Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maxmind beta - minFraud Insights
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Maxmind beta - minFraud Insights

BruceBruce Member

anyone tried it yet ?

same price as minfraud standard during beta

https://www.maxmind.com/en/minfraud-score-insights-beta

Comments

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2015

I have a demo account but haven't got round to trying it yet. I'll; try post back if I use it in a reasonable timeframe.

We could have gathered BIN ranges, IP lookup details ourselves but it seems short-term maxmind is less hassle.

• BruceBruce Member

seems that WHMCS doesn't support this yet, so not very exciting

• blackblack Member

@ricardo IP lookup details for the sole purpose of geolocation?

• Looks like a fraud record replacement.

• Is anyone in the hosting community using this? Everyone these days seems to be on FraudRecord

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

HostMyBytes said: Is anyone in the hosting community using this? Everyone these days seems to be on FraudRecord

That's what they (carders, etc) expect you to use only FraudRecord, yes :)

• black said: @ricardo IP lookup details for the sole purpose of geolocation?

I am interested in that data in general, but specifically here I'm accepting card payments and any datapoints that help can be thrown in.

Maxmind covers most/all of the bases, though most of the data they use isn't so hard to acquire.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Bruce said:
    seems that WHMCS doesn't support this yet, so not very exciting

How you can expect beta service included in WHMCS instantly?

• BruceBruce Member

no expectation. just a wish. considering that WHMCS users must be a big part of their customer base, some plans for supporting it, or an alternative module would have been nice

• elgselgs Member

I think it sucks, because I'm always labeled as fraud by them.

• BruceBruce Member

@elgs said:
    I think it sucks, because I'm always labeled as fraud by them.

do you know why ?

Thanked by 2elgs Dormeo
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2015

always labeled as fraud

I had that issue when I was residing in Canada but using UK details. Details I entered were a UK LTD company but purely because my IP was Canadian a lot of orders got flagged. It can be a bit black and white with them.

Similar with Paypal payments. Our business account has my colleagues name, but if I enter my name on signups it can get messy (as Paypal always seem to forward the customer's personal name, even for business accounts). I think I've had that flagged too, and even had an order refused because of it. Silly, when details of any LTD company are just a Google away.

• elgselgs Member

@Bruce said:
    do you know why ?

I actually don't know why. It works like a magic black box.

• BruceBruce Member

order a service from someone, then ask about the results ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

Bruce said: just a wish. considering that WHMCS users must be a big part of their customer base, some plans for supporting it, or an alternative module would have been nice

I'm sure clients would love it if their host was using an unstable service in production. :) Honestly, there could have been a plugin the day it was released but the reason there isn't is because the people smart enough to code it are also smart enough not to use it. When it's stable the WHMCS module will be updated, until then I hope they focus their time on other things.

• BruceBruce Member

@KuJoe said:
    I'm sure clients would love it if their host was using an unstable service in production.

I'm thinking about beta testing on test server. along with trialling WHMCS 6.0, before putting into production, or not.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Worse, really need this?

• Just wondering if it's legal or illegal to report clients information to these 3rd pary orgnizations? I think it should be illegal as the hosting company doesn't have the rights to send the privacy to anyone else.

• WSSWSS Member

@Greyhound said:
    Just wondering if it's legal or illegal to report clients information to these 3rd pary orgnizations? I think it should be illegal as the hosting company doesn't have the rights to send the privacy to anyone else.

It's Maxmind, so it's guaranteed to be a few datacenters off..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Greyhound said:
    Someone just denied me service based on this, it should be illegal.

Translated that for you.

• @jarland said:

@Greyhound said:

Translated that for you.

Definitely not. Just saw some topics and was interested in these kinds of stuff and would add the feature in my business if it's legal.

But one more question, how about if someone deliberately submit the information to Maxmind? For example if I'm not happy with one of my clients and he quits my business and I submit his information to Maxmind. Will something happen?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Greyhound said:

@jarland said:

@Greyhound said:

Translated that for you.

Definitely not. Just saw some topics and was interested in these kinds of stuff and would add the feature in my business if it's legal.

But one more question, how about if someone deliberately submit the information to Maxmind? For example if I'm not happy with one of my clients and he quits my business and I submit his information to Maxmind. Will something happen?

Maxmind isn't like fraudrecord. Maxmind is a statistical risk assessment and they do accept reports, but it is up to them to choose whether to use them as data points for the assessment.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

HostMyBytes said: seikan said: Same as this one. http://www.fraudlabspro.com/

Is anyone in the hosting community using this?

We do use fraudlabspro more detailed than Maxmind and you will be able to create a custom rules, so far 10 out 10 - every order is correctly handled.

• A little bit offtopic

Fraudrecord has an API to integrate with custom payment systems? Because I will be coding something custom for a website, and I am evaluating the options about these fraud detection systems.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@yomero yes it does

Thanked by 1yomero
  • SplitIce said: @yomero yes it does

Thank you. Now is a matter of... choosing the "best".

This implementation will be for a ecommerce site, nothing related to hosting. Any advice on this?