Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use images on linode with windows system?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use images on linode with windows system?

I tried to install a windows 2003 system on linode, and want to use the system to make a image,but failed and showed
"Unable to create image. Unable to determine filesystem type."

as the staff answered as
" I apologize, taking a look it appears the disk on your Linode is a Windows disk. Our Images services can only create images of Linodes that utilize the ext3 and ext4 filesystem types. Windows most commonly uses NTFS."

anyone have ever tried this and succeed?
hope to have a solution

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

linode...I wonder where that name comes from...

Linux Node perhaps?

I have never heard of them supporting Windows.

And dude, 2003 is way past end of life. Can't imagine why you're using it...well, actually I can...

Thanked by 1maldovia
  • If support tells you that it will not work, how do you think anybody else can fix this for you?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited February 2017

@myhken said:
    If support tells you that it will not work, how do you think anybody else can fix this for you?

In many situations there are workarounds and "hacks". If you can't answer OP's question I don't see why you even bother commenting.

This might be worth looking into. But I would just go with another provider.

• @wicked But I did understand that the OP had managed to install Windows, but could not make image of the installation. Your video is just showing how to install Windows. Not taking a image of the installation.

• LeeLee Veteran

myhken said: If support tells you that it will not work, how do you think anybody else can fix this for you?

Because the $5 crew have arrived and need it to work.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2017

Seeing as I am more helpful than I appear, this is the method.

https://github.com/ClickSimply/docs/blob/windows-on-linode/docs/tools-reference/windows-on-linode/installing-windows-on-linode-vps.md

Probably take you 3 hours, not really worth it.

• @Lee

He has windows installed. He's trying to take a snapshot of it via the Linode images system.

@newkind

Not possible. The best you can do is make a new $5/mo linode and clone your windows disk to it

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

Oh, sorry, I miss-read, Must have lost interest when I seen the word Windows.