Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo now offers free DDoS protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo now offers free DDoS protection

WickedWicked Member
edited January 2017 in Providers

Unfortunately, DDoS attacks are gradually becoming a more common occurrence on the Internet. Servers of Contabo customers are becoming the target of such attacks more often aswell. Without an effective DDoS protection, servers under attack would not be available on the Internet for a prolonged time.

In order to protect our customers from such attacks and the accompanying availability problems as well as possible, Contabo has developed an in-house DDoS protection. This DDoS protection is free of charge for all of our customers, it is activated automatically for all servers and webspace packages in the Contabo data centers.

https://contabo.com/?show=ddos_protection

Comments

• I mean... I always thought their services are bullshit. I still don't know what to think about them... Are they scam or not? Does anyone here actually use their service?

KVM | 300GB SSD | 12GB RAM | 4vCPU

for 9€/month. I can't belive it is possible.

• MrPsycho said: Are they scam or not? Does anyone here actually use their service?

I had IPs of them appearing all the time in ddos attack logs, so I guess they are good.

• I have used them in the past for some COD4 gameservers, they were horrible.. lots of downtime, really unstable/oversold nodes etc.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Gameservers without DDOS protection are normally attacked and endup down.

• How about they add the DDOS protection on outbound connections too, instead of just the inbound stuff?

• @teamacc said:
    How about they add the DDOS protection on outbound connections too, instead of just the inbound stuff?

Just use the capacity for outbound only, nobody hosts something serious with them anyways.

• Contabo - Masters of overselling and crappy support.

• I haven't used Contabo since 2013 but was planning on using them for a personal Plex server. 500 GB VPS for 6,99 EUR is cheap. Not worth it?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I have been using contabo for small personal projects for more than a year now I think on their SSD plans. They do limit the i/o, but a support ticket got that all sorted, and limits have been increased. They have only gone down once I think. Good for personal use.

/end_of_vouch

• Who cares if they offer DDoS protection? It's still Contabo...

• Do you all know about this?:)

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has a 1 Gbit/s uplink: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 10 days - whereas the traffic between 2:00 and 11:00 UTC+1 is not taken into account, it can be any value - the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s).

• @racksx said:
    Do you all know about this?:)

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has a 1 Gbit/s uplink: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 10 days - whereas the traffic between 2:00 and 11:00 UTC+1 is not taken into account, it can be any value - the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s).

I wonder if you can game this by throttling to 99 mbps after 9 days and taking a break for a day, then ramping it back up to Gbps.