Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas for a "cloud hosting combo"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ideas for a "cloud hosting combo"

Hello guys,

I run a managed SSD VPS on KnownHost for about a year now. So far, so good. Everything has been awesome, I have no complains whatsoever and customer service has been always top-notch. I run nearly 25 domains/websites and I've used a couple of VPS providers for the last 5 years. I live in Chile, South America, and connectivity with southwest USA has always been the best compared to the rest of North America.

I love the idea and the challenge of switching to a server on Linode/DO/Vultr, so after a lot of reading and a bit of testing, I'm thinking about this "cloud combo":

• Server: a 2/4 GB RAM Linode. Reasoning: Is a 4GB plan is more than enough to host 25 websites? Their Backup pricing is awesome. I ran some ping and trace tests and a) Linode always showed the best results against DO and Vultr to my region, and b) Dallas or Atlanta seem to have the lowest latency.

• Management: ServerPilot? Reasoning: A bit of a doubt here. I love the idea of moving away from Apache/cPanel (mainly for speed and config), and I like the basic ServerPilot setup in terms of server services deployment and security. I don't want to manually install Apache/Nginx, configure firewall rules, etc.

• Email: ??? Reasoning: I don't want to self host email anymore. Too much troubles and pain. Almost half of the domains I host use Google Apps email or Zoho email. Still looking for a provider for the other half. Something simple with a better-than-Roundcube webmail interface. MXRoute maybe?

• CDN: CDN77. Reasoning: I don't trust free CloudFlare, particularly for some close references I have from colleagues, and their paid plans are way too expensive. CDN77, on the other hand, has 3 POPs in South America (one in Chile), their pricing is fair and it works more as a CDN than a reverse proxy as CF does.

• DNS: ??? Reasoning: Lastly, I have doubts about how would be the best way to run DNS service. Maybe use Linode servers as vanity DNS? Maybe another Linode as a dedicated DNS? Does CDN77 have the option of using their service for DNS? I guess paid ServerPilot plan allows me to manage DNS per domain? I don't really need custom nameservers, but at least vanity nameservers would be fine.

Thanks a lot for reading and thanks for your thoughts too, people!

Rod.

Comments

• Have you thought about using he.net's free DNS? DNSperf.com rates it pretty well worldwide.

• fahim5001fahim5001 Member
    edited February 2017

how much traffic dose your 25 websites generate and what cms your using? if they are just "couch potato" sites or static sites then i think there is no point getting all that.
    basically you will be spending around $1.15 USD monthly for each site, add that up for 25 site then its almost $29 monthly cost. since you dont want to do technical stuff, personally i would suggest you go with a good cpanel reseller if all of your sites are generating less then 1 million hits/monthly

i am a newbie, but your "combo" looks good if you want to go with it. but you might face alot of hiccups along this road.

about server resource, Is a 4GB plan is more than enough to host 25 websites?

Yes and No.

one big site can consume more that that in a blink, or you can host 10-20 static sites on 64mb ram. overall it depends on the platform used to built those sites. i personally think for wordpress you need 128-256mb ram for each instillation and 256-512mb ram for opencart/joomla/magento sort of cms. i know those can be hosted on alot less then that, but thats my personal preference.

• rabarrig said: I run a managed SSD VPS on KnownHost for about a year now. So far, so good. Everything has been awesome

Glad to hear you have been satisfied with our service. :)

• Hello all, thanks for your replies!

@OnApp_Terry said:
    Have you thought about using he.net's free DNS? DNSperf.com rates it pretty well worldwide.

Never heard of he.net! Looks promessing, is this a reputed and fiable DNS provider?

@fahim5001 said:
    how much traffic dose your 25 websites generate and what cms your using? if they are just "couch potato" sites or static sites then i think there is no point getting all that.

I think they generate between 40 and 60 GB traffic per month. Not that much. They use mainly WordPress and Joomla, and one OpenCart, but just for quotes. Maybe at this time it's not much, but I'm looking forward to build a strong platform for hosting more sites in the future.

@KnownHostChrisM said:
    Glad to hear you have been satisfied with our service. :)

KnownHost has been one of the best providers I've tried... and I've tried five of them ;) One of the best support teams in the market imho. Very satisfied, but it's time to move on to something different.

• tmwctmwc Member
    edited February 2017

@rabarrig said:
    Never heard of he.net! Looks promessing, is this a reputed and fiable DNS provider?

They're a big ISP, and recommended by many on hosting forums (like LET) for their DNS.

They also do colo, transit, and tunnelbroker if that's good enough.

• @tmwc said:

@rabarrig said:

They're a big ISP, and recommended by many on hosting forums (like LET) for their DNS.

They also do colo, transit, and tunnelbroker if that's good enough.

Fantastic! I'll see what I can find... thanks!