Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collocation for Raspberry Pi Zero.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Collocation for Raspberry Pi Zero.

Collocation of extremely cheap, under 5v2a devices Is it Possible?

Comments

• do those things even natively support ethernet?

• zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

Nativelly - not, I use less known alternative. But that is not the question.

Still looking for lowcost solution. May be even not first class datacenter

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@hzr said:
    do those things even natively support ethernet?

No; needs a USB OTG > Eth adapter.

@zilch said:
    Collocation of extremely cheap, under 5v2a devices Is it Possible?

Perhaps a tower of them like this?

Else, colocate at home using a power bank & 4G LTE for redundant power & network.

Pavin.

Thanked by 2willie johnnymatt
  • mailcheap said: Else, colocate at home

Can I colocate it at your home?

Thanked by 2quick Vita
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What's your budget for this? We can possibly put it in our racks in Sofia. However not entirely sure if it would be worth it for you, considering how cheap VPS have become lately.

• AlexBarakov said: considering how cheap VPS have become lately.

Well the idea is it's a dedicated server that could conceivably have special hardware connected.

OP if you just want a dedicated ARM server, try a Scaleway C1 at 3 euro/mo. They are often out of stock these days but if you keep trying you can get one.

• willie said: it's a dedicated server that could conceivably have special hardware connected.

You are absolutely right. Looking for a very cheap place with electricity to host it.

• AlexBarakov said: What's your budget for this? We can possibly put it in our racks in Sofia. However not entirely sure if it would be worth it for you, considering how cheap VPS have become lately.

How muich would you charge for a standard rpi model b? I have it in a case and all

• https://raspberry-hosting.com/en ?

No idea where they host, what they exactly do or whatever, but they do seem to colo rasperries.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@hzr - Honestly, no pricing set, neither I have colo'd such boards before, will have to check if it needs special cooling and etc. . Offer something reasonable and we will most likely take it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Waiting for @zilch to post Rpi-Zero-based VPS offers...

Thanked by 1Basil
  • 1eur/m

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2017

@zilch said:
    1eur/m

You can get a full blown VPS for that

As a side note, lowend.tech is available for $3.99 (first year only) at namesilo

• zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

mfs said: lowend.tech

Dont cheat me. I've bought .tech at namecheap 1.09$/year. You think 1eur/m is too much for such colo?

• Yeah, you'd just have to find a place that would be willing to colocate the RPI itself and price that accordingly, most places charge around $60 per 1U rack regardless of what it is, plus with VPSs becoming more cheaper for more power it may not be worth it depending on what the use case is. I'm sure however there are some providers out there who would be able to get a good deal on RPI colocation, someone on these forums got their laptop colocated in a datacenter not too long ago so nothing is impossible...

On a side note providers such as SoYouStart are starting to offer ARM servers at decent prices

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2017

zilch said: You think 1eur/m is too much for such colo?

On one side, it will "cost" something to host your device (not in electricity, rather in allotting some bandwidth for this thing); OTOH you can get better "devices" for the same price. There was a laptop colo thread no more than one month ago and the price settled @ 25 €

• The Pi, I can understand, since I'm tempted to try to get someone to host my Arduino Mega- just 'cuz. Why the fuck would you want an A9?

• zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

WSS said: Why the fuck

Dont ask

mfs said: 25 €

not reasonable.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

@zilch said:

mailcheap said: Else, colocate at home

Can I colocate it at your home?

Not for less than 25 EUR :)

If your home connection is not good enough for this, perhaps a network-admin/friend might be able to help out. Colocating a $5 SBC is just not worthwhile for a provider at $1/mo.

Pavin.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I can colocate this at my house at 40/20 shared connection for 3 eur per month.

• Radi said:

I can colocate this at my house at 40/20 shared connection for 3 eur per month.

There's still the issue of the pi0 not having any ethernet... usb dongles seems like a painful way to go about it. What about a bunch of them plugged into a usb hub?

Radi, where is your house?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@willie Near Vidin, Bulgaria (You can google it on Maps :) )

I'll see to getting some network switch setup properly. It'd be great fun to make such local network. :P

• Will you also colo Arduinos, @Radi?

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Fwiw the pi0 needs USB power and a microsd card. It's not just buy a $5 card and you're on the air. Bigger cards like the Odroid C2 start sounding more attractive. Or maybe use the cheap cards with wifi (still need power) if they don't interfere with each other too much.

• If you can get it connected in USB OTG mode I have one also which I would consider colocating. Currently I have it working like this and I think it's better than dealing with USB Ethernet dongles. One USB cable and an SD card is all you need for this setup.

• We will host it free.

• Radi said: 3 eur per month

It would be better 2eur. It seems there are a lot of customers here). Anyway sent private message. @Radi could you start new thread at LET with support issues?

Also interested in @northhosts proposition, PMed too.

Anyone else can/wish to host? Need more locations.

• @northhosts said:
    We will host it free.

That the sprite guys

Well cheers !

• No worries

Thanked by 1zilch
  • @northhosts is definitely LET awards winner.

Thanked by 1willie