Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DB as a service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DB as a service

I see Amazon RDS or Google providing DB as a separate service for customers. I remember Prometeus used to provide mysql (not purely as a service model, but Thier VPS) not anymore.

Is there any other providers who provide this. Typically with HA and scalability options.

Is there a market for seperation product line offering for VPS providers. Could be a value added services as well.

Comments

• cleardb.com, microsoft azure are 2 more that come to mind

Thanked by 1nagug
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2017

Apparently online.net will be doing this. I signed for the beta but haven't received the details.

Buyvm does this also iirc?

Thanked by 2nagug Francisco
  • and OVH.com I think is starting something

• In assuming having a DB far your application would be slow. Online.net and buyVM seems interesting as they also have VM. But online.net VPS does not have great CPU spec.
    Shall check on cleardb for latency.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

There's lots of these at many price levels-- I'd even say it's a crowded market.

BuyVM's are only for VPS hosted at BuyVM, not a separate product, fwiw.

runabove.net has a few things of this type.

Thanked by 2nagug Francisco
  • Bit surprised iwstack or lunanode or nodion or any other cloud vps providers don't have these.

• BuyVM http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/sharedsql (great service)... I think Vpsdime have this too

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Do the new slices still come with sharedsql? @Francisco

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We never gave shared SQL for free, it was always a $1.00/month additional cost.

Francisco

Thanked by 1nagug
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Online.net have a DBaaS going in beta atm

• nagug said: Bit surprised iwstack or lunanode or nodion or any other cloud vps providers don't have these.

Spin up 2 servers with MariaDB; it's not like RDS does much more either - you literally get EC2 instances you just can't access.

• @William said:

nagug said: Bit surprised iwstack or lunanode or nodion or any other cloud vps providers don't have these.

Spin up 2 servers with MariaDB; it's not like RDS does much more either - you literally get EC2 instances you just can't access.

I was planning the similar approach with a xtradb cluster.

@francisco given mysql uses most resources for me, I think for a service with HA and scalability, it's worth paying more. I always felt SQL replication is bit more complicated than file replications.

• @William said:

nagug said: Bit surprised iwstack or lunanode or nodion or any other cloud vps providers don't have these.

RDS does a whole lot more than that.

• Looks like OVH is providing such service.

• Reading this made me think... What if DO had this one click app template where it deploy 2 VPS with MariaDB with replication ON. I'm lazy I would pay that. @jarland do it!

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Better make sure they're on separate nodes! There should still be daily backups and all that too. I guess DO provides that though, maybe at extra cost.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited January 2017

@Francisco said:
    We never gave shared SQL for free, it was always a $1.00/month additional cost.

Francisco

My bad, but will it still be available on/with slices for that additional cost?

Yup :)

Francisco

• @willie said:
    Better make sure they're on separate nodes!

>
    >

Unmanaged, but automated is the way to go. DB cluster (mariadb or nosql or equivalent), block storage (ceph or equivalent) and host nodes. Any day worth paying for that combo. That leaves people to focus on application and not on the infrastructure backup etc.

So we have
    1. Amazon
    2. Azure
    3. Cleardb
    4. Google cloud
    5. buyVM
    6. Online.net (beta)
    7. Ovh

Anybody else I missed?

Thanks
    Nagu

• I have used https://www.compose.com/ in the past. Very expensive but worth it.

• Digital Ocean, RamNode, Vultr

@nagug said:

@willie said:

>
    >

Unmanaged, but automated is the way to go. DB cluster (mariadb or nosql or equivalent), block storage (ceph or equivalent) and host nodes. Any day worth paying for that combo. That leaves people to focus on application and not on the infrastructure backup etc.

So we have
    1. Amazon
    2. Azure
    3. Cleardb
    4. Google cloud
    5. buyVM
    6. Online.net (beta)
    7. Ovh

Anybody else I missed?

Thanks
    Nagu

• Going the Digital Ocean route will give you the freedom to locate your production server (possibly a testing server) and more relevantly your DB server on the same LAN. Digital Ocean also allow private networking between your servers - for extra performance boost.

With Digital Ocean, you would manage the servers yourself, but would have the required features of snapshot images and backups for redundancy.

@Hxxx said:
    Digital Ocean, RamNode, Vultr

@nagug said:

@willie said:

>
    >

So we have
    1. Amazon
    2. Azure
    3. Cleardb
    4. Google cloud
    5. buyVM
    6. Online.net (beta)
    7. Ovh

Anybody else I missed?

Thanks
    Nagu

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • maybe worth checking heroku

• @nagug said:

@willie said:

>
    >

So we have
    1. Amazon
    2. Azure
    3. Cleardb
    4. Google cloud
    5. buyVM
    6. Online.net (beta)
    7. Ovh

Anybody else I missed?

Thanks
    Nagu

Prometeus

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There are other players out there, but for DBaaS it seems everyone wants to be super-enterprise. e.g., enterprisedb has a DBaaS offering, but it's one of those "contact them for pricing". Lots of places like that.

If price is no obstacle, there's Oracle Public Cloud and they do DBaaS...

There's also a bit of blurring of lines. You could run a DB on OpenShift, but is that really DBaaS?

I assume you're only looking for SQL. If NoSQL, there's another pile (e.g., MongoHQ, etc.)

• @raindog308

Price is always a concern. You don't need to enterprisy . Good old shared mysql by Prometeus or buyVM is sufficient. But available with HA(cluster) and is scalable. In otherwords a good template for cloud instance. Afterall everything is close to compute instance onlym I spin up DB instance don't worry about you forming cluster etc. That's good and sufficient. simple LET style.

Today Prometeus don't provide it. Wish iwstack had it. Do or ramnode or Vultr is DIY. If DIY, then every body who provides private IP can be added to the list. Heroku uses cleardb. May be they have their own. Others are crazy costly.

• BradND said: RDS does a whole lot more than that.

No, AURORA does a lot more, MySQL 5.5 and even 5.6 does not do anything you could not configure yourself in a few hours on EC2 and 2 ELBs. For a hefty price tag.

For what it's worth we have plans this year to finally merge it into stallion as a properly managed addon instead of through cPanel like we do now. I'd like to have it as an HA cluster within each location.

Price will stay the same.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Price will stay the same.

How do you limit a neighbor abusing the database?

@jcaleb said:

Francisco said: Price will stay the same.

How do you limit a neighbor abusing the database?

We just keep an eye on things and make sure the nodes are turned well enough to not get into those kinda of positions.

-16:03:42- addons01.frantech.ca:~ :: root # mysqladmin status

Uptime: 1848937 Threads: 130 Questions: 5968469795 Slow queries: 5481 Opens: 486777 Flush tables: 2 Open tables: 2048 Queries per second avg: 3228.054