Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guacamole or noVNC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Guacamole or noVNC

Going to do a bit of traveling later this month and don't want to bring a laptop.

I would like to set up a remote desktop for me and my friend and was thinking Guacamole or noVNC.

Any recommendations or tutorials would be welcome.

Comments

• zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

Novnc + https. You need:

1. Doman and tls cert. Dont use free .tk or .ga domains (you'l get blocked sooner or later). Your can find 1.06/year domain from namecheap . Also you can use cloudflare for 15 years tls cert for free.
    2. Vnc server (tigervnc best for headless)
    3. Websockify (just proxys vnc port as websockets port)
    4. setup nginx + tls cert. put novnc client with all html and js scripts in public folder

Then direct browser to web-based novnc client url. Select websockets port, type your vnc server password. Also if you need just terminal, without gui consider using of gotty. Its about 30 mins to setup everything.

• @zilch you should do a tutorial :)

• Thanks, zilch, I'm going to try this combination as well. I have been struggling to set up a Linux based remote desktop for some time. All solutions so far have been a PITA compared to Windows, where this kind of stuff just works, including proper window scaling.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited February 2017

RealVNC has always worked best for me (Clipboard sharing and File transfer is seamless)... the Free version or Free Trial should suffice you

• Is x2go an option at all? I know you may need to "install" client side software (apart from the one time server side setup/configuration) to use it but it's still worth looking into.

There is (supposedly, linked anyway) a browser plugin from their website - I've not used it - so no experience.

Otherwise, I'd say it's a nice option to use to connect to a (Linux) VPS running somewhere (and you can leave your stuff "running").

Thanked by 1solarman
  • Also if you have dynamic ip at home you'll need to update your dns records remotely at cloudflare. There are a lots of tricks for that