Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Specs and Offer for Mail Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Specs and Offer for Mail Server

Hi,

We have a client with 350 email accounts and about 2TB of disk usage just for email.

We are looking for a dedicated server, just for email, probably with plesk/cpanel to manage the accounts, spam, etc

What specs to you suggest for CPU/Ram?

Thanks

Comments

• Might be worth talking to @mailcheap depending on if you'd rather manage your self or make it someone else's problem.

Thanked by 2mailcheap claudiof
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think for that storage at a reasonable price, with the rest of the specs hitting reasonable levels for the job, an OVH dedi is going to be the least expensive route. Frankly, if you get 4TB of storage on one, you'll have the other specs needed. I'd start here:

https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/

I'm eyeing the EG-16 for your needs.

Thanked by 1claudiof
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

We can offer 4 TB storage (RAID protection w/ offsite backups) with Ultimate plan for $129/mo. The savings that would be made after buying an EG-16 for $79 and then figuring out some other solution for offsite backups would be very minimal; not to mention the time you would have to spend setting up/managing it.

Comes with Webmail, Calendar (CalDAV), Contacts (CardDAV) and ActiveSync support based on SOGo as standard.

Please see product page, features and infrastructure for more information.

Best Regards,

Pavin.

Thanked by 1claudiof
  • Strongly suggest an email provider. Running your own mail server is getting harder and harder if you care about deliverability.

Thanked by 1claudiof
  • I strongly suggest you to go with @Mailcheap As the managing part and other there

My reason for suggesting @mailcheap is HA and backups with great delivery of your emails. And you get a great team if there is a problem like SPAM,Missing mails and other

If you still want dedicated server OHV as our email GOD says

Remember that you get a person to shout at when things go south

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited January 2017

Indeed it's easy enough to setup you own mail server from the point of view of installing an appropriate software stack. (Whatever your preferred setup is)

I used to host my email on zimbra FOSS + Z-push a few years back and when it worked it was fine, but then I got a raid controller problem that caused the machine to crash.

Didn't lose any email but having an 8 hour + outage because I wasn't available to fix it right away made me realise how important working email was to me. Also I ended up working at it on an off whilst at my dayjob which looking back I'm lucky it didn't get me into trouble.

If my website dies, I couldn't really care, but if email goes down for any length of time it gets extremely inconvenient extremely quickly.

• Ran Zimbra FOSS for a few years. It was garbage. Mailcow is working great for me and my business customers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @doughmanes said:
    Ran Zimbra FOSS for a few years. It was garbage.

What didn't you like about it? I ran the paid version at a previous job, and I was very happy with it.

• Stability wasn't that great on a decent volume mailserver. Not to mention Java.

• @flatland_spider said:

@doughmanes said:
    Ran Zimbra FOSS for a few years. It was garbage.

What didn't you like about it? I ran the paid version at a previous job, and I was very happy with it.

Its a mess but It has some features that are not available in other like forwarding incoming mails to bunch of other IDs calendar sync that works in Mac and Windows distribution lists and more

I prefer mailcow over any other

• @doughmanes said:
    Not to mention Java.

+1. I never mention that thing in a polite society too. It just feels rude all around.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Yeah try to do something as simple as an alias for new-orders@ going to alice@ bob@ and charlie@

Zimbra can't do it FOSS, but Mailcow can.

• @Yura said:

@doughmanes said:
    Not to mention Java.

+1. I never mention that thing in a polite society too. It just feels rude all around.

Please tell that to people who make the KVMoIP in the IPMI's

• @doughmanes said:
    Yeah try to do something as simple as an alias for new-orders@ going to alice@ bob@ and charlie@

It would be a distribution list and pretty sure zimbra FOSS could indeed do it.

• @dragon2611 said:

@doughmanes said:
    Yeah try to do something as simple as an alias for new-orders@ going to alice@ bob@ and charlie@

It would be a distribution list and pretty sure zimbra FOSS could indeed do it.

That's exactly what it was. Zimbra uses Postfix for it's MTA, and it doesn't restrict any of the features. The paid version has extensions like ActiveSync, MAPI, LDAP/AD support, and other things related to HA and backup, but nothing as basic as a distribution list was stripped out of the FOSS version.

• dragon2611 said: It would be a distribution list and pretty sure zimbra FOSS could indeed do it.

Why is there always somebody who says something like this? Are you sure or pretty sure you're talking out of your ass? I'm sure this feature isn't in FOSS. Enjoy being "pretty sure" (not sure)

• @doughmanes said:

dragon2611 said: It would be a distribution list and pretty sure zimbra FOSS could indeed do it.

Why is there always somebody who says something like this? Are you sure or pretty sure you're talking out of your ass? I'm sure this feature isn't in FOSS. Enjoy being "pretty sure" (not sure)

It was present in Version 6.x

https://www.zimbra.com/docs/os/6.0.10/administration_guide/Managing_Accounts.09.3.html

And it looks like it's still present in 8.6.x

https://www.zimbra.com/docs/os/8.6.0/administration_guide/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=860_admin_os.Work_with_Distribution_Lists.html

It was a few years ago so I didn't want to say 100% that i'd been using it as I might have been mis-remembering (I believe I was using v7.x and then 8.0.x)

These are the docs specifically targeting the FOSS edition.

• jaejae Member

claudiof said: What specs to you suggest for CPU/Ram?

quad core i5+8gb ram or better