Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EGI Hosting now offering VPS - guess that's why they wanted BuyVM gone....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EGI Hosting now offering VPS - guess that's why they wanted BuyVM gone....

qpsqps Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

Just received this:

Hello Friends:

>

For many years, EGI Hosting has been a leader of high quality and affordable dedicated servers and colocation services. Today, EGI Hosting announces the launch of their latest service and product offerings: Virtual Servers!

>

Using Enterprise hardware and specialized clustering software, EGI can now offer customers the same quality and affordable dedicated servers virtually. These virtual servers are self-managed and have many new features unavailable on standard dedicated servers. These virtual servers allow for instant reboots, instant shutdowns, free KVM access and unlimited and free Operating System reinstalls.

>

We are offering 3 Virtual Server Packages in San Jose and 2 packages in New York.

@Francisco - I wonder if this is why they wanted BuyVM gone...

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Odd disparity in their plans.

• San Jose & New York.

128 1 Core 20 GB 500 GB $25.00/yr San Jose
    2048 2 Cores 75 GB 5000 GB $49.00/mo San Jose / New York

At first I saw this and was like, wow - 2gb ram for $49/year! then realized it jumps from $25/yr to /mo. Meh.

It's so easy for people to throw together an onapp cluster and resell it.

The fact that you can't seem to sign up and have to email also seems strange.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited February 2013

So that's why they were working on some nodes on Sunday...

I'm still going for BuyVM, their DDoS protection is what makes me a customer.

EDIT: I knew this one going to happen, I talked with one of the staff one day and it sounded like they wanted to go into the VPS market for a long time. Maybe BuyVM is what sparked the start of this service.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

EGI, what a shady dealer.

Every 128M Unnmanaged Virtual Server will come with:

• 1 CPU core (same as BuyVM)
      • 20GB RAID-10 Hard Drive Storage (5GB more than BuyVM)
      • 1 IPv4 Address (same)
      • 500GB Bandwidth per month. (same as BuyVM)

Additional Features:

• 24/7 Support by Email / LiveChat

• Instant Server Reboot
      • Free OS Installs and Re-installs
      • Free Password Resets
      • Instant Upgrades

• Up to 1000Mbps (1Gbps) Network Ports
        BuyVM is 1Gbps by default.
        Expect this to be an addon cost.

• Maximum 1 IPv4 Address per server

• Available in our San Jose Datacenter

• SSD Read Caching (Select Nodes)
        Expect an addon cost

• Offloaded MySQL (Coming Soon)
        BuyVM imitator.

• Free IPv6 Addresses (Coming Soon)
        Yawn. True IPV6?

• Free Reverse DNS (Coming Soon)

But, EGI is offering KVM.... Me, I'd ask for a free trial to test throughput on their network first though. Refer to why BuyVM tired and left there.

• @pubcrawler said: True IPV6?

Yes, they definitely have it. I have a /64 from them.

They are clearly trying to rival BuyVM since they are going with the same price point.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I re-read the e-mail and saw this at the bottom:

In the coming weeks, we hope to have reseller offerings and a larger variety of Virtual products such as Xen, OpenVZ, and Storage Solutions.

• @qps said: e-mail

I didn't get any e-mail. I guess they know I'm a BuyVM customer. :/

• It gets more than having money and hardware to successfully sell low end vpses. Sure, having low price is probably going to result in lots of sales. However the amount of "bad apples" it also brings is not trivial... and if they are not prepared to deal with it... well, we will see what happens.

• Good luck. EGI's name is mud around here and WHT based on the BuyVM throughput fiasco.

They'll continue the defensive posture blaming it on the customers router, switch, etc. That stuff won't fly though with folks who know/research.

The only offer that competes directly seems to be that yearly one. The others are monthly and way pricey $49 and $99. Overpriced like most EGI offerings listed with prices on their website.

Storage is another competitive area with BuyVM though. I doubt EGI will make inroads in this market.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited February 2013

@rds100 said: It gets more than having money and hardware to successfully sell low end vpses. Sure, having low price is probably going to result in lots of sales. However the amount of "bad apples" it also brings is not trivial... and if they are not prepared to deal with it... well, we will see what happens.

They might become flooded with support tickets, which would be sad, knowing that there are colocation customers who would most likely need faster support for mission-critical applications. I guess we can only see what will happen.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@mnpeep said: I didn't get any e-mail. I guess they know I'm a BuyVM customer. :/

We had asked for quotes from EGI in the past when we were considering co-locating with them, so I guess that's how we got on their mailing list.

• @qps said: We had asked for quotes from EGI in the past when we were considering co-locating with them, so I guess that's how we got on their mailing list.

I am colo'ing with them... And I'm not on that list.

Also, here's the WHT thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1234610

• Offloaded MySQL (Coming Soon!)

I would say I'm shocked.. lol

• Hmm someone should report that post on WHT. It breaks WHT's rules.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

I am getting some bad (or lets say rather under average) latency results between EU and their NYC location (205.164.41.18). Just HE link?

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited February 2013

@rds100 said: Hmm someone should report that post on WHT. It breaks WHT's rules.

Hmm...

@Spirit said: I am getting some bad latency results between EU and their NYC location (205.164.41.18 ). Just HE link?

Yup, that's why BuyVM moved in the first place. Looks like they have the same issue on their own hardware.

Also, let's tag @Francisco.

• That IP @mnpeep is EGI's that Spirit posted.

I tested that and 69.6ms from Maidenhead in United Kingdom. Looks fine.

• This is kind of interesting on their ad on WHT:

Please keep in mind that order processing may take up to 1-2 business days.

We have a VERY limited supply of KVM-128M plans. These are in SJC. First-come. First-Serve.

That supply issues + 2 day potential wait isn't going to sit with lots of folks.

Their network in NY from the UK, that looks great. 69ms is the lowest I have yet to see across the pond.

• @mnpeep said: Hmm...

Maybe i were wrong. I remember there was a WHT rule that said that all offers must include direct signup links for the product / services being offered. But i just went and reread the rules at WHT and couldn't find that particular rule. So maybe i don't remember right or the rules was removed or just i can't find it.

• @pubcrawler said: Their network in NY from the UK, that looks great.

It seems good, direct HE link between, but sadly that doesn't seems the case for some other locations. I am wondering if it's pure HE only.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Another copycat? Who'd have thunk it!

The sad part is, my best bud that works for them is having to head up their VPS division. They aren't doing anything special outside of just straight KVM + solusvm on some boxes though.

He used to work and hang in our staffing chats and such but we had to put an end to that when I saw the solus diagram on their whiteboard.

I always knew that the day we left they'd be wanting to get into the market. The problem is that now they're going to likely piss off a lot of their chinese customers that resell their dedi's.

Francisco

• I just wanted to toss more into this.

I was checking out traceroutes to the IP and file they posted in their ad(s).

Very different routes to San Jose than what I saw with BuyVM.

Running 60ms or so nearly coast to coast, which is also lower than I remember in San Jose.

Network looks good, if they actually sell people that. Too afraid of the dog and pony bait show and shove you in a corner on bandwidth that can't exceed 2MB/s. Oh the San Jose days.

@pubcrawler said: Very different routes to San Jose than what I saw with BuyVM.

Multiple people, even mnpeep and a few of their clients in #frantech, have shown that our routes were heavily modified to always favor HE instead of the full blend that we were paying for.

Multiple times I asked to have HE removed from our blend for the sake of testing some routes and they always gave me some big blab about how they'd have to triple my price.

Francisco

• "All KVM plans include RAID-10 or RAID-1 (NYC) Hard Drive Storage"

$49 monthly for a 2GB VPS with RAID 1? RAID 1???

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

popcorn amirite

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A Correct.

• heavily modified to always favor HE instead of the full blend that we were paying for.

That's some messed up stuff. I remember some of the routes and ping times.

Since you were moving too much bandwidth, they had to rate limit you too.

I am so glad BuyVM moved out. Shady a%% EGI.

@pubcrawler said: I am so glad BuyVM moved out

I'm getting over the fact we had to put the clients through it.

Some clients didn't take kindly to it but the amount of cancellations we had hat were upset over the move is very low (< 15 vm's).

I'm happy with how Vegas is turning out for us though. Once the 10 gig is in place I'll be happy :)

Francisco

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited February 2013

@Francisco Before, HE wasn't a problem, since the DDoS VPSes never touched HE, only EGI's router. Now, it is being forced to use HE in order to move traffic from LV to SJ, which is causing some problems. Maybe I'll move to LV once my term is up. I still have another 7 months to go though.

@mnpeep said: it is being forced to use HE in order to move traffic from LV to SJ,

I'll ask Rob if he can adjust routes maybe.

HE shouldn't be causing any problems unless EGI is still getting wrecked by floods.

Francisco