Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's ServerHub? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How's ServerHub?

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2016

@tenpera said:
    @definitelyliam Serverhub has IPV6 available at Frankfurt location?

They used to. Their ipv6 Routing in FRA is broken for at least a month now and they don't seem to put any effort into fixing it. That's the reason for your terrible lag btw

• @virvivir said:
    dose the serverhub allow torrenting, i mean i wanna download some lynda tutorial from rutracker or thepiratebay, not copy right movies or music, is this ok?

as far as copyright is concerned those are both pretty much the same thing, stealing intellectual property, and illegal..

• @brueggus said:

@tenpera said:
    @definitelyliam Serverhub has IPV6 available at Frankfurt location?

They used to. Their ipv6 Routing in FRA is broken for at least a month now and they don't seem to put any effort into fixing it. That's the reason for your terrible lag btw

Yeah, and I've open a ticket few days ago and they are acting like they've never heard before about this issue.

• I'd like to hear from them about this issue of closing a paid-for VPS. Do they ever post here?

edited December 2016

@putStrLn said:
    Yeah, and I've open a ticket few days ago and they are acting like they've never heard before about this issue.

Well...

I don't know how close the server guys and the network guys work together, but I'd expect them both to be aware of any network issues.

Thanked by 1putStrLn
  • I just left a feedback message on Serverhub's site. It didn't give a ticket number but basically I alerted them to this thread, and said I was particularly concerned about the claim that they deleted an active service where there hadn't been an actual payment problem, just the theoretical possibility of one. Let's see if they reply here.

• Huh. Didn't know that the IPv6 issue at Frankfurt was affecting everyone. Didn't really need to use it so I didn't bother making a ticket. I don't remember for sure but never had this at the first VM I had with them (I think it was Seattle?).

Anyway, good to know, and I hope it's resolved soon.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • willie said:

I just left a feedback message on Serverhub's site

Fwiw they never replied to this.

• Don't ever waste your time applying for them and "2nd interview" means they'll interview you but never give you the courtesy of contacting you back. No wonder they post for support on WHT every month or two.

• brueggus said: I don't know how close the server guys and the network guys work together, but I'd expect them both to be aware of any network issues.

"Customer Success Engineer" isn't necessarily either a server or network guy...

• doughmanes said: Don't ever waste your time applying for them and "2nd interview" means they'll interview you but never give you the courtesy of contacting you back. No wonder they post for support on WHT every month or two.

They hire people for $8/hour. Then they churn through them.

Thanked by 1doughmanes

jiggawattz said: brueggus said: I don't know how close the server guys and the network guys work together, but I'd expect them both to be aware of any network issues.

>

"Customer Success Engineer" isn't necessarily either a server or network guy...

Thank you for clarification. Could you elaborate on this?

• jiggawattz said: They hire people for $8/hour. Then they churn through them.

Figures. Lure you in the door with a "remote tech" bait and then try to have you travel regularly to their data centers as part of the job.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jiggawattz said:

doughmanes said: Don't ever waste your time applying for them and "2nd interview" means they'll interview you but never give you the courtesy of contacting you back. No wonder they post for support on WHT every month or two.

You sure? I can't imagine any company that owns their hardware/network paying $8/h. That's basically a slap in the face if so.

• No I don't know that for a fact - but I could see that being a prevailing rate for a remote "Customer Success Engineer" based anywhere

• RoSHRoSH Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@willie said:

willie said:

I just left a feedback message on Serverhub's site

Fwiw they never replied to this.

Thank you for your concerns Willie. Could you message me which feedback you are referring to? I checked and couldn't find anything regarding this in my inbox.

After reading the thread I assume you are talking about the client's allegations that his services were terminated. I did investigate the matter, but it seems that client's services were suspended (not terminated) after our Trust & Safety team noticed that the users account had a great deal of anomalies indicating fraud to our abuse team. For example just some of the issues were that the user had multiple account registered using different information, while utilizing a VPN to register for these accounts. I want to reiterate the fact that the account was suspended (no data was deleted) and not terminated. The vps is currently on one our nodes in suspension mode as we speak.

Edit: I also noticed Davy had some issues as well and will be reaching out to him.

@MikeA said:

@jiggawattz said:

You sure? I can't imagine any company that owns their hardware/network paying $8/h. That's basically a slap in the face if so.

I can assure you that isn't true. We post on WHT every month because you can never have enough talent. You never know who you might miss out on had you not kept your options open even when you're fully staffed.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited January 2017

RoSH said: I can assure you that isn't true. We post on WHT every month because you can never have enough talent. You never know who you might miss out on had you not kept your options open even when you're fully staffed.

Generally job postings to very public web forums generate truckloads of applications, a very high percentage of which are rubbish from unqualified applicants. Do you really find it worthwhile to sift through all this every month if you're fully staffed?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

RoSH said: Thank you for your concerns Willie. Could you message me which feedback you are referring to? I checked and couldn't find anything regarding this in my inbox.

Here is what I sent on 2016-12-29 shortly before my post in this thread on that date:

Hi, I just wanted to give you a heads up that there is a discussion

thread critical of Serverhub on LET. I found this comment particularly concerning:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1989993/#Comment_1989993

I don't have any services with LET so I don't have a real stake in the discussion, but I hope you can address the issues that people raise there. I've been interested in Serverhub's storage VPS for a while and the claim that you deleted an active service on the theoretical possibility that there could be a problem with the buyer's payment is a red flag. It's one thing to decline to activate a service if you're not sure of the buyer, but deleting an active one (especially one involving significant amounts of data storage) without an actual refused payment, considerable opportunity for the person to restore a suspended server, etc. is a non-starter.

Regards

Willie

"services with LET" was of course supposed to say "services with Serverhub".

Thanks for your response and I'll consider it.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

RoSH said: For example just some of the issues were that the user had multiple account registered using different information, while utilizing a VPN to register for these accounts.

The multiple accounts don't sound good, but why did you suspend him for using a vpn if the payment went through? I prefer using a vpn and it usually works, and I've never gotten a vps suspended for that. There have been some times when it didn't work and the host declined the purchase, but that's entirely different than suspending.

I agree with you that suspending is much better than erasing data, but it leaves the question: what does the person have to do to get his data back? You have his money, after all.

• @RoSH said:

@willie said:

I can assure you that isn't true. We post on WHT every month because you can never have enough talent. You never know who you might miss out on had you not kept your options open even when you're fully staffed.

Care to elaborate on the $8/h part?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Care to elaborate on the $8/h part?

The quoted post was from @MikeA (link), not from me.

I have no idea about Serverhub but I'm sure I've dealt with overseas tech support at other providers, who I'd guess get around that amount.

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited January 2017

@jiggawattz made up a random hourly rate without facts to satisfy his posting nothing to see here or question the company he has an issue with. In many places his mythical random number would be acceptable pay for a job. Even in rural usa

• @RoSH reached out to me regarding the fouled up handling of my VPS situation.

Without prompting from me, he apologized for the trouble, refunded my payment, and even added credit into my account!

Additionally, he informed me of policy changes to ensure a situation like mine would not happen in the future.

I applaud ServerHub for acknowledging their blunder and am willing to give them another chance with my patronage.

@willie, I would suggest you give ServerHub a try. Just make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket. Mine are spread out among 20 LET/LEB providers and 5 BigBoys providers. If I ever get the time, I should write reviews and post my 4 years of observium/ioping/vnstat for each of the providers.

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
  • @imchandave I'm glad that got fixed. Did you get your data back, or was it deleted? Were you the one who supposedly had multiple accounts? Yes I'm glad RoSH has responded here and this helps some. Before this thread I mostly thought of Serverhub as a potentially interesting resource for small to medium sized US storage VPS, and I guess I can go back to thinking of them that way. Most of my stuff is currently in EU and it's hard to beat the prices found over there for now.

• RoSHRoSH Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

RoSH said: For example just some of the issues were that the user had multiple account registered using different information, while utilizing a VPN to register for these accounts.

The multiple accounts don't sound good, but why did you suspend him for using a vpn if the payment went through? I prefer using a vpn and it usually works, and I've never gotten a vps suspended for that. There have been some times when it didn't work and the host declined the purchase, but that's entirely different than suspending.

I agree with you that suspending is much better than erasing data, but it leaves the question: what does the person have to do to get his data back? You have his money, after all.

After gathering further explanation from our T&S team, there seems to have been a bug with the anti-fraud system which has been fixed since. Due to the high volume amount of signups due to Black Friday and the holidays there were some issues. It allowed payments despite the user being on the VPN (should have blocked), and then when it was fixed it ran fraud checks again causing issues with some accounts. I apologize for any inconvenience that some clients faced from on our part and will reach out to those affected. If we have the data the user may request a copy of it, and as far as the money goes they were all refunded.

Thanked by 2SSDBlaze willie
  • The idea of the host just deleting user data weeks after signing up is very scary when the host claims to be production ready.

Plus none of the techs seem to be aware of IPV6 issues that's been going on for months is not confidence boosting either.

I'm glad I didn't switch to Serverhub, the deals were very tempting though.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • @willie, I was NOT the one using multiple accounts hidden behind a VPN connection.

I was one of the poor souls that did loose their data when their fraud check flagged me. My GEOIP was not the same as my registered address because I'm currently stationed outside of the country. I've been flagged by MaxMind many times because of this and the problem was quickly resolved by submitting a ticket to the provider. This was the first time I passed but they deleted my VPS instead of just suspending it. I understand it was a bug and ServerHub saids they changed their policy and, in the future, will suspend instead of deleting the VPS.

@PepeSilvia, I've learned my lesson about immediately deploying a VPS. I'll implement a 1 week cooling off period before putting my newly acquired VPS into operation.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

imchandave said:

@willie, I was NOT the one using multiple accounts hidden behind a VPN connection.

I see, two incidents got confused with each other, easy to do when it's unclear where the identifying info is. Not a big deal I guess.

I was one of the poor souls that did loose their data when their fraud check flagged me. ... ServerHub saids they changed their policy and, in the future, will suspend instead of deleting the VPS.

OK, thanks, I'm glad they've fixed that practice.

I'll implement a 1 week cooling off period before putting my newly acquired VPS into operation.

That's unfortunate, it should never be necessary to do that. Maybe it's prudent with a brand new provider where you want to make sure that their stuff at least works, but if one has been around for a while they should be past that stage, especially if you already have had active services with them (it doesn't sound like you did in this case though).

Anyway, it looks RoSH is getting everything straightened out, which is good.

Thanks for the update!

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited January 2017

willie said: The multiple accounts don't sound good, but why did you suspend him for using a vpn if the payment went through? I prefer using a vpn and it usually works, and I've never gotten a vps suspended for that. There have been some times when it didn't work and the host declined the purchase, but that's entirely different than suspending.

Ordering through a VPN is usually against the host's Terms of Service. Suspension and a fraud check seems very reasonable. It's not about the payment going through (the payment always goes through unless MaxMind catches it) but rather preventing fraudulent orders. (MaxMind isn't perfect.)

Provide a photo of an ID and/or CC usually (with some details redacted of course.) Or a "dummy order" from the local IP so the host can check the details. I believe I was fraud check'd by Serverhub and they asked for photo of ID and CC (if I recall correctly.)

• JohnSHJohnSH Member, Patron Provider

@PepeSilvia said:
    The idea of the host just deleting user data weeks after signing up is very scary when the host claims to be production ready.

Plus none of the techs seem to be aware of IPV6 issues that's been going on for months is not confidence boosting either.

I'm glad I didn't switch to Serverhub, the deals were very tempting though.

PepeSilvia

I wanted to chime in on a couple of these points, I can sssure you we certainly do not delete customer data after a sign up.

In regards to the IPv6 issues in Frankfurt, we pride oursleves in being a pioneer in the IPv6 transition.

I have personally taken part in many discussions and forums specifically in the ARIN community and taking part in many panels at HostingCon.

IPv6 adoption is something we have always taken pride in.

I do know one thing we have been seeing often is carrier peers having issues, and the carriers do not take priority like they do IPv4, so when issues across the internet arise, it does impact hosting providers and this is likely the case of the intermittent issue in Frankfurt. If you would like to PM me I would be more then happy to assist you in anyway I can with any of your additional concerns.

We are here to help!