Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy New Year from AlienVPS!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy New Year from AlienVPS!

JoelJoel Member
edited January 2012 in General

Well, 2 day old VPS, and Happy New Year from AlienVPS:

Nothing in the announcements as of yet on their website, and it's not the VPS that's down it's the whole node as nickmoek is on the same node. I guess for anyone thinking that 2012 was meant to be a better year for AlienVPS they have really kicked this off on the wrong foot.

Comments

• Is this the NY15 node? One of them has the VSwap and kernel panics are going to happen, constantly. Something tells me this is what their facing.

• @Blackstorm72 said: Is this the NY15 node?

Nope, it's NY12

• Blackstorm72Blackstorm72 Member
    edited January 2012

@NickM said: Nope, it's NY12

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1111030

That's why I asked. I swear its the VSwap with the Kernels and how they react. @KuJoe I believe had this issue (correct me if I'm wrong Joe) and I think Brandon from EnetSouth was testing and had kernel attacks too.

That's probably what's causing all this downtime, and they refuse to respond. What else could it be? ...don't answer that... yeah could be a lot of other things, but that's my guess.

• Hmm, reading on, perhaps they forgot to disable the VSwap in NY12? :/

• I'm definitely not impressed with how they're handling this.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Blackstorm72 said: That's why I asked. I swear its the VSwap with the Kernels and how they react. @KuJoe I believe had this issue (correct me if I'm wrong Joe) and I think Brandon from EnetSouth was testing and had kernel attacks too.

That's probably what's causing all this downtime, and they refuse to respond. What else could it be? ...don't answer that... yeah could be a lot of other things, but that's my guess.

We've already proved that vswap is workable, and stable, when managed correctly. Infact, it seems SolusVM is following our works and introduced some of the vswap fixes we documented into their mainstream code.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We've already proved that vswap is workable, and stable, when managed correctly. Infact, it seems SolusVM is following our works and introduced some of the vswap fixes we documented into their mainstream code.

Francisco

Really? I must be far behind these days...
    Anyway - I don't see AlienVPS properly doing this correctly. Too many 'down' situations from New York nodes. Las Vegas seems rather ok, on the other hand.

@Blackstorm72 said: Really? I must be far behind these days...

Anyway - I don't see AlienVPS properly doing this correctly. Too many 'down' situations from New York nodes. Las Vegas seems rather ok, on the other hand.

Yes, we even documented the trials, fixes, etc, publicly :) I fully expect more hosts to roll out .32 in the coming weeks as they catch wind of it.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/682/trial-buyvm-needs-people-to-help-test-vswap#Item_227

• Doesn't VSwap work fine with AMD proc's, I thought people were only having trouble on Intel boxes?

@Kairus said: Doesn't VSwap work fine with AMD proc's, I thought people were only having trouble on Intel boxes?

Nope.

There is design flaws/bugs in how vswap works and it can really throw a node off or simply panic like many (including us) saw. We've addressed it and are feeling confident in the public testing of vswap on our nodes. :)

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I don't recall ever having issues with vSwap specifically, but if it has vSwap then they're using CentOS 6 in which-case, I do know how easy it is for any VPS to cause a kernel panic in older kernels (haven't tested it since we stopped messing with CentOS 6). :(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

One thing I loved about CentOS 6 was that the disk write speeds were easily 50-60MB/s faster with the 2.6.32 kernel.

• Looks like somebody went out drinking last night and forgot about the Nodes. haha

• I just got a VPS 2 days ago from AlienVPS as well, on NY 12. Its been down for nearly 24 hours now..

• NY9 is also down for many hours now. I can confirm that the number of times when my vps was down increased in the last half month.

• I am not sure, but as Fran says, I think all these downtimes are related to vSwap. I am in old nodes without vswap and my experience is good (lv9 and ny11). Still afraid because lots of people are saying here that they doesn't answer tickets and so, but until now, I haven't required almostg any support.

@yomero said: I am not sure, but as Fran says, I think all these downtimes are related to vSwap. I am in old nodes without vswap and my experience is good (lv9 and ny11). Still afraid because lots of people are saying here that they doesn't answer tickets and so, but until now, I haven't required almostg any support.

I didn't say this or that if it was because of it, I simply said vswap can be stable if handled properly :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I didn't say this or that if it was because of it, I simply said vswap can be stable if handled properly :)

Yeah yeah, I thought about this

@Francisco said: There is design flaws/bugs in how vswap works and it can really throw a node off or simply panic like many (including us) saw

:P

• @NickM, at least you got a reply. It seems like a lot of people aren't receiving replies to their tickets.

AlienVPS should not have tested Vswap with a special like that. Seems like a stupid move to begin with. But maybe they wanted to fill the new nodes as quickly as possible.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited January 2012

Vswap problems
    @Centaur said: But maybe they wanted to fill the new nodes as quickly as possible.

That reminds me of enet~

• What's more important is when the service is going to be restored.

• Well, I just replied to my ticket, asking again for at least an ETA on the resolution, and either their ticket system crashed, or they just plain shut it off, since it's no longer loading.

• They could just turn it off, sure, considering that all our tickets and questions are technically a noise to them.

• JoelJoel Member
    edited January 2012

27 hours of downtime, it came back up, now gone again. And their only update is that they had an issue with their billing software. Must be all the people issuing refunds and chargebacks due to their complete contempt for their customer base not to put a notification up.

I now officially have had more downtime than uptime with AlienJunk.

• They always have problems, I have a server with them, that's up and down as well.

• huluwahuluwa Member
    edited January 2012

They said they do NOT offer refund.

@Joel said: Must be all the people issuing refunds and chargebacks due to their complete contempt for their customer base not to put a notification up.

Additionally, we do not offer refunds (as stated in the signup agreement).

• I'm on node NY12. It's up and down twice today. Now the vswap has gone and I hope this time the problem could be solved.

• Anyone else think that joel had joined alienvps staff upon reading the title?

• @net I did :D

• @breton, well people have been experiencing symptoms of overselling on WHT with them. They announced that they were going to add 10 new nodes. Shortly after that they offered the new special. So it does seem suspicious that they bring out new nodes with Vswap, and then load them up as quickly as possible. Without thoroughly checking if it is stable.

However, they are still newish, so they might be experiencing growing problems. But why haven't they frozen sign ups yet, if they can't handle the excess sign ups. That would only seem logical. Stop sign ups first, make sure you have capacity and sort out current problems and then continue.

Nothing as bad as bad publicity and mad customers.