Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.de domains and denic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.de domains and denic

I just had to change the nameservers for a .de domain and experienced again what I always experience when dealing with denic.

To make it short and crispy: A bunch of anally bureaucratic assholes.

To top it off they show themselves to be utterly incompetent.

Current example: Their "nast" checking tool stubbornly refused to accept the new name servers. So I downloaded the cli version of that tool to at least not be exposed to their web interface. Result: the java thing didn't work (note 1) I'm frequently running java crap and am hence sure that the problem is not on my side. 2) of course java. What else were to be expected from denic ...).

So, I worked through two pdf documents of them and found out that their imbecile nast checking crap had flagged my NS change because ... * drum roll * ... There are 4 name servers in the NS records (all of them working and double checked) but due to their shitty interface entered only 3 because to a add another one I had to click on "more nameservers" which I didn't do.

So, the "law" requires 2 name servers. I have 4 and entered 3 but they rejected it!
When I finally entered all 4 NS denic finally let my changes pass.

In-fucking-cred-ible!

Some years ago (yes, years, because I try to avoid denic like the pestilence they are) a client needed and absolutely wanted (don't worry, he is cured now, hehe) a .de domain for his german company. He himself is also german. So there should be no problems, right?
Wrong. The poor guy is in a somewhat sensible business and didn't want to tell his street address (it's no secret but he didn't want it to be globally visible through whois), so he entered his (valid, working, and legal) postbox.
denix refused! They said that he absolutely must enter his street address.
They had his email, his phone number right in his office and he even offered to give them his street address internally but to please use the valid, working, and legal postbox for whois. They refused.
Wait, it gets better!

But they told him that he could use a certain lawyer (and his address) as strawmen for a fee. Now guess. I followed that and examined that guy somewhat and he seemed to be a lover of the bitch running denic at that time. I found many pictures of them together and they seemed to also do quite some "side business".

How are your experiences with denic/.de?

Comments

• Do you have to deal with them directly? I thought you could buy a domain through a registrar and they take care of everything. I don't have .de but I have another country domain and had no problems. Gandi and probably others sell .de: https://www.gandi.net/domain/price/detail/de/

• You are right ... and not.
    Of course one can deal with them through any registrar but there is an ugly "but". In a way a registrar is just some kind of reseller. It's the rules of the national registry that count and they can and do impose them.

Today, for instance, I just got a plain "refused". No reason, no nothing. So I had to go to denic and find out what they complained about and which of their rather arbitrary bureaucratic rules I broke and how to make my changes pass.

• I have one *.de domain with domaindiscount24.de - and changed the nameserver yesterday. Took a few Seconds and no problems to report of.

• I've had a few domains deleted 1 month later because of their nameserver theatrics. Never quite understood their logic behind it all.

• I actually manage around 300 .de through a german registrar, never had any issues. yet I don't use my own nameservers, so can't tell about the hassle that might occur with that.

• Pardon me but remarks à la "I have x .de domains working" don't make too much sense. Of course they work; after all there is a gazillion of them out there. Most of which, however, are managed by registrars whose very business it is. Again many of which are actually german registrars who, of course, know the game even better and are part of some registrar "club".
    Hell, after some domains I could learn enough to create a working pattern, too, if that happened to be my business.

denic also offers (free) name serving for .de domains but I don't like any not absolutely essential service from them.

Btw. some years ago they actually checked and enforced SOA values ... such creating a clusterfuck for dyn. dns providers. Just another typical denic idiocy but it seems after a shitload of complaints, pityful smirks from international colleagues, and some years of thinking (which takes lots of time there) they stopped at least that Kaffka-game.

• Not directly related to your topic (sorry) as I've no direct experience with denic, but is there a way to know when a .de domain is due to renewal / will expire?

It seems that there is not and that it's something they decided to do in order to avoid the whole "snapname" kind of game but is that really the case? Thanks :)

• @datanoise said:
    is there a way to know when a .de domain is due to renewal / will expire?

It's possible if you're a DENIC member, then you've got access to the member whois who still holds all of the information.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • southysouthy Member
    edited January 2017

[quoting re-ordered for a reason]

@bsdguy said:

Again many of which are actually german registrars who, of course, know the game even better and are part of some registrar "club".

It's not a club... It is a cooperative.
    Even though DENIC is an independent organisation, it is owned by and operates for it's members = the registrars.

DENIC offering registration directly obviously is not in the interest of the registrars, being the reason why DENICdirekt (registering directly at DENIC) is insanely costly (116,- EUR / year - normally a .de costs like 5 or 6 EUR a year, so that is about 50x the regular price). It's not meant to be used directly.
    This service is meant to be there as some kind of emergency failback in case a registrar goes bancrupt or can not longer maintain a domain for other reasons.

Pardon me but remarks à la "I have x .de domains working" don't make too much sense. Of course they work; after all there is a gazillion of them out there. Most of which, however, are managed by registrars whose very business it is.

...Which again brings up the question: Why don't you just do what everybody else does and go via a registrar?
    Of course you can still use your own NS Servers, most registrars that I know offer full control over NS as well as SOA - hey, some of my test and development domains have TTL of a minute or so since ages! Schlundtech, InternetX, OVH, united-domains, ... take your pick or take any other.

Hell, after some domains I could learn enough to create a working pattern, too, if that happened to be my business.

The working pattern simply is: don't register without a registrar. It's not so hard. Where's the problem?

Or, if you absolutely do not want to play with the other kids, then become a registrar of your own.

Thanked by 2willie Yura
  • southy said: Schlundtech

That's really the name of a registrar? Does it mean what it sounds like?

Thanked by 1Yura
  • WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    How are your experiences with denic/.de?

I don't run sheisseblogs, so... not all that bad.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • @southy he never said he's directly registering through denic.

• @willie said:

southy said: Schlundtech

That's really the name of a registrar? Does it mean what it sounds like?

This name is based on the name of one of the guys founding the original company Schlund & Partner way back in the 90s - Rainer Schlund. Back then, Schlund & Partner was a founder member of DENIC. A long time ago they have been aquired by 1&1, a member of United Internet. InternetX also belongs to UI, I believe.

@bugrakoc said:
    he never said he's directly registering through denic.

I assumed this because of his answers in the thread:

Of course one can deal with them through any registrar but there is an ugly "but".

[...]

Most of which, however, are managed by registrars whose very business it is.

...but in fact you are right, I might have over-interpreted that and be wrong.

• southy said: one of the guys founding the original company Schlund & Partner way back in the 90s - Rainer Schlund.

Aha, thanks. I think that translates to something like "Rainer Throat" which would be a very weird name in English. Maybe less so in German.

• jtkjtk Member

I've not used a .de name in while, but as I recall they perform a number of checks on the configured name servers and may reject them for a variety reasons. They must be working for the name when you set them up for one. Also, if you specify two name servers and they both reside in the same IPv4 /24 they will reject it, saying you need more address diversity. The intention is fine and maybe good for most use cases, but I agree it can be a pita to deal with in certain scenarios.

I disagree that they are incompetent. They are not. A reasonable argument may be made about their policies compared to other registries, but they have some exceptional DNS expertise on staff.

• @southy said:
    ...Which again brings up the question: Why don't you just do what everybody else does and go via a registrar?

The working pattern simply is: don't register without a registrar. It's not so hard. Where's the problem?

Or, if you absolutely do not want to play with the other kids, then become a registrar of your own.

a) It's in the spirit of the internet and techies to do things oneself. The very web servers most web sites are served by came into existence because someone wanted to and did a server himself.

b) when states block web sites they usually do it via the dns system. obviously the dns system is one of the critical central points of the internet.

c) kindly don't serve me the "mothers tour". The problem is not me wanting to run my on name servers; the problem is not a lack of knowledge or experience on my side. I'm running name servers since many years. The problem is at denic. It's no me who is the strange kid, it's denic. It's denic which doesn't play with the others but always wants his special sauce. It's denic arrogating the the judges position to interpret the internet rules in its own strange ways.

Example: For many years you did not even get the required whois info from denic. They forced you to your their private weirdo interface.

• @bugrakoc said:
    @southy he never said he's directly registering through denic.

Indeed. I'm registering through a domain provider of my choice. What I was talking about here is that only and particularly .de domains are troublesome. When one sets the name servers for a .de domain the denic people refuse unless one meets their special and wanton arbitrary "rules".

Anyone who actually knows about domains and dns and who has some experience knows that for any domain things end up with the "authoritative registrar" which for .de is denic.
    It's not e.g. godaddy who manages whois records, it's those "authoritative registrars".

• @jtk said:
    I disagree that they are incompetent. They are not. A reasonable argument may be made about their policies compared to other registries, but they have some exceptional DNS expertise on staff.

I have provided multiple examples.
    Moreover there is reason to believe they are (or have been) corrupt i.a. by bending their own holy rules for a fee. Plus they are super-arrogant by forcing their own private and quite strange interpretation of the rules upon everyone registering a .de domain.

You provide no arguments but rather just arbitrarily assert and you mix up incompentence and stupidity.
    I do not doubt that there are some very knowledgable people at denic who are experts on dns. That's why I didn't call them stupid. Plus there is a difference between some few individuals there and the organization denic.

• WSSWSS Member

I like pie.

• @WSS

No. No pie for you because in the other thread you suggested to overfeed the poor little net cat with whole disks! You evil person.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

Noting wrong with plump pussy..

• @willie said:

southy said: one of the guys founding the original company Schlund & Partner way back in the 90s - Rainer Schlund.

Aha, thanks. I think that translates to something like "Rainer Throat" which would be a very weird name in English. Maybe less so in German.

I know. Yes it does translate this way and yes, obviously this is also the meaning in german.
    And no, I have never heard of anyone other by that name so it's probably not too common...
    But still, that's where the brand name originates.

• southy said: Yes it does translate this way and yes, obviously this is also the meaning in german.

Well I mean in English that name would get people laughing quietly. There's a well-known English orchestra conductor named John Butt. Same idea.