Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will prividers accept one third refund?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will prividers accept one third refund?

xiyanxiyan Member
edited February 2017 in General

I ordered a plan for half a year one month ago at ultravps.eu , their service is nice and stable. But I don't need it because my project is finished.

I thought the provider could only earn no more than two thirds of the money I paied. So I asked a one third refund even though I have no right to ask for a refund.

After discussion via ticket, they gave me a full refund.

I felt sad and guilty about it, I shouldn't do things like it.

I want to hear the oppinions on the providers' side. How do you think about such things and such clients like me?

After refund, I said that I didn't want a full refund and I wanted to gave the money back. But, they replied "we can only do full refunds. I've just refunded your latest invoice.
Everything is fine and I will set this ticket to resolved."

I am curious about why they can only do full refund.

Thank you for all your reply. I will return their money back and keep the contract.
I just misunderstood such thing in a wrong way that's why I ask the question here because I am a newcomer.

Will providers allow client to sell account to another? I noticed that someone sell google accounts to others and it seems that nobody blame them.

@ultravps.eu

Comments

• xiyan said: How do you think about such things and such clients like me?

Varies depending on the reason for refund and the client in question with us.

• Most billing software lets you "top up" your account with an arbitrary amount. You could put your 2/3rds in there and leave it.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2017

Things like this is why many hosts choose not to sell to Chinese.

Thanked by 2quick doghouch
  • i83 said: Varies depending on the reason for refund

xiyan said: I ordered a plan for half a year one month ago at ultravps.eu , their service is nice and stable. But I don't need it because my project is finished.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited February 2017

"I don't need it" is not a good reason for a partial refund. I guess you got a discounted price when you paid for 6 months, so it is not fair to ask for a partial refund based on that price.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you sign a contract with mobile phone provider for a year and decide after 2 months that you no longer need a mobile phone, can you just turn around and stop paying? It doesn't work that way. You got a discount based on your commitment and then you breached your end of the bargain.

• I had a somewhat similar situation in the past, I ended up by purchasing the same item again at a full price because I was supposed to know what I was doing at the beginning and because of my feelings too lol <- customer perspective

• rds100 said: Things like this is why many people choose not to sell to Chinese.

I made it very clear that I don't want a full refund but one thid refund. I didn't dispute it with paypal. Also, they have right to refuse my request. and I have right to ask for questions.

This is nothing to do with Chinese!

• Clouvider said: You got a discount based on your commitment and then you breached your end of the bargain.

I bought it for a full price without promotion code.

• Does their TOS have a policy for refunds?
    Something like 30 days money back 'No questions asked'

• exception0x876 said: it is not fair to ask for a partial refund based on this price

I mean the provider should earn their money from the deal of course. I mean stop my service can save enough resource for the next client, this is different from food. What i what to refund is this part of value.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@xiyan said:

Clouvider said: You got a discount based on your commitment and then you breached your end of the bargain.

I bought it for a full price without promotion code.

So the quarterly price was monthly x 3 ?

@xiyan said:

exception0x876 said: it is not fair to ask for a partial refund based on this price

I mean the provider should earn their money from the deal of course. I mean stop my service can save enough resource for the next client, this is different from food. What i what to refund is this part of value.

No, it doesn't work like that. Providers commit hardware, space and power and they plan this basing on commitments from their Clients.

Furthermore, with all due respect, but that's of no interest to you if the provider will be able to put another Customer on this resource. You have committed to X and you need to stick to X no matter if that's fair or unfair, this was the contract.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

xiyan said: This is nothing to do with Chinese!

Well in a PC ideal world... perhaps, real talk from a hosts perspective, the vast majority of requests that start like this are from China/India/south east Asia.

That is my direct experience over 7 years, I imagine the reason is not so much cultural but due to a weak currency, you don't see the same things coming from Singapore or Japan for example.

As you said you have no right to the refund but you asked anyway where most people would not bother and accept their commitment.

The next stage 99 times out of 100 if you are refused.. a paypal "not as described" or "not authorized claim", or at the very least 2 hours of ticket work going backwards and forwards arguing over the price of a bag of potato chips.

If you would not do that, you are the 1/100, well done :)

Sure it happens from every region but it is vastly weighted from yours, so a lot of hosts, which you have to remember are human beings just think "oh for f**k's sake" and hit the refund button. put you on the "do not offer service in the future" list and move on with their day.

I hope this is read with the intended intent, just to let you know how/why from a real world and honest perspective, it is not intended to marginalize or single out, its just the way things actually happen.

• Clouvider said: this was the contract.

Yeah, I agree.

• Given it was after about a month maybe they had a 30/60 days satisfaction guarantee which allows for full refund?

• Ympker said: Given it was after about a month maybe they had a 30/60 days satisfaction guarantee which allows for full refund?

No

• exception0x876 said: "I don't need it" is not a good reason for a partial refund. I guess you got a discounted price when you paid for 6 months, so it is not fair to ask for a partial refund based on that price.

It's their regular plan and I have to buy it for six months.(They don't allow me to buy it for a month in a higher price. The contract is at least six months) I didn't use a promo code so I don't know whether I got a discount.

• AnthonySmith said: The next stage 99 times out of 100 if you are refused.. a paypal "not as described" or "not authorized claim", or at the very least 2 hours of ticket work going backwards and forwards arguing over the price of a bag of potato chips.

LOL. Yeah , I am sorry that you are bothered in this way .

• AnthonySmith said: The next stage 99 times out of 100 if you are refused.. a paypal "not as described" or "not authorized claim", or at the very least 2 hours of ticket work going backwards and forwards arguing over the price of a bag of potato chips.

The truth is that I should focus on my project and earn more money.

• Keep it silent and don't post it on a forum and there is no problem.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I'd feel like a proper cheeky cunt asking for a partial refund on a plan even if I'd only used it for a month of a 12 month plan. I understand that money's tight for some people, but I'd rather be able to look at myself in the mirror.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2017

xiyan said: After discussion via ticket, they gave me a full refund.

I felt sad and guilty about it, I shouldn't do things like it.

You're lucky to have received a full refund. (I suspect that they were afraid of the possibility of a PayPal dispute and didn't want to take chances. By this I do not mean that you would have opened a PayPal dispute.)

The thing to bear in mind is that in the lowend market, the profit margins are tight, and so as a customer you should try to respect your side of the commitment for the price and period of the service that you have signed up for. The only exception should be if the provider does not honor their side of commitment. If you're uncertain about how long you will need the service, then the safest strategy would be to pay monthly.

• MridulMridul Member
    edited February 2017

@xiyan,

Firstly, i deeply appreciate your honesty and the boldness to actually admit the "human" feeling most of have but we rarely admit. I may have missed others but after @jarland ( read his posts wrt MxRoute since 2014 to understand what im talking about ) you are the only second one .. atleast for me :)

Secondly, what you just posted ( a genuine review of their billing support and policy ) will surely help UltraVPS as they have just received a genuine appraisal of their service and superb support.

Ofcourse, from a providers POV, its a loss, and ideally the buyer should abide by the "billing" period, as it was his choice. However, I dont think you did any wrong as it was not your decision to refund.

You simply "asked" for the possibility and you would have ( lets say "forced" to accept ) their decision. IMHO, If you are willing accept your providers decision, i see no harm in asking for a concession.

Like most providers they too could have held the funds, but in the end it was their decision to refund.

• @Nekki said:
    I'd feel like a proper cheeky cunt asking for a partial refund on a plan even if I'd only used it for a month of a 12 month plan. I understand that money's tight for some people, but I'd rather be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Exactly. I agreed to the terms, so it's up to me to uphold my part of the deal.

I had one provider who completely refunded me when I contacted them to cancel an account- I didn't ask for a refund. I told them that I couldn't use the VPS at this time (which is true since I don't have the resources to work on the project), and without so much as blinking, they gave me a complete refund. I responded and asked them why, as I didn't ask for one- and they said that was pretty much the precise reason.

They related that it is very common for specific groups of people to play that game, and as I didn't even ask for one, they were happy to give me a full refund. I'd give them credit here, but I don't want to put any undue stress on them. I'll just say "ThanKs!"

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2017

Just a quick note for those unaware, UltraVPS (Which is ProviderService or Bradler & Krantz GmbH & Co.) by default, on several of their offerings, offer a minimum contract period of 6 months. While they will offer you month-to-month if your a reputable member here and message them or open a ticket with them, they do not by default offer month-to-month contracts until you reach the 12 Euro a month tier. This is why the OP likely purchased a 6 month commitment in the beginning.

ProviderService or Bradler & Krantz GmbH & Co. is quite a reputable provider and has been in the German hosting industry for many many years. They do everything from VPS to dedicated and in my time doing business with them I have never been dis-satisfied, so I can understand the feelings of remorse after requesting a refund -- it is hard to feel good about getting a full refund for a service that you know was worth every penny. Bottom line is because they are so established they can afford to refund 'unsatisfied' customers and in their case it likely ends up being cheaper for them in both time and money to just refund instead of having to spend time going back and forth and/or risking the potential that the customer becomes upset and opens a Paypal dispute or charge back instead. They also get to save face by doing so, as has been demonstrated by this thread. :)

@xiyan as long as you were polite to them and explained your case and they offered the refund without any hesitation I don't think you need to worry much. They are good people and can probably understand that sometimes a 6 month contract is a little much to commit to for people just testing out a project. That said, in the future you may instead consider asking for a refund in credit instead of by original payment method, this way they don't really lose any money and you have an opportunity to later use their services again.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• It makes me feel good to read such a conversation. I already knew about LET providers going the extra mile to satisfy customers - even lost customers: they value their reputation and strive to establish or maintain a good one. And then I see that on the other side, too there are people with real feelings who care about being able to look at themselves in the mirror and doing the right thing.

• @rivermigue said:
    I had a somewhat similar situation in the past, I ended up by purchasing the same item again at a full price because I was supposed to know what I was doing at the beginning and because of my feelings too lol <- customer perspective

You were wise to do so.

• @rivermigue said:
    Does their TOS have a policy for refunds?
    Something like 30 days money back 'No questions asked'

Clients can get a full refund within 7 days

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited February 2017

@ricardo said:
    Most billing software lets you "top up" your account with an arbitrary amount. You could put your 2/3rds in there and leave it.

Technically that's not advantageous as it would be listed on the books as a liability, as an undelivered service.

Now it does boost their cash receipts which is really important though.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2017

I'd considered that. Any provider should really have a clause in their ToS that credit runs out after a period of time.

AnthonySmith made me look at it in a different slant.

Personally, I only go for refunds when the provider isn't able to offer the service. If I'm not using the service, that's my responsibility. I'd oringally thought it was kind of the provider, rather than it being pre-emptive.