Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need some help in live streaming image ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need some help in live streaming image !

2»

Comments

• You're approaching this problem the wrong way.

Just get 60 of these...

• IP-camera + cheap 3G router (A5-V11) with Golden Orb OpenWrt + Huawei 3G stick?
    Also good 12V -> 5V (2-3A) power supply. Those cheap router sticks are very stable, with GoldenOrb and stable power supply.

Here's the link for one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Portable-3G-4G-WiFi-Wlan-Hotspot-AP-Client-150Mbps-USB-Wireless-Router-new-/272220921705?hash=item3f61a19f69:g:zV8AAOSwPhdVRe5G

• Actually @cociu, I suggest the Omega2 board. It's (basically) a small OpenWRT Raspberry Pi, but is smaller than my card.

It's $35 for an Omega2+, the battery expansion, and the cellular dock. Just plug the USB camera in, and through the interface, start the camera server up :)

While it's kind of complicated.... if you're up for the challenge, it's an option. I'll post a pic of it later too.

Another option is (like many others posted) a Raspberry Pi. Just make sure to get a power bank with the ability to be charged, and charge at the same time. Just get the camera server setup, and you're set!

• The issue here isn't the connectivity; pretty every modern board can do that.

The issue is data rate and volume. Hence you don't want a raspberry toy but something with a reasonable graphics engine that can also de/en/transcode video. Something like a cheap board with a A31 processor (which is quite OK but still really cheap).

As for the system design I'd suggest a hybrid: You could send low framerate with low resolution, say 12 frames/s in 320240 *plus 1 larger image 2 - 5 seconds, say 720 resolution.
    That way you would have both, a good overview flow plus a HQ image every couple seconds for details, while still stay within a reasonable data volume.

• @bsdguy said:

You can set the format and desired bitrate as you like with the Pi Camera (h264): https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/applications/camera.md

Community is great, dev support is great, there are a lot of different boards, but nothing can compare with the RasPi in this aspects.

• Well if that thingy runs and transfers 21 days/month, each 8 hrs then it will be very much influential for the cost of data transfer/volume. I don't know about Romania but in most european countries G3/G4 volume still is quite expensive.

That's why I suggested to have a steady but low quality stream plus some high quality images every x seconds. I'm not sure the pi cam can do that; I would assume that it would need to create a hq video stream which would then be processed, i.e. scaled to low quality (except for the hq image every x sec) for which a processor with good gpu would be desirable. Not a problem but something to be thought of.

• dodedodododedodo Member
    edited February 2017

A cheap smartphone would be a perfect fit.

GPS, camera, data, WiFi, microphone, battery, storage probably for around 70$.

The only problem would be software support, but I think an ubuntu phone for example could get you a long way.

• @dodedodo said:
    A cheap smartphone would be a perfect fit.

GPS, camera, data, WiFi, microphone, battery, storage probably for around 70$.

The only problem would be software support, but I think an ubuntu phone for example could get you a long way.

Leaving a smartphone in a car thats driven by a suspected thief is maybe not exactly what you want though...

• teamacc said: Leaving a smartphone in a car thats driven by a suspected thief is maybe not exactly what you want though...

You'd have to find a way to stick it to the car's interior and disguise it, but I think you'll have to do that anyway since thieves generally don't like security camera's.

• I was going to suggest what teamacc did, with a cheaper end G3/GSM capable phone (You can get them as loss leaders on eBay rather than worry about local expenses), but then I realized that everything that has been offered is highly higher level though- but difficult to make a blanket statement, since we don't know where it is to be located, how well granularity will be needed, etc. Voted sister's phone.

• @bsdguy said:
    Well if that thingy runs and transfers 21 days/month, each 8 hrs then it will be very much influential for the cost of data transfer/volume. I don't know about Romania but in most european countries G3/G4 volume still is quite expensive.

That's why I suggested to have a steady but low quality stream plus some high quality images every x seconds. I'm not sure the pi cam can do that; I would assume that it would need to create a hq video stream which would then be processed, i.e. scaled to low quality (except for the hq image every x sec) for which a processor with good gpu would be desirable. Not a problem but something to be thought of.

The camera is connected with the GPU of the Pi and the GPU will the handle the most significant encoding load so that you do not have to worry about CPU performance.

Any other architecture without hardware acceleration for encoding would be DOA in my opinion. A Pi can't flawlessly encode via CPU. The circuit designers of the camera module and the devs know that.

• How is this thing going to be powered anyway?

I don't see a need to encode on a rpi. There's cameras around with encoding hardware built in.

• @bsdguy said:

That's why I suggested to have a steady but low quality stream plus some high quality images every x seconds.

This is actually exactly what an I-frame is in MPEG / H.264 / H.265 / etc. You can tune ffmpeg's encoding parameters to specify how frequently you want the high-quality I-frames, and how high of quality you want them, and then whatever bitrate is leftover is used for the differential B- and P-frames. If you look carefully at low-bitrate video, you'll see the image snap into clarity every once in a while (e.g. once a second), then get more and more fuzzy, then snap into focus again as the next I-frame hits.

I still think @cociu has a personnel (employee) problem that is more suited to a non-technical approach, but hey this is LET, so we gotta geek out....

• Great. Video isn't exactly my field but I'm pleased to see that my idea is actually already built-in.
    Next point: Which board? Experience tells me to never just do what most say. It's always better to do a little research and to look at diverse boards. One point to keep an eye on would be whether cheap cases are available for any given board.

Last but not least: Psychology. As some already (IMO correctly) remarked, personel won't exactly love being filmed ...

How about a nice story along the lines of proudly telling that all cars get under gps fleet management blabla. That would explain a small box as well as an antenna.