Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Had to get a new server at home - how more expencive then what you could get it for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Had to get a new server at home - how more expencive then what you could get it for?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited January 2017 in General

My trusted home server from 2012 got some serious issues, just cutting power and issues when restarting etc. Maybe the PSU? Maybe some other things. But it was time to get a new server anyway. Using it for running all my virtual machines at home, including my remote desktop that I use on all my laptops, and when I'm out traveling etc.

Got this hardware, no hard drives since I have a storage of SSD and large hard drives. And I will use most of the old drives from the old server.

Corsair Carbide 200R Midi Tower Corsair VS650, 650W PSU MSI C236M Workstation, Socket-1151 main board Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 Processor - Quad Core 3.5GHz with Hyper Threading Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB ECC RAM

For that I paid €1027 in parts, and I put the parts together.

What price do you have to pay for the same or similar parts? How expensive is Norway on computer parts?

Thanked by 1Cyph3r

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2017

Corsair Carbide 200R

~60 €

Corsair VS650

~50 €

MSI C236M Workstation

~140 €

Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5

~320 €

Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB ECC

~220 €

all including german VAT, sums up to 790 € more or less and eventually some minor shipping costs.

(you should have asked before, could probably bought that and shipped to you or something like that ;-))

(but don't know about your custom and tax duties for import anyways...)

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited January 2017

Falzo said: (but don't know about your custom and tax duties for import anyways...)

You have to add 25% more in import/tax duties. So almost 990, + shipping.

A breakdown of the parts:

Corsair Carbide 200R - €71 Corsair VS650 - €55 MSI C236M Workstation - €187 Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 - €365 Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB ECC - €335

So RAM is extra expensive here in Norway....

• Why VS? Why not Vx?

• @Junkless said:
    Why VS? Why not Vx?

I don't understand you...can you explain?

• This is what I use for a home server. Small, powerful, and doesn't use much power.
    http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

Thanked by 2myhken willie
  • @myhken said:

@Junkless said:
    Why VS? Why not Vx?

He talking about the Corsair PSU range, i think VS is the low-end of the range, not sure where the VX range come in at.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @Razza said:

@myhken said:

@Junkless said:
    Why VS? Why not Vx?

He talking about the Corsair PSU range, i think VS is the low-end of the range, not sure where the VX range come in at.

Yeah. VX should be the bare minimum, if not TX or HX (modular).

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I see. I did not do any research at all, just put together some stuff, and went to the store. I actually got the wrong main board, but I had mention on a Norwegian forum, and one pointed that out, just before I went to get the parts. So I got a new one, and returned the old one (that not supported XEON and ECC RAM).

If I get any issues with the PSU, I know what to change it to.

• @Falzo said:

Corsair Carbide 200R

~60 €

Corsair VS650

~50 €

MSI C236M Workstation

~140 €

Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5

~320 €

Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB ECC

~220 €

all including german VAT, sums up to 790 € more or less and eventually some minor shipping costs.

(you should have asked before, could probably bought that and shipped to you or something like that ;-))

(but don't know about your custom and tax duties for import anyways...)

Cheapest in EU likely also, and no you can ship but pay import taxes then in NO (20-25%?).

Thanked by 1myhken
  • William said: Cheapest in EU likely also, and no you can ship but pay import taxes then in NO (20-25%?).

myhken said: You have to add 25% more in import/tax duties.

+1

afait norway is part of EFTA which should lift import customs, but for sure you have to pay those 25% norwegian VAT, but you may be able to deduct the 19% german VAT ...

after all probably just too much hassle and also time involved to spare some bucks for something you were in for 'right now' :-)

Thanked by 1myhken