Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSDVIRT goes to the wall
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSDVIRT goes to the wall

Been with them years, found them very good.
I was hoping 2017 was going to be a good year.

SSDVirt was started in 2012 to provide SSD-based VPSs at disruptive price points. Many factors have changed over 5 years. As a result, SSDVirt will be shutting down at the end of January 2017. It has been our pleasure to work with you and provide reliable services.

New York services will shutdown on January 21 2017. Dallas services will shutdown on January 26 2017. Please ensure your data is backed up prior to then.

Please use the support ticket system for any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
SSDVirt

http://ssdvirt.com

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SSDVirt

Comments

• Is this 2 week shutdown notice typical? It seems potentially drama provoking. If it's a planned shutdown I'd think more notice would be doable, and from the user end would be much preferable.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sounds like someone who knows they can't pay the next bill. It happens I guess. Good on them for at least giving some notice. We've all seen worse.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • They are still accepting orders, lol.

• According to my DB they were charging $5 yearly. Worked until it didn't.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ricardo said: According to my DB they were charging $5 yearly. Worked until it didn't.

Pure SSD and a dedicated IP for $5 p/month and it failed?

That would leave them with at most $4.50 after fee's

Lets say 128 VPS on a node, yields $576 p/year.

Solusvm master+slave and WHMCS at a minimum are $341.40 p/year

So that's $234.60 p/year on the first server and about $350 p/year on every new node after that.

based on that to reach even minimum wage they would need to deploy 52 nodes, but then you know, they would need about a /19 which would cost 4 times the profit.

I cant say i am even remotely surprised, anyone that is needs to really give themselves a shake.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited January 2017

john564 said: SSDVirt was started in 2012 to provide SSD-based VPSs at disruptive price points.

And they realized that by year 4 they still had not even broke even so only actually disrupted themselves.

I would love to get a look at that business plan/napkin.

Thanked by 1david_W
  • @AnthonySmith said:

john564 said: SSDVirt was started in 2012 to provide SSD-based VPSs at disruptive price points.

And they realized that by year 4 they still had not even broke even so only actually disrupted themselves.

I would love to get a look at that business plan/napkin.

You and me both, although they could still bring the company back into profit by simply adjusting prices, it would piss off new clients that they are not cheap but it could work

• niknik Member, Host Rep

If someone is looking for a new home, feel free to contact me. We will match your current prices with SSDVirt.

Thanked by 1WSS

nik said: We will match your current prices with SSDVirt.

$5 - for 256mb Ram, 10GB Pure SSD and 2 x IPv4 ?

Ok send me the link.

Thanked by 2WSS ATHK
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited January 2017

Their $5 plans were for 64MB RAM, 2GB of disk, one IPv4. It was likely an offer on here.

I have two plans that were $5/yearly and a couple that were $30/y (256MB plan)

My last invoice ID was 4158, going by the history it looked like they issued around 50 invoices a month.

But yeah, in the long run it clearly wasn't worth their trouble.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @willie said:
    They are still accepting orders, lol.

Out of stock.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2017

SSDVirt was started in 2012 to provide SSD-based VPSs at disruptive price points.

No more questions, thanks. "we are cheaper!" is pretty much bound to fail unless you have at least one other strong factor. Which is rarely the case; if it were, one would not go the "disruptive price" route in the first place.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited January 2017

john564 said: Been with them years, found them very good. I was hoping 2017 was going to be a good year.

OT: Do non-German speakers actually use the phrase in topic? Never really seen... we have it in German as "Gegen die Wand fahren" ("Drive against a wall", usually intentional, by stupidity)

• @nik said:
    If someone is looking for a new home, feel free to contact me. We will match your current prices with SSDVirt.

I have a MVZ64 vps (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/23424/ssdvirt-ssd-vps-hosting-from-5-year-ssd-raid-10-1gbps-e3-cpus-dallas) from SSDVirt with the following specs:

MVZ64 - $5/year
    RAM: 64 MB
    vSwap: 64 MB
    SSD Storage: 2 GB
    CPU Cores: 1 Core
    Transfer: 100 GB
    Port Speed: 1 Gbps
    IP Addresses: 1 IPv4 + IPv6 on request

If nik or providers here could match the price with similiar or better resource, please post your offer. Thanks.

I also need inbound SMTP port open to accept incoming mail. Blocking outbound SMTP is fine with me.

William said: ("Drive against a wall", usually intentional, by stupidity)

I was going to say: "he took a nose dive" but actually that does not imply that it was intentional, pretty sure there is a commonly used English equivalent but I cant recall it for some reason.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    I was going to say: "he took a nose dive" but actually that does not imply that it was intentional, pretty sure there is a commonly used English equivalent but I cant recall it for some reason.

"Take a dive" is actually precisely what you meant. "Anthony Smith", not a native English speaker, though? PERISH THE THOUGHT!

"Take a dive" ? never heard that one, I was born here, my grasp of the language is about equal to a 13 year old dutch kid though, which for the UK is not bad :)

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    "Take a dive" ? never heard that one, I was born here, my grasp of the language is about equal to a 13 year old dutch kid though, which for the UK is not bad :)

lol

Try watching "Rocky". To "take a dive" means to fall prematurely, and is a very common term here in the colonies.

• @AnthonySmith thanks for your posts and cost breakdown. Solusvm master+slave and WHMCS price is too much (compared to other costs). low end Hosting/VPS providers should team up and sponsor a project to make open-source free alternative to those panels.

• saf31 said: low end Hosting/VPS providers should team up and sponsor a project to make open-source free alternative to those panels.

I thought that had been done about a bajillion times already?

WSS said: Try watching "Rocky". To "take a dive" means to fall prematurely, and is a very common term here in the colonies.

Oh right, that kind of take a dive "he took a dive in the 3rd round", not sure that really captures what william was saying though.

saf31 said: Solusvm master+slave and WHMCS price is too much (compared to other costs).

Not really, it is peanuts, I would pay double if they would actually do something useful with the developments.

It is however a significant cost when you are selling hosting at less than cost which is what the host seemed to do in this instance.

This should be a lesson, you see a great $5 p/year deal, its fine to take it an use it, just do not depend on it because the people offering it will fail sooner or later.

Used to be a common theme on WHT circa 2010 - 2011 (ish), people would ask for 'insert stupidly high spec for stupidly low money' and 90% of responses would be along the lines of:

"Why do not you want your host to eat?"

"Do you want your host to go out of business?"

"Why is your host not allowed to make any profit?"

Fun times.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I'm confused @anthonysmith, where's this $5/year deal i'm missing... all i've seen around is $5.00/month?

Francisco

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Two weeks notice is ridiculous. I would expect at least a month.

Francisco said: I'm confused @anthonysmith, where's this $5/year deal i'm missing.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2023287/#Comment_2023287
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2023062/#Comment_2023062

I think it is safe to assume they are not available now in order to be found.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

Francisco said: I'm confused @anthonysmith, where's this $5/year deal i'm missing.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2023287/#Comment_2023287
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2023062/#Comment_2023062

I think it is safe to assume they are not available now in order to be found.

Oh for fucks sake.

Any time i see an offer like this it's because:

• They need now cash to get past some bills
    • They don't know how to do math
    • House brand or share the same bed, socks, and underwear
    • They're ballot box stuffing for a community poll due soon

I've yet to see a provider tick any of these boxes and stick around or keep their nose clean.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@Francisco said:

I've yet to see a provider tick any of these boxes and stick around or keep their nose clean.

Francisco

Virmach deadpool?

• @WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Virmach deadpool?

Nah, underwear.

• WSSWSS Member

Under... what!?