Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding OVH VPS 10TB "limitation"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding OVH VPS 10TB "limitation"

vovlervovler Member
edited January 2017 in Help

Regarding this document (30/07/2015):
https://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsofservice/Special_Conditions_for_Website_Hosting_Services_on_a_VPS.pdf

2.8 The Supplier will guarantee the bandwidth of the VPS up to 100 Mbps as long as
the traffic of the bandwidth does not exceed the pre-defined set monthly volume of
10TB. This monthly volume includes both intra-OVH traffic and traffic outside of the
OVH network.

2.9 When the monthly traffic volume exceeds the set monthly volume, the bandwidth
of the VPS will be limited to 1 Mbps until the next monthly renewal date

This 10TB is for per service or per account?

For example :

-2xVPS = 20TB (10TB for each)

or

-2xVPS = 10TB

Thanked by 1Lunar

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I'd guess its 10TB per VPS.

• @SSDBlaze said:
    I'd guess its 10TB per VPS.

Thanks, I've read in some post from 2012 that it was per account and I was kinda confused cause in the document it seems that they are talking as per service

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
  • VPS. Or else it would say per account instead of VPS.

• Hi,

I'm pretty sure this 10TB/month bandwidth is no longer applied, I confirm this tomorrow.

Etienne

• For those responding- have you ever reached the 10 TB threshold on a VPS or account or are you just randomly guessing (I presume its just random guesses). I would recommend submit a ticket if you have a question on the terms of your account

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I hope this isnt in effect anymore because I will be above 10TB this month

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2017

Where do you even see it in any of the current TOS... It's like you dug up some TOS from 2012 and for whatever reason asking if it still applies.

Thanked by 2GamerTech24 Vita
  • Fwiw I notice my VPS-SSD with them is capped at the port to 100mbps, even to other servers in the same OVH DC. I think that wasn't always done, so it's disappointing.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

It used to be when you go over 10TB they would cap your bandwidth at 10mbps. Now it is unmetered 100mbps.

edited January 2017

willie said: Fwiw I notice my VPS-SSD with them is capped at the port to 100mbps, even to other servers in the same OVH DC. I think that wasn't always done, so it's disappointing.

They had a bug last summer when it was uncapped and up to 10 Gbps in fact. I was getting 2-3 Gbit in iperf. But as for the way it's "supposed" to be, 100 Mbit unmetered was always the case since the migration from old OVZ to the current KVM/OpenStack offer.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I did a little over 50tb last month with the 3 euro instance last month and over 30 tb/m for last 6 months. Haven't heard anything from ovh.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@vfuse said:
    I did a little over 50tb last month with the 3 euro instance last month and over 30 tb/m for last 6 months. Haven't heard anything from ovh.

Haha, I love this!

edited January 2017

@cam246 said:

@vfuse said:

Haha, I love this!

I doubt it was trouble for ovh since it was 99% internal (Kafka queue server)

If they offer unmetered people will use it ;)

Thanked by 1Cam
  • sinsin Member

@rm_ said:

willie said: Fwiw I notice my VPS-SSD with them is capped at the port to 100mbps, even to other servers in the same OVH DC. I think that wasn't always done, so it's disappointing.

They had a bug last summer when it was uncapped and up to 10 Gbps in fact. I was getting 2-3 Gbit in iperf. But as for the way it's "supposed" to be, 100 Mbit unmetered was always the case since the migration from old OVZ to the current KVM/OpenStack offer.

I remember that :) I kept getting the antiddos emails anytime a download would hit high speeds.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

It's stated there because they reserve right to do so. By no means its guaranteed to happen. I have the cheapest SSD-VPS 1 and I do sometimes average 15-20 TB/m via it.

They just need to have that clause in, if someone buys 5 VPS's and starts to abuse the hell out of them by pushing 32.4 TB/m (100% port 24/7).

I doubt anyone cares if you go above it with a single VPS.

edited January 2017

stefeman said: It's stated there

Where, again? Is that the latest fashionable thing to do, to refer to some omnious ToS, which "states" that you'll get all sorts of punishments and peril, yet disappear or throw a fit when asked for the actual URL to PDF with page and paragraph number.

stefeman said: They just need to have that clause in

It has not been there since their move away from the OVZ lineup.

edited January 2017

@rm_ said:

stefeman said: It's stated there

Where, again? Is that the latest fashionable thing to do, to refer to some omnious ToS, which "states" that you'll get all sorts of punishments and peril, yet disappear or throw a fit when asked for the actual URL to PDF with page and paragraph number.

stefeman said: They just need to have that clause in

It has not been there since their move away from the OVZ lineup. Kindly wake the fuck up.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsofservice/

Refer to:

1. Special Conditions for Virtual Private Servers (VPS)
    2. Special Conditions for Website Hosting Services on a VPS 2016

https://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsofservice/Special_Conditions_for_Website_Hosting_Services_on_a_Virtual_Private_Server.pdf

Page 2, section 2.8

https://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsofservice/Special_Conditions_for_Website_Hosting_Services_on_a_VPS.pdf

page 2, section 2.8

Which the latter is about VPS 2016 lineup + webhosting.

No need to swear to me. Are you 15 or something with anger management issues?

• @stefeman and then you just randomly throw in your own commentary about what may or may not happen based on your single one vps case extrapolated to what you "think" may happen if you have 5 VPS. Good imagination

@stefeman said:
    It's stated there because they reserve right to do so. By no means its guaranteed to happen. I have the cheapest SSD-VPS 1 and I do sometimes average 15-20 TB/m via it.

They just need to have that clause in, if someone buys 5 VPS's and starts to abuse the hell out of them by pushing 32.4 TB/m (100% port 24/7).

edited January 2017

@OhMyMy said:
    @stefeman and then you just randomly throw in your own commentary about what may or may not happen based on your single one vps case extrapolated to what you "think" may happen if you have 5 VPS. Good imagination

@stefeman said:

It's called a common sense which you can apply when you read something odd from the rules and include your own experiences in the equation. Finally you end up with the most plausible explanation which matches your current experiences of the case.

Yes i'm guessing. If you want to know for sure, ask from customer support. But I'm also guessing that the original poster wishes to know our opinions on this. Otherwise he would've just called OVH for a fast definite answer.

stefeman said: Special Conditions for Virtual Private Servers (VPS)

Alright, although it's not present in the latest global/FR Cloud ToS (which is what I and perhaps most people use). As for being 15, as you can notice I corrected my message even before you have replied.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@vfuse said:

@cam246 said:

@vfuse said:

Haha, I love this!

How does kafka consume that much IO

• @willie said:
    Fwiw I notice my VPS-SSD with them is capped at the port to 100mbps, even to other servers in the same OVH DC. I think that wasn't always done, so it's disappointing.

The VPS 2015-16 range has always been limited to 100mbps up and down and as far as I know, unmetered bandwith, which isn't bad at all tbh for what we're paying for.

I do not know if that TOS he posted still applies or if it's for the old VPS 2013-14 AMD opteron OpenVZ that OVH used to offer back in 2014 which is now 100% discontinued as far as I'm aware of. They migrated those customers all to the VPS SSD range.

• @ethancedrik said:

@willie said:
    Fwiw I notice my VPS-SSD with them is capped at the port to 100mbps, even to other servers in the same OVH DC. I think that wasn't always done, so it's disappointing.

The VPS 2015-16 range has always been limited to 100mbps up and down and as far as I know, unmetered bandwith, which isn't bad at all tbh for what we're paying for.

I do not know if that TOS he posted still applies or if it's for the old VPS 2013-14 AMD opteron OpenVZ that OVH used to offer back in 2014 which is now 100% discontinued as far as I'm aware of. They migrated those customers all to the VPS SSD range.

I've found this document, seems recent (30/07/2015):
    https://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsofservice/Special_Conditions_for_Website_Hosting_Services_on_a_VPS.pdf (Article 2: 2.8 & 2.9)
    added to main question

@pbgben said:

@vfuse said:

@cam246 said:

@vfuse said:

Haha, I love this!

Kafka can easily handle this much IO, it's just a lot of uncompressed data.

• @EtienneM said:
    Hi,

I'm pretty sure this 10TB/month bandwidth is no longer applied, I confirm this tomorrow.

Etienne

Hello,

I confirm that it's not applied.

Etienne

Thanked by 2rm_ cuhaos
  • @EtienneM said:

@EtienneM said:
    Hi,

Etienne

Hello,

I confirm that it's not applied.

Etienne

Could you post here the ticket reply? thanks :)

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited January 2017

vovler said: Could you post here the ticket reply? thanks :)

I don't think there will be a ticket reply as i believe @EtienneM work's at Ovh.

• Oh I didn't know OVH employees or at least one of them checked this forum, that's pretty awesome

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

It looks like he works at OVH on the Ceph clusters they have over there probably for their cloud services such as VPSs, etc.

• @pbgben said:

@vfuse said:

@cam246 said:

@vfuse said:

Haha, I love this!

I am wondering that same thing.

Wtf use case is that? I am genuinely curious.