Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vpsBoard calls it quits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vpsBoard calls it quits

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

http://vpsboard.com/topic/9666-the-current-state-of-vpsboard/

I'm genuinely very sad about this, though I haven't visited vpsB in quite a while.

@MannDude put a ton of time and effort into that site:

• the custom logo is quite awesome

• he paid for a lot of tutorials, etc. that were written there

• and of course the IPBoard licenses, add-ons, and modules aren't cheap

• not to mention hosting fees, ddos protection, and the neverending work to maintain an active forum

Really a pity. I love LET (obviously) but I think some competition is a healthy thing.

Comments

• The ColoCrossing buys vpsBoard jokes in 3... 2...

Thanked by 3netomx GCat doghouch
  • vpsBoard was dead way before official failure recognition. Yesterday news... Thought, sad a bit.

Thanked by 3netomx jh rm_
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The archive state may be temporary, but I need to consolidate like over a half-dozen barely used servers and do some other stuff first. It'll be hard to get it back to it's original glory, in it's prime we were getting hundreds of new posts a day and the growth was phenomenal. I blame the decrease in activity partially on software upgrades, IPB has at times made me so extremely miserable and upset as well as visitors. Some of the decrease would also likely be due to management (myself) and failure to implement some of the big picture ideas as clearly as I visioned them, and as well just the natural course some sites take when based on some outdated platforms when competing against more modern discussion platforms like Reddit. (Which I'll admit makes up 95% of all my 'forum' use nowadays. I don't really use any forum for any particular interest anymore)

In time I'll create a guide to the most popular content, tutorials and news to serve as an easy reference to those who wish to find them.

So, right now, in my limited time and interest, my goal is to just simplify the setup while archiving existing content. This may mean switching platforms so I don't have to renew IPB licenses and certain licenses for plugins as well as consolidate servers to one. Keep in mind I spread a ton of things out, mainly to support the small businesses that supported vpsBoard. So there are more servers than I need that I keep renewing as well.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words @raindog308

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

All the best @MannDude

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2017

What will happen to drmike now?
    Have you found some caring shelter for him before closing? Or do we have to take him back?

Thanked by 1netomx

doughmanes said: The ColoCrossing buys vpsBoard jokes in 3... 2...

I'll never sell the site. Too much personal information in user logs for me to ever feel comfortable selling. Some people would just use it to witch hunt.

This strong stance also didn't help the site when I had people with more time on their hands than me offer to take it over, but I trust almost no one when it comes to that.

Thanked by 1HarrySoloman
  • Where the fuck do I go when banned here?

Amitz said: What will happen to drmike now?

I'm sad to report that he suffered a casualty in the great meme war of 2016. Though some say, on a night lit only by the light of a full moon you can still hear the doctor pecking away at his keyboard.

Reality: No idea.

Thanked by 3netomx sin k0nsl
  • @MannDude shame about the board. Unfortunately i stopped visiting once the new IP.board theme style was in place - just didn't work for me :(

Good luck with your new ventures :)

eva2000 said: Unfortunately i stopped visiting once the new IP.board {insert random IPB upgrade feature here}

FTFY. That's the story for a lot of people.

• yeah it wasn't much the theme but IP.board's new get new post layout/latest activity. FYI, I usually bookmark and visit forums via their get new post/unread post links.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2017

It was the same that killed the fun for me. Quite a pity...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

lol rekt

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

IPB's a pain, always been. I used it on some large forums in the past and it was always a huge headache.

A 'proper' forum is hard for hosting communities these days. WHT, while fuck loads of foot traffic, doesn't get a lot of new content day in/day out since people can just search and probably find what they need.

Vanilla on the other hand is such a shit show that it promotes topic spamming. The search is slow and janky as hell which adds to the "fuck it, i'll do a new thread" mentality.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Thanks for all the hard work @MannDude

• IPB's a pain, always been. I used it on some large forums in the past and it was always a huge headache.

A 'proper' forum is hard for hosting communities these days. WHT, while fuck loads of foot traffic, doesn't get a lot of new content day in/day out since people can just search and probably find what they need.

Vanilla on the other hand is such a shit show that it promotes topic spamming. The search is slow and janky as hell which adds to the "fuck it, i'll do a new thread" mentality.

Francisco

XenForo

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@tr1cky said:

IPB's a pain, always been. I used it on some large forums in the past and it was always a huge headache.

Francisco

XenForo

Maybe, I've not had a chance to use xenforo much to comment :)

Francisco

• jhjh Member

Not surprising IMHO - last time I looked most of the content was just duplicated from here.

Thanked by 2rm_ PremiumN
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2017

Old fashioned forum is too sophisticated for kids nowadays.

Thanked by 2yomero Shazan
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2017

@Francisco said:

I just do site:lowendtalk.com stuff goes here on google instead of using the search here, it blows.

Anyway, RIP vpsboard.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2017

Let's not kid ourselves, it died because it was a fucking boring place to spend your time.

Was it full of immature loons? No

Was it full of pointless drama? No

Was it full of incoherent ramblings? Well yes, but that was mainly Dr. Mike, everyone else was generally very sensible.

vpsBoard was quite possibly LET's better in every possible area except one, and it's the one that really matters - entertainment.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Harsh but true. I am here on LET because of idiots.

Thanked by 3yomero NanoG6 Neoon
  • @deank said:
    Harsh but true. I am here on LET because of idiots.

I am here on LET because you guys need idiots.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I brought snacks!

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

@MannDude

Best of luck in what you are doing now.

• deank said: Harsh but true. I am here on LET because of idiots.

I am here because of you, so we have the same reason to be here! Cool! :-)

Thanked by 2jvnadr Ympker
  • What's the selling price? :)

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@ricardo said:
    What's the selling price? :)

He wrote already that he won't sell it.

@MannDude said:

doughmanes said: The ColoCrossing buys vpsBoard jokes in 3... 2...

I'll never sell the site. Too much personal information in user logs for me to ever feel comfortable selling. Some people would just use it to witch hunt.

• One goes down, another appears. Happen all the time

• vps.fail is available: United States $ 3.99 for the first year.

This discussion has been closed.