Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH to open DCs in Germany & England
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH to open DCs in Germany & England

mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
edited January 2017 in General

[Translated]

The first data center in Germany will be located in Limburg, a few hundred kilometers from Frankfurt. The one in England will be established in London. The official opening of these data centers is planned for the spring of 2017. OVH does not want to stop there, the group already plans to develop two other data centers on German territory.

These two centers will cover nearly 4,000 m² and will include between 40,000 and 45,000 servers.

http://www.fredzone.org/ovh-va-ouvrir-des-datacenters-en-allemagne-et-en-angleterre-117

Comments

• I read about the London opening I also noticed Poland and Australia to https://www.ovh.co.uk/discover/

I'm not surprised they intend to expand and I'm waiting for UK location myself

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Being a European company, the new DCs in DE and UK were long overdue.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • layclayc Member
    edited January 2017

I'm waiting for the German location for ages but I wish they had chosen a location in central or east Germany.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • Nice. Cheap compute a millisecond away from Frankfurt.

Thanked by 3mailcheap GCat muratai
    edited January 2017

@layc said:
    I'm waiting for the German location for ages but I wish they had chosen a location in central or east Germany.

East Germany is too close to Strasbourg!

EDIT: West!

• Wow OVH is expanding at a huge pace. If they were a public traded company I'd buy some stock.

Thanked by 1Houston_Datum
  • layclayc Member
    edited January 2017

@mailcheap said:

@layc said:

That's why I would like a OVH data center in Leipzig or Dresden, Erfurt, Halle what ever. Limburg is quite close to Strasbourg.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@layc said:

@mailcheap said:

@layc said:

That's why I would like a OVH data center in Leipzig or Dresden, Erfurt, Halle what ever. Limburg is quite close to Strasbourg.

Yeah; Dresden would've been great for us in CZ.

Thanked by 1layc
  • Still waiting for their Oregon DC.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2017

vimalware said: Cheap compute a millisecond away from Frankfurt.

Their SBG DC which is open today is only 3ms from Frankfurt. I wonder what kind of tasks you perform that extra 2ms are a deal breaker. Forex trading? Aside from that, SBG is going to be the more preferable choice for years to come, as these new fringe DCs initially won't have any of the most attractive deals available (see how currently you can only order a single mediocre deal server in all of the opening Warsaw, Singapore, Australia DCs).

IMO it is silly to open DCs so close to each other. Same with the England one, Gravelines is just across the strait with 4ms or so from London.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Jack said:

rm_ said: IMO it is silly to open DCs so close to each other. Same with the England one, Gravelines is just across the strait with 4ms or so from London.

I assume they have their reasons otherwise its just a waste of money, certain companies refuse to host their data outside of the country they are in for example so it may increase their revenue due to that.

Those companies probably wouldn't host their data with a foreign company either!

Let's not forget many others have a similar setup eg vultr has 4 data centres in Europe pretty close together

• @msg7086 said:
    Still waiting for their Oregon DC.

With a whole mountain of $7 Kimsufies in it?

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited January 2017

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

That would be a good option in UK and Germany would come handy!

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

With Brexit - Having a UK location is prudent. Having a location in Germany with their strong economy is a huge counterweight to the locations in France and puts them in a strong bargaining position for continued subsidies from the French government - given a viable alternative would be ready very close by to offload customers to. So obviously some shrewd strategic moves based on political realities

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • They can open as many datacenters they want. Dosen't change the fact that their support is garbage.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited January 2017

@Wicked said:
    They can open as many datacenters they want. Dosen't change the fact that their support is garbage.

But you want cheap servers, don't you? Or you expect top support for the price they are offering?

*Hint: give them a call when you need fast support, works everytime.

• Hopefully their scale helps offer sustainable cheaper services in these locations as well. Given electricity cost is not as cheap in UK or Germany compared to France, it would interesting to see the cost of operations.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @nagug said:
    Hopefully their scale helps offer sustainable cheaper services in these locations as well. Given electricity cost is not as cheap in UK or Germany compared to France, it would interesting to see the cost of operations.

Given how wet and windy this country is I am amazed that we don't have cheap/free hydroelectric and wind generated leccy yet.

• @rm_ said:

vimalware said: Cheap compute a millisecond away from Frankfurt.

Their SBG DC which is open today is only 3ms from Frankfurt. I wonder what kind of tasks you perform that extra 2ms are a deal breaker. Forex

Wanting your data in a DC under german data protection laws, for example?

I'd really like to see their hosted Exchange on german soil...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

southy said: in a DC under german data protection laws

Owned and managed by a foreign company, even in the German DC your data is within reach of those foreign (French) authorities.

@rm_ said:

Owned and managed by a foreign company, even in the German DC your data is within reach of those foreign (French) authorities.

2017 resolution by 5eyes after being caught red handed spying on Germans: Sharing is caring! ;)

• @rm_ said:

Depends on the details of how the local company is set up (see e.g. Microsofts efforts to get set up independently from MS USA on EU soil to be able to reliantly shut US authorities out).
    But i fear looking onto how deeply integrated and managed OVH has their stuff, most likely you are correct.

Nevertheless, access by authorities is only one aspect to this, i would imagine.

• Looking forward to the London one! I've always found OVH to be the more reliable brand so having a server with them a little closer to home would be positive for me!

• I would totally switch my Poland server for a Germany one if the prices/speccs are the same. London has too intrusive laws/organizations for me to want host anything in there.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Wax_ said:
    Looking forward to the London one! I've always found OVH to be the more reliable brand so having a server with them a little closer to home would be positive for me!

What would change ? These 3-4 ms ? They already route via LINX anyway, contrary to say Online.net.

• Clouvider said: What would change ? These 3-4 ms ? They already route via LINX anyway, contrary to say Online.net.

A London Datacenter for Ovh would be petty pointless anyway, Ovh Gravelines is less than 4ms ping from LINX anyway not really worth opening a new datacenter to just save up-to 4ms ping from the Uk.

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.287/3.484/3.927/0.214 ms

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • London data center would provide political flexibility during brexit upheaval. Can also provide currency stability. additionally can offer (just like Germany) a counterweight to any political issues regarding getting continued subsidies from the French Government by providing another location for rapid server divestiture from France should political winds dictate. Hence even though close to France, provides many financial and political benefits.

• @rm_ said:

no, it's not. The datacenter is not the Embassy of France in Germany. The data center under the jurisdiction of the country where it is located.

• @desperand said:

@rm_ said:

no, it's not. The datacenter is not the Embassy of France in Germany. The data center under the jurisdiction of the country where it is located.

He was more talking about authorities issuing influence on the home OVH office in france to do whatever they want them to. Considering the past and how the various organizations worked I dont think its such a far fetched thing.

That said, its still something Id prefer generally. Unless they would target somebody specifically, data at home, in Germany, is more unlikely to end up in the GCHQ or NSA's hands this way.

Thanked by 1rm_