Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will IPv4 IP addresses be exhausted? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When will IPv4 IP addresses be exhausted?

2»

Comments

• ethancedrik said: Anyone on Comcast Cable in the US gets like 3 IPv6s I think

generous

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • ethancedrik said: Anyone on Comcast Cable in the US gets like 3 IPv6s I think

Ole_Juul said: generous

Thanked by 2Admiral_Awesome Hxxx
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

southy said: I believe that is just the point: there is enough IPv4 space - in theory. None of Ford's industrial robots need to have a public IP if they aren't publically routed (and there is no reason why they should be and much reason why they shouldn't). Same goes for the vast majority of spaces in the other old /8. Not all, but most.

The issue is that Ford interfaces with hundreds if not thousands of suppliers. The reason they use their own /8 for their internal IP addresses is so that there are not IP conflicts between Ford and their suppliers with RFC 1918 space usage. It would take a very, very large financial incentive to get them to consider moving to RFC 1918 and then having to deal with conflicts with suppliers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ethancedrik said: Anyone on Comcast Cable in the US gets like 3 IPv6s I think

That's not correct, at Comcast you get up to a /60 subnet of IPv6.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • elgselgs Member
    edited January 2017

@rm_ said:

ethancedrik said: Anyone on Comcast Cable in the US gets like 3 IPv6s I think

That's not correct, at Comcast you get up to a /60 subnet of IPv6.

Just checked my router, I even got a /56 on my home router from Cox.