Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted NAS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted NAS

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone is using a hosted NAS service? Why do you use it over a local NAS, or even a VPS?

I'm aware of the offerings from Ikoula, NAS Hosting and Infomaniak.

Does anyone else offer this service, particularly in Europe?

Comments

• I know Reliablesite (New York) has storage servers. If they have it, there have to be other providers that have it too.. like OVH.

• What's the gain of NAS'es over storage VPS'es?

• @Arcanum said:
    I know Reliablesite (New York) has storage servers. If they have it, there have to be other providers that have it too.. like OVH.

I should have made my post clearer, specifically looking at hosted NAS, such as Synology.

• @JasperNL said:
    What's the gain of NAS'es over storage VPS'es?

Exactly! The Synology software looks to be very user friendly and well designed having had a look at their demo.

I particularly can't see the advantage of the Synology NAS's that have one disk either as no RAID available?

• HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

You can get one of these cheap Atom servers from OVH. They have big hard drives on them which you can use RAID1 or RAID0 on them. (I recommend RAID1)

• OVH offers a NAS service https://www.ovh.com/us/nas/

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@adamluk it is very easy to setup a sync between two synology, in this case having two HD in the distant synology is not that much important.

nb:We now sell a raid model.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

We use FreeNAS on our storage servers, but you can hack together an Xpenology if you wanted one.

We looked at doing a rack of QNAP Systems, but budget/demand was too restrictive.

• Anyone in the UK offering hosted NAS or willing to do to a deal on colo-ing a synology at lowend prices?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

France is close to UK

lg.ikoula.com if you want to ping