Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack Phenom II 840 QuadCore - 8GB - 2x500GB/Hardware RAID - 20TB/1Git port - $39 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack Phenom II 840 QuadCore - 8GB - 2x500GB/Hardware RAID - 20TB/1Git port - $39

2»

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

Just wondering should this post be in the general or offers section?

• never mind I just moved it to general..
  • @earl: I just found out you can install proxmox packages on a Debian:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Squeeze

So you can install 2nd disk as usual, install debian and configure Raid 1, and then install the proxmox packages.

The following might be of use as well:
    http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
    http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_2.0_Cluster

• @hyao

Wow that's a lot of info.. thank you I will read up on it. hey do you think software raid 0 would really boost performance? considering I have dual xeons

• @earl

IMHO, software raid is nearly as good as hardware raid, given the Dual Xeon you use. Raid 0 would improve i/o performance by a factor less than 2 (actually might be lower), as I don't have the data to back it up. Someone with more experience in this regard is welcome to comment on this.

But if your data is of any significance, I would recommend against using raid 0; I believe you already knew that :-)

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@hyao said: I would recommend against using raid 0; I believe you already knew that :-)

I probably would not use it for my desktop but considering the server is using proxmox I can probably take snapshot of the vm so if anything bad does happen I can just reinstall proxmox and upload the image.. Theoretically this should work If I was diligent in doing the snapshot for backups

• Let's get this straight folks!!!!

Wholesale IS Datashack. It is the same company.

Wholesale says they'll match price and offer of any other KC provider. See no reason why you can't get the Datashack server in Wholesales facility on Gbit...

As for buy downs from other providers, they suck, the concept of buydowns. If they want to accomplish same thing, then make people commit to contract.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: Wholesale says they'll match price and offer of any other KC provider

I did not know that, have you successfully tried to get Datashack to match WII price? they seem to want to charge $20 more for the 5420 although theirs come with 500gb instead of WII which is 250gb drive

Anyhow I just received my server so not too bad it took about one and a half day for them to deploy the server, They had a problem with paypal otherwise I would probably have received the server sooner.. overall the server seems pretty peppy and the network is more than quick enough for me

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2013-02-08 04:14:01-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 52.2M/s in 1.9s

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.9873 s, 82.7 MB/s

• Too many deals.. damnit.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Wholesale and Datashack share employees and most Datashack servers are colocsted at wholesaleinternrt. However that doesn't mean they are the same company.

• @earl said: never mind I just realize you meant you are waiting for a xeon offer with double the disk..

No, I ordered with another 250GB disk.

I also want to use proxmox, but I don't intend to use RAID stuff, and 250 + 250 is too much space n_n
    Is just for personal/friends usage, so I don't care.

That's how I have my Datashack one, 2 disks, no RAID.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@earl said: Yeah but I don't think I want to be wasting their time.. but the hardware sure looks good those HP DL360 g5 are still pretty expensive I think..

You won't be wasting our time. :)

For LET users, we've been offering a free second 1 TB drive on the HP ProLiant DL160 G5, which we normally charge $15 per month extra for. When you factor that in, it's a pretty good deal at $69.99 (or $39.99 if you want to pay the $199.99 setup fee).

We have some cheaper options too, starting from $39.99 with no buydowns. If you're interested, please PM me. As many here will attest to, we have been giving LEB users some pretty great deals.

edited February 2013

@fly said: I hate buydown as it screws you over; Even if you're in for the long term.

If you keep our server over 6 months, you start coming out ahead. It's not for everyone, but we've had a pretty good take rate on the offer (roughly 20% of orders on this server have done the buydown).

@pubcrawler said: As for buy downs from other providers, they suck, the concept of buydowns. If they want to accomplish same thing, then make people commit to contract.

If you want to sign a one-year contract at $59.99 per month instead, we'll consider doing that. PM me for further details.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Ishaq said: Too many deals.. damnit.

I know it's killing me!!

@yomero said: I also want to use proxmox, but I don't intend to use RAID stuff, and 250 + 250 is too much space n_n

Well after the proxmox install I only have 149 GB of storage space left so I think the second drive is necessary..

a bit more info on the server.. it seems to be a Dell but the IPMI is not drac but does come with a reinstall OS functionality, unfortunately unlike Datashack they use one of the 5 IP for the IPMI so after proxmox I only have 3 IP's free, the hard drives are Seagate model # ST3250310NS and the memory seems to be 2X 4GB sticks of DDR2 667Mhz..

• @earl said: 149 GB

Doh???
    But proxmox just uses like 1GB lol

• @yomero said: But proxmox just uses like 1GB lol

df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/pve-root 58G 778M 54G 2% / tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /lib/init/rw udev 3.9G 220K 3.9G 1% /dev tmpfs 3.9G 19M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm /dev/mapper/pve-data 149G 188M 149G 1% /var/lib/vz /dev/sda1 495M 35M 436M 8% /boot /dev/fuse 30M 12K 30M 1% /etc/pve

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

I just noticed a new feature of proxmox now you can download openvz Turnkey templates directly from the web console.. That's pretty awesome

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"Anyhow I just received my server so not too bad it took about one and a half day for them to deploy the server, "

Does Wholesale charge a fee for setting up software Raid 0 during the initial setup?

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@DomainBop said: software Raid 0

Well you would have to ask them for sure but I don't think there is a charge cause they were going to install software raid for me but unfortunately proxmox does not support it.. if not you could probably install the OS yourself cause it does come with IPMI

The network seems be faster at night..

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2013-02-08 16:12:05-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 10.5M/s in 9.1s

• Well The Phenom is out.. Just asked Datashack if it included a dedicated IPMI and unfortunate it does not while you can borrow one from them I would prefer if it was included. Another option is to pay a $150 setup and $25/m which I Think is too much considering it's included free in the dell server

Found out a bit more about my currrent server with WII it is a 1U Dell CS24-SC and turns out it has a Intel ICH9R RAID Controller, but unfortunately this is not compatible with linux. I also asked WII about sending my own Raid Card but no go..

Here is the Spec:

Form Factor: 1U Rackmount Server Chipset: Intel 5100 Memory: 256MB/512MB/1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB DDR DIMMs in matched pairs; 667MHz or 800MHz; 6 sockets for support up to 48GB I/O Channels: 1 PCI-e 8x expansion slots Drive controller: Intel SATA controller ATA or AHCI RAID Controller: Intel ICH9R RAID (Software Raid capable of 0 or 1) Drive Bays: Four hard drive chassis with 4x 3.5″ SATA Maximum Internal Storage: Up to 8 TB: Four 2 TB hot-plug 3.5″ SATA* Communications: 2x Onboard Intel 82567 Gigabit NICs, 1x Intel PRO 1000M Gigabit NIC (for BMC)

• the deal of @qps has Half the bandwidth of Datashack/ WI ?

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Pats

the qps deal comes with 10 TB @ 1Gbit Port
    Datashack comes with 20 TB @ 1Gbit Port
    WII technically comes with 32.4 TB @ 100Mbit port

@Pats said: the deal of @qps has Half the bandwidth of Datashack/ WI ?

About 70% of our bandwidth is currently nLayer. We're adding Inteliquent by the end of the month. That mixed with a little of Cogent for select routes provides a pretty solid mix of bandwidth.

We also offer an upgrade to 100 Mbps Unmetered for $30 per month if you are interested.

• @yomero said: I also want to use proxmox, but I don't intend to use RAID stuff, and 250 + 250 is too much space n_n

Is just for personal/friends usage, so I don't care.

I think that the two drives without raid performs better, I created two VM one on each drive and doing consecutive DD test does not seem to bog down the drives as much as they would if they were in a Raid 0 config..

• @qps said: We're adding Inteliquent by the end of the month. That mixed with a little of Cogent

am i reading correctly that by the end of the month, bandwidth will be 20TB ? :)

@Pats said: am i reading correctly that by the end of the month, bandwidth will be 20TB ? :)

Not sure what you mean. nLayer + Inteliquent + Cogent will be a pretty solid mix.