Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

which virtualization technology suitable for stress test?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

which virtualization technology suitable for stress test?

I am learning golang & web programming nowadays and i want to try different programs/configurations etc. I've learned that OVZ vpses are not good candidates for experimenting since programs may be detrimental to shared resources. As I understand (from arubacloud's infos) VMWARE is also not suitable.

Are KVM based vpses suitable for this kind of experiments. Or the only way is a dedicated server?

Comments

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

Are you wanting to stress test the servers or your software ?

• Use a dedicated server. Scaleway has some cheap ones by the hour, and they have 8 (Atom=slow) cores, so that will let you try out parallel methods with golang.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Always use a service with dedicated ressources: Dedicated Servers, KVM VDS or KVM Slice are good options.

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

KVM or even Xen should be good for you. You are correct about OpenVZ, the resources there are completely shared so you'd likely run in to issues

• VMWARE would be fine if configured correctly (I.e you were purchasing dedicated CPU resource)

• @Hannan said:

I want to test software, but software can eat much cpu cycles and ram bytes. Since i am trying different algorithms and a student, things may escalate :) For example, last week, a small go program used 6 GB ram in my laptop working on string comparing algorithms.

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

@yekta said:

@Hannan said:

I want to test software, but software can eat much cpu cycles and ram bytes. Since i am trying different algorithms and a student, things may escalate :) For example, last week, a small go program used 6 GB ram in my laptop working on string comparing algorithms.

You need a dedicated server for this purpose. VPS is not good for what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks

• Dedicated server is the way to go, because most VPS providers won't allow stress testing as it will resource intensive for their VPS server and might affect their other clients

• Thanks. I have bought a dedicated server from online.net special deals for this purpose.