kind of program is this, that becomes unstable unless it's running on the absolute fastest processors available?

edited February 2017

@SpartanHost said:

@willie said:

MetallicGloss said: require the CPU to have a much higher clock rate

The turbo clock of an E3 - 1270v5 is 4GHz. The i7-4790k's base is 4GHz, turbo up to 4.4GHz so considerably more than any E3 can achieve, of course, even further if there was overclocking involved.

Yeah, its mainly because of the clockrate, which as mentioned above is the fastest recent CPU.

@willie said:

Unfortunately, as good as OVH/RunAbove is, we are not looking for servers there. We already own the exact specifications as originally listed in Quebec. We also own the same hardware with another company in New York, so the location is the main reason for purchasing.

@willie said:
    Thanks, that's interesting. I hadn't thought to look at the single thread cpubenchmarks page. It's funny that the fastest of them all is an i3. And the % difference between the single thread 4790k and 7700k passmarks is smaller than the multicore passmark % difference.

What kind of program is this, that becomes unstable unless it's running on the absolute fastest processors available?

It doesn't need the absolute fastest processor, however we want to have the programs run on the best we can get for it. I run a GSP, so the programs being run are game servers. They need to be run at the highest performance, with the best CPU to be able to run smoothly without causing issues for players in game on a heavily developed server. We have found that this CPU runs games a LOT better than any E line of CPUs, and compared to other Intel Core CPUs which is why we need it specifically.

• MetallicGloss said: I run a GSP, so the programs being run are game servers.

You mean multiple game servers timesharing the cpu? Is it a matter of needing the server cpu to outcompute the fastest computers the players might be using, or something like that?

MetallicGloss said: We have found that this CPU runs games a LOT better than any E line of CPUs

Thanks, that's really interesting and surprising. Have you tried a slower i7, like a regular i7-4790 (non-K) and is that also stable? Have you tried a fast gpu-equipped e3, like an e3-1275v5? It seems worth trying to figure out what is going on.

edited February 2017

@willie said:

You mean multiple game servers timesharing the cpu? Is it a matter of needing the server cpu to outcompute the fastest computers the players might be using, or something like that?

Yeah, we run multiple game instances at the same time on the machine, each using a thread to operate (so the individual thread speed is a must). It isn't necessarily trying to outcompute what the players are using, more of the fact that if for example there are 8 game servers running; each with 20-50 people connected the server has to be able to keep the services running when under load, but still keeping it stable so that the in-game experience of the user is smooth.

@willie said:

Thanks, that's really interesting and surprising. Have you tried a slower i7, like a regular i7-4790 (non-K) and is that also stable? Have you tried a fast gpu-equipped e3, like an e3-1275v5? It seems worth trying to figure out what is going on.

We tried using a non-k processor, which ran at 4GHz. It did the job, however, wasn't the best it could be. Don't get me wrong, it was still a lot better than all the other processors we tried, but you could feel it was slightly down on power.

We haven't tried a GPU-equipped CPU that we know of; it might be worth a try soon if the thread speed is high. We initially tested with: i7 4790k, i7 6700k, E3-1270v5, E3 1231v3, D-1520 and E5-1650v4 however after testing all of those processors for our game services, not only had we run out of the funds to continue testing but there was a very clear winner even from that list. For that reason, we stuck with the i7 4790K, and currently, use it all the other datacentres we operate from. Having standard hardware with the same specs not only makes it easier for us, but also we know that it is going to be stable and do the job we need it to well.