Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BIOS level remote access for dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BIOS level remote access for dedi?

what is the easiest way to give someone bios level access to a "non-enterprise" dedicated server?
high end intel has IPMI, but i see alot of dedi providers with stuff like core2due or core i3/i5/i7 series.
how do they provide remote access to their clients?

Comments

• There is no access.

• fahim5001fahim5001 Member
    edited February 2017

@Spacedust said:
    There is no access.

then how does dedicated providers let their clients to install OS and manage other stuff on the physical node remotely?

• KVMoverIP or software such as https://www.easydcim.com/

Thanked by 1fahim5001
  • are there any cheaper software? or ways to make KVMoverIP from another server?

• @fahim5001 said:
    are there any cheaper software? or ways to make KVMoverIP from another server?

KVMoverIP requires either a special motherboard, or a card.

• @doghouch or a kvm switch ;)

• fahim5001 said: then how does dedicated providers let their clients to install OS and manage other stuff on the physical node remotely?

They don't. OS reinstalls or even reboot, for a lot of those providers, is done by ticket. Some bigger players do offer an in-house automatic reinstall/reboot system via their client's panel, but it is limited to only install the OS they have preconfigured for those machines and their network. Some of them offer also a rescue system (WSI, Oneline.net for cheaper servers like kidechires etc.)
    For KVM over IP / IPMI access to the clients, if the server itself does not support it, then, you either have to buy special cards for each server or have a couple of devices and rent it to the clients for a certain time window when they need it for uploading custom iso, maintain and troubleshot the server.

Thanked by 1fahim5001
  • quadhostquadhost Member
    edited February 2017

Lantronix.

EDIT - Note that not all providers do provide access at that level.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@quadhost said:
    Lantronix.

This, Often you'll see this for providers like Worldstream as their cheaper servers are just desktop machines and require an external device (Rented as additional cost)

• @piohost said:
    @doghouch or a kvm switch ;)

Meh :P

• Why hasnt anyone mentioned network boot + install yet? Most consumer machines support boot-from-network...

• @teamacc said:
    Why hasnt anyone mentioned network boot + install yet? Most consumer machines support boot-from-network...

Likely because the question was how access was granted to get into BIOS, not how PXE booting works.

Thanked by 1rsk
  • OVH on SoYouStart for their i7-4790k machines that run on ASUS z97s use https://www.lantronix.com/products/lantronix-spider/ to give people full access to install via an ISO, access bios, etc. I used it to install Windows 10 on one, apart from having to go into the java control panel and add the IP to a whitelist it worked decently.

However if you screw up the BIOS, etc they'll charge you additional fees which is why I recommend most people don't even touch the BIOS on those servers. I was able to literally view overclocking and voltage options, etc.

Thanked by 1fahim5001
  • SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@fahim5001 said:
    also what is this PXE thing?

Booting over the network, can be done via provisioning systems such as noc-ps which a lot of providers use for automatic OS installs and rescue cd.

Thanked by 1fahim5001
  • @SpartanHost said:

@fahim5001 said:
    also what is this PXE thing?

Booting over the network, can be done via provisioning systems such as noc-ps which a lot of providers use for automatic OS installs and rescue cd.

thanks will look into it, also i like the "free" for small amount of servers part :D