Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acceptable wait time - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Acceptable wait time

13»

Comments

• Friend?

Friends don't let friends run beta, non-production versions of a control panel suite when they're not competent enough to self-manage the product.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: @onepound was kind enough to give me a few pointers and I was already able to set this up on another box for a friend :-)

So thank you very much onepound

Thank you, glad you were able to get it resolved.

@Rendus said: Friend?

Friends don't let friends run beta, non-production versions of a control panel suite when they're not competent enough to self-manage the product.

@Socially_Uncensored did not in the end run with a beta version of directadmin but was able to install all his required software versions whilst using the latest stable release and custombuild 2

• unusedunused Member
    edited February 2013

@Socially_Uncensored - if you have root access to the server, it isn't your providers job to support DA and at most would be "best effort"

As others have pointed out, you can easily upgrade it yourself using the client/license id already used to install DA. You can even email [email protected] with your licensed ip and get direct support (see how long they take to respond.)

If you need hand holding for simple things like upgrades, you're going to be better off with a fully managed service --or even better, some sort of reseller account where you have no system access and deal only with the web ui.

I don't intend for this to sound harsh, but others are beating around the bush. Simply put, your expectations are way off and need to be reset.

• edited February 2013

@unused Please read this thread over again before replying....

The version I was trying to obtain was only accessible by direct download via Direct Admin (for their customers only).

I do know how to install, update, upgrade, and repair a VPS or Dedicated Server. This includes using one without a control panel.

Inquiring my provider if they could obtain the needed copy is not out of scope for a "semi managed" or "fully managed" provider; giving that I was leasing the license through them and not directly from Direct Admin.

However this matter has since than been resolved. Thank you for your concern though.

• @Socially_Uncensored - you can get the clientID and LicenseID from an existing install via /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/setup.txt

If you need to change the o/s of the license it can only be done via the hosts directadmin.com portal/login.

In either case, your expectations are still way off base. A license/billing issue, especially one requesting beta software doesn't warrant a weekend or immediate response.

Frankly you should have requested it up front if you knew you had such requirements (instead of assuming they would provide a non standard version), and you could have avoided any delay.

• @unused said: If you need to change the o/s of the license it can only be done via the hosts directadmin.com portal/login.

^ This was the information in which I did not have. It is also the information I needed to obtain or if not provided, the information in which the host needed to process.

I had indeed made the request prior to ordering services. However the support department who installed the original version was not aware or perhaps had over looked my original inquire and request.

• Few hours is okay. Hopefully max 1 day.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: I had indeed made the request prior to ordering services. However the support department who installed the original version was not aware or perhaps had over looked my original inquire and request.

Shame on them, then- if they ask you for more details during the order process the host shouldn't ignore it.