Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need some help in live streaming image !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need some help in live streaming image !

cociucociu Member
edited February 2017 in General

Hello Let,

need some help in a project :

1 ) we have arrownd 60 cars

2) some of this cars is keep always the location so i will connect with wifi a minipc +webcam (i have wifi in this fixed location)

3) part of this cars is moving so is need a dial up solution with a stick from rds-rcs like this https://www.gadget.ro/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Digi-Mobil-stick-USB.jpg

4) in need all images to be centralisated in a 3rd location

i need to monitor all this cars 24/7/365 in Live ,,,,,

i have think to use this cam http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-SJ4000-Go-Pro-Cam-Sport-WiFi-HD-1080p-Action-Kamera-Videokamera-Gold-/371748473703?hash=item568def8b67:g:rXoAAOSwPCVX650B

and the mini pc i need something for hight temperatures.

ANY solution better ?

Thanks in advance,
Marius

Comments

• Just so Im sure I understood it correctly:

You want to monitor your 60 cars 24/7 with a livestreaming video?

Id probably choose to use a dashboard cam over a gopro. Gopros arent all that cheap, but I dont know how good the quality of your stream needs to be.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think I saw this in a Speed Racer episode once.

• I was just about to make a "BangTaxi" joke about a sister, but...

• nope , no more sisters sorry , also is not for the taxi drive ...

• Do you actually need a camera to track 24/7, or would a simple GPS product do? There are many tracking devices available for under $20/ea which can be easily powered via USB and have a built in battery for when the vehicle is off (or has the battery removed). They use GSM to stay in contact- and you can have them do various things like recording audio/etc..

https://www.amazon.com/Tractheker-Audio-Surveillance-Tracking-System/dp/B00AF6JY9C

Being cheap Chinese product, I suggest you buy more than you expect to use, because they won't all work.

I also refrain from making suggestions on a management system, since the most recent I've had to handle was

• Is this for security? Break-ins to the cars, attacks on drivers, or monitoring driver activity?

If you can drop the framerate to 10-12fps and use H.265 that will help a lot with bandwidth over the mobile USB sticks.

Do you absolutely need live streaming? Are you able to hide / physically secure the mini PC in each car, record locally, and upload nightly over Wi-Fi from the parking lot? If the application is like a dashcam or police bodycam, you might not need live streaming. Of course, if the threat model is that the cars might get stolen, then live streaming makes sense.

What's your budget like for this project? 60 mini-PCs, cameras, and mobile subscriptions adds up pretty quickly.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSS said: Do you actually need a camera to track 24/7, or would a simple GPS product do? There are many tracking devices available for under $20/ea which can be easily powered via USB and have a built in battery for when the vehicle is off (or has the battery removed). They use GSM to stay in contact- and you can have them do various things like recording audio/etc..

https://www.amazon.com/Tractheker-Audio-Surveillance-Tracking-System/dp/B00AF6JY9C

Being cheap Chinese product, I suggest you buy more than you expect to use, because they won't all work.

I also refrain from making suggestions on a management system, since the most recent I've had to handle was

i need images so gps is not ok ..

• cociucociu Member
    edited February 2017

seanho said: Is this for security? Break-ins to the cars, attacks on drivers, or monitoring driver activity?

If you can drop the framerate to 10-12fps and use H.265 that will help a lot with bandwidth over the mobile USB sticks.

Do you absolutely need live streaming? Are you able to hide / physically secure the mini PC in each car, record locally, and upload nightly over Wi-Fi from the parking lot? If the application is like a dashcam or police bodycam, you might not need live streaming. Of course, if the threat model is that the cars might get stolen, then live streaming makes sense.

What's your budget like for this project? 60 mini-PCs, cameras, and mobile subscriptions adds up pretty quickly.

really apreciate your answer , at least is the first answer to the subject. I need to monitor this cars live because is stollen products and i need it to be live because in the same time i send the guardians to pick up the driver man.

• Do you need actual video? How about 1 frame every 5 seconds or something like that?

• @cociu said:

seanho said: Is this for security? Break-ins to the cars, attacks on drivers, or monitoring driver activity?

really apreciate your answer , at least is the first answer to the subject. I need to monitor this cars live because is stollen products and i need it to be live because in the same time i send the guardians to pick up the driver man.

You mean you own some stolen cars, or you have cars that get stolen a lot and want to point the police to "that guy over there stole my car"?

In the first case I cannot advise you.

In the latter case you could even add some facial recognition software to your stuff (simple one, "is there a face in this picture" kind of stuff) and send a pic of the driver to your server ONLY if there's a face in it. Saves a lot of bandwidth.

Also, considering that this is for monitoring a car, 5 minute intervals of the driver's face would probably be sufficient and save you a lot of data. You could even do this on a non-subscription kind of thing, activate it by sending an SMS and then just burn some (expensive) data for a short amount of time.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

The term is fleet cameras. Are there any WiFi spots available around the locations they are in use. Should get a standard IP camera and have it upload to FTP based on movement. Record live to SD card and post snapshots to FTP every 10s or more.

Live streaming perhaps not what you can afford, unless 3g is cheap?

This is a basic example, I dont recommend this gear as I never used it.

3G Modem: Example

IP Camera: Example

Thanked by 2WSS ad0
    edited February 2017

@cociu said:

In this case, I would suggest a bunch of IP Cameras and have them save to SD card, then also have a GPS tracker with a panic button (Sends text to designated number with location so you can send security)

cctv can be downloaded after robbery to identify the bastards

Also, I would recommend putting taser contacts into the handles, this way when someone tries to rob your divers they shit them pants.

Thanked by 1nulldev
  • the principal problem here is i suspect some of my personal to the thief's accomplice , so for this is my ideea to be live , because in this case i can proof his complicity .

• @cociu said:
    the principal problem here is i suspect some of my personal to the thief's accomplice , so for this is my ideea to be live , because in this case i can proof his complicity .

If that's the case you'd want sound too right? If it's true you could hear them conspire to rob another car/driver..

• Why PCs? Why not use an Android box or something?

They're 1) more efficient with ARM, and 2) don't overheat like the shit Intel is.

Just get some parental control app, get a microusb cable, turn on GPS, and attach a OTG USB camera. Voilà, you just made a trackable CCTV server

• If the camera is visible you have to worry about the driver disabling/obstructing it or simply staying out of its view while doing bad stuff.

• racksxracksx Member
    edited February 2017

Maybe raspberryPI with the webcam, not too expensive and a good solution if you know what to do, and you can also connect your rds USB stick.

@cociu

Catch em in the act!

• Ras pi zero with pinhole camera and 3g dongle perhaps? You could make a fake case so its not obvious

• Try to use some mifi and tplink ip camera, they have some cloud recording feature

• I see, ok so the issue is theft of product from your fleet, and you suspect one of your drivers is an accomplice? My sympathies if you feel you can't completely trust your employees; it does happen.

Recording to SD card without live streaming could help -- even if a malicious driver destroys the recording, that in itself would cast suspicion on the driver. As @willie mentioned, even with live streaming a malicious driver can avoid being recorded.

Do you have a record of who is driving which car at what time? So if something goes missing, you have an idea of the driver you suspect is an accomplice? Perhaps a non-technical solution would be more appropriate.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • BarisBaris Member
    edited February 2017

Here would be my approach:

Buy

• Raspberry Pi
    • Raspberry Pi Camera
    • OpenWRT Mini Router
    • 3g or 4g dongle compatible with your OpenWRT router
    • Wowza streaming engine license or something similar

Setup the OpenWRT router with the 3g/4g dongle. Connect the Camera to your RasPi. Connect the RasPi to the Wifi of your router.

Setup the Wowza streaming engine or other similar software in your datacenter.

Now point the video streams of your RasPI to your Wowza streaming engine. The following tutorial shows you how to point the stream to YouTube but with little changes and some research you can also point it to your own streaming engine for distribution and archiving: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/live-stream-youtube-raspberry-pi/

The cars with the fixed location can have a wifi dongle connected to the RasPi instead. No need for a mini router and dongle.

Another approach is to find mini wifi camera which can directly stream to your streaming engine without all the RasPi devices.

However I don't know which camera is capable of doing this. But I know that some cameras are hackable like the Yi Ant. If you you have a dev let him spend some time with it to secure it and make it better:

https://github.com/4clouds/yi-stream
    https://github.com/fritz-smh/yi-hack

Thanked by 2mailcheap yomero
  • Baris said: Buy

• Raspberry Pi
    • Raspberry Pi Camera
    • OpenWRT Mini Router
    • 3g or 4g dongle compatible with your OpenWRT router
    • Wowza streaming engine license or something similar

i will try this option , i like raspberry so i will buy for 2 cars to test and came back to give my reviews

Thanks

Thanked by 1DashKiller
  • JasperNLJasperNL Member
    edited February 2017

Baris said: - Wowza streaming engine license or something similar

What's wrong with an open-source alternative like RTP or RTSP, rather than a proprietary protocol like the one you're proposing?

• @JasperNL said:

Baris said: - Wowza streaming engine license or something similar

What's wrong with an open-source alternative like RTP or RTSP, rather than a proprietary protocol like the one you're proposing?

Wowza isn't a protocol, it uses HLS/RTMP/RTSP. But yeah, there is open source alternative like Red5. For professional/sophisticated use, I'd suggest Wowza.

• @emdad said:

Wowza isn't a protocol, it uses HLS/RTMP/RTSP. But yeah, there is open source alternative like Red5. For professional/sophisticated use, I'd suggest Wowza.

Is Red5 still crashy on non-32bit platforms and require at least a weekly service restart?

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@emdad said:

Is Red5 still crashy on non-32bit platforms and require at least a weekly service restart?

Red5 still sucks, even though nginx rtmp is no longer supported it's still superior in my opinion. And it's no Java trash ;-)

Thanked by 1JasperNL
  • BarisBaris Member
    edited February 2017

There is almost always an open source alternative for everything, but sometimes you just want to have a fast and reliable solution with support. I dealt with Wowza in the past and made my experience. That's why I recommended it.

@cociu
    You could also plug in the dongle directly to RasPi and save money. But I don't know how bulky it will be.

And just of curiosity: What are the drivers stealing?