Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack Phenom II 840 QuadCore - 8GB - 2x500GB/Hardware RAID - 20TB/1Git port - $39
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack Phenom II 840 QuadCore - 8GB - 2x500GB/Hardware RAID - 20TB/1Git port - $39

earlearl Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey just saw this promo on WHT from Datashack seems like a good deal..

★★★★This special is not on our website!★★★★

Phenom II 840 x4 Quad Core (4 cores)
8GB DDR3 RAM
2x 500GB SATA Hard Drives
Hardware RAID 0,1 or none
20TB Transfer on 1Gbit Port
Any Linux Distribution
Free DirectAdmin for Linux
5 Usable IPv4 IP addresses
/64 IPv6 Address Space
Unmanaged

$0 Setup / $39 per month

ORDER HERE!

There is also the Deal from Wholesaleinternet (WII)

★★★ Dual Xeon 5420, 8GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, 100Mbit Unmetered - $39 NO BUYDOWN!★★★

Dual Quad Core Xeon 5420 (2.5Ghz, 8 physical cores)
8GB RAM
250GB SATA Hard Drive
100Mbit Unmetered Port
5 usable IPv4 IPs
Linux
Free Love

$0 Setup - $39 per month when you use the code: 15off

ORDER Now!

I actually just purchased a L5420 server from WII but unfortunately they don't offer hardware raid, but they do include dedicated IPMI for free.. just wondering from the two offers above which one do you guys think is a better deal?

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Datashack is the better deal in this case.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: Datashack is the better deal in this case.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but then again Phenom is a desktop grade CPU and you only get a single CPU with the Phenom compared to the Xeon which is dual

RAID1, double the storage, gigabit port :)

• Their 1Gbit Port actually is 100mbps port or less...

• $0 Setup / $39 per month
    $0 Setup / $245 per 6 months
    $0 Setup / $490 per year

Why prepaid plans are more expensive than paying monthly ?

• @shovenose said: RAID1, double the storage, gigabit port :)

Yup that's what's making it a hard choice, also I don't think these come with IPMI.. not really sure why these come with hardware raid wonder if the phenom is a rack server cause kinda odd to have desktop/workstations that come with hardware raid

• @DalComp said: Why prepaid plans are more expensive than paying monthly ?

I think it's an error in the AD the prepay is actually cheaper if you go to the sign up page

well, the xeon is a better server but unless you need more cores the Datashack phenom is better value.

• @DalComp said: Why prepaid plans are more expensive than paying monthly ?

haha. Yeah. Typo? Or possibly there was originally meant to be a setup fee?

• Yup, copy paste error. On order page it says:
    3 months - $117
    6 months - $195
    12 months -$390

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited February 2013

@airski

Resolving speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com... 74.86.116.210
    Connecting to speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com|74.86.116.210|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 524288000 (500M) [application/zip]
    Saving to: test500.zip

100%[============================>] 524,288,000 107M/s in 5.2s

2013-02-07 23:39:24 (96.9 MB/s) - test500.zip

• I have update the my post with a link to the offer page..

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@airski said: Their 1Gbit Port actually is 100mbps port or less...

Yes I did experience this while I was with datashack while sometimes is good other times can be slow but realistically it is a shared port..

@shovenose said: well, the xeon is a better server but unless you need more cores the Datashack phenom is better value.

True, but looking at the pass mark results it's basically half the processor

[Dual CPU] Intel Xeon L5420 @ 2.50GHz 6,585
    AMD Phenom II X4 840 3,092

• lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2013

@earl said: Yeah that's what I was thinking but then again Phenom is a desktop grade CPU and you only get a single CPU with the Phenom compared to the Xeon which is dual

CPUBenchmark.net:

Phenom II 840: 3092
    Dual Xeon L5420: 6585

The Wholesale offer has more than double the CPU performance.

• @lbft said: The Wholesale offer has more than double the CPU performance.

I know it's a hard call but really I think the bottle neck would the I/O and single 250GB versus dual 500GB with Raid 0 I wonder if the phenom would perform better?

• Depends on your use case. If you need computing power, Dual Xeon is better (I don't understand why it only has a 250G HD?) If anything storage related, we'll probably need the raid deal.

BTW, @earl how's your L5420 deal from WII like?

• hyaohyao Member
    edited February 2013

@earl IMO, please don't do Raid 0. If you really need the performance, maybe use SSD (even though a smaller volume)

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@hyao said: BTW, @earl how's your L5420 deal from WII like?

It's still pending.. I just ordered yesterday night, and yeah I'm confused as of to why the L5420 does not have Hardware raid but has IPMI..

@hyao said: @earl IMO, please don't do Raid 0. If you really need the performance, maybe use SSD (even though a smaller volume)

Yes that would be another option I heard you can ship the SSD to WII and they will install it for you, but then you are on your own where as if it's their hardware they will exchange it free.

• Waiting for a dual Xeon with an extra disk.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero said: Waiting for a dual Xeon with an extra disk.

Did you order one from WII?
    I purchased an extra 250gb drive also but only later I was told there was no Hardware raid and cannot do software raid since I requested to install proxmox

-never mind I just realize you meant you are waiting for a xeon offer with double the disk..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, still feeling the Quick Packet deals they've been running around with. I like the dual 5420 but I'd rather gigabit and a 10-20TB limit. Just not a big fan of the Phenom II compared to an older Xeon.

• @jarland said: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, still feeling the Quick Packet deals they've been running around with. I like the dual 5420 but I'd rather gigabit and a 10-20TB limit.

Actually I saw that deal as well..really tempting but the $199 setup fee to lower the price from $69/m to $39/m was kinda a turnoff

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@earl said: Actually I saw that deal as well..really tempting but the $199 setup fee to lower the price from $69/m to $39/m was kinda a turnoff

If it interests you, message them before you let that bother you ;)

• Ok I might as well post the offer

===ATLANTA=DEDICATED=SERVERS===================

HP Proliant DL160 G5 - Intel Dual Xeon L5420

• Dual Quad Core 2.5 GHz / 1333 MHz FSB / 2x 12 MB Cache
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 1 TB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    • 5 IP Addresses on Private VLAN with Reverse DNS
    • Unmanaged
    • Located in 55 Marietta / Atlanta, GA
    • FREE Dedicated iLO / IPMI
    • 10 TB Bandwidth / 1000 Mbps Port

Choose your payment option:

@jarland said: If it interests you, message them before you let that bother you ;)

Yeah but I don't think I want to be wasting their time.. but the hardware sure looks good those HP DL360 g5 are still pretty expensive I think..

• @earl said: I purchased an extra 250gb drive also but only later I was told there was no Hardware raid and cannot do software raid since I requested to install proxmox

proxmox supports lvm, so in theory you can set up raid 1 on two Physical Volumes (or LVs, I'm not sure)

• @hyao said: proxmox supports lvm, so in theory you can set up raid 1 on two Physical Volumes (or LVs, I'm not sure)

Yeah there was a how to on it but I think technically it's not really supported.. I will see when I get my server I can Play around with the IPMI hopefully it does come with the KVM option..

• I'd choose WSI offer. Reason being-

1) Powerful CPU,
    2) ECC Ram,
    3) Dedicated IPMI,
    4) Server grade (Dell) hardware, if I'm not wrong.

Additional HDD costs another $5/month. Network is Gigabit In/100 Mbps Out - good enough for me. You can bring the cost down to $33/month with 6 months prepayment.

• @biplab said: You can bring the cost down to $33/month with 6 months prepayment.

Yes I was thinking about doing this next month.. actually I don't think I even need the extra drive so it would lower the cost to $30/m if prepay for 6 months

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2013

I hate buydown as it screws you over; Even if you're in for the long term. I'm really happy with my wsi dual xeons. They currently host all of my personal sites plus nagios and piwik

• @fly said: I'm really happy with my wsi dual xeons. They currently host all of my personal sites plus nagios and piwik

How does it compare with your CM server? do you think WSI is better?