Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Liquid sky... how do they do it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Liquid sky... how do they do it?

2»

Comments

• They use softlayer with different locations all around the world.

I am testing the 14,99 package which will give you 80 hours of playtime and 500GB space.

I tested Frankfurt and Amsterdam DC on a 50mbit connection from Germany. I am connected to my router via Ethernet cable because 2.4Ghz is overcrowded in my area and will deliver bad results.

Is this service usable? Not yet in my opinion. During peak time I recognize frequent stuttering and freezes which makes the playing experience very frustrating. Off peak you get better results because stuttering and freezing appear more rarely than in peak times.

Forget about Multiplayer FPS. The additional latency is recognizable and not nice for competitive gaming. However casual FPS players might be satisfied. With other non latency critical games I see no problems.

I tested this on my high performance gaming rig just out of curiosity.

While the idea is good to support many platforms from the economical view (more potential clients) I feel like it also a good idea to work on an own platform like a gaming box in additon with own hardware. This way they can fine tune software + hardware. Every device is different and they will have a problem to support them all. On my game rig alone I have the possibility to use Cuda, DXVA and software decoder.

• Can you use these Skycomputers for general purpose VPS stuff with CUDA and such, or is it streamlined such that you can only play games on it?

• @AdamM said:
    Can you use these Skycomputers for general purpose VPS stuff with CUDA and such, or is it streamlined such that you can only play games on it?

On the unlimited plan, it says it boots you after 30 mins of inactivity. I suppose they suspend the VM so if someone reverse engineers the activity ping, it should probably work.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:

@AdamM said:
    Can you use these Skycomputers for general purpose VPS stuff with CUDA and such, or is it streamlined such that you can only play games on it?

On the unlimited plan, it says it boots you after 30 mins of inactivity. I suppose they suspend the VM so if someone reverse engineers the activity ping, it should probably work.

Anti idle mouse tool, just randomly move around and click ;)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @deadbeef said:

@AdamM said:

Yes, if you have the other plans you can set the timeout to 1 hour manually.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:

@AdamM said:

I have seen post that they suspend you if they think you are using any tools to hack the limit

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • what about to use any kind of miner?

• @rickey318 said:

@deadbeef said:

@AdamM said:

I have seen post that they suspend you if they think you are using any tools to hack the limit

Even if you're just playing for very long amounts of time, like 8 hours, they'll forcefully shut down your VM.

I never really used it because latency is pretty bad and even older games run pretty bad compared to my Desktop or even Notebook.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have signed in for the trial but havent been contacted yet. Judging by the things you say, It would not work for my case anyway, I need 24/7 logged in char for shop and, considering i would afford it, they would boot me anyway, so, no point.

• This is a very interesting topic.

So in essence I could have a potato Laptop connecting to a VM provided by the provider and the client software, and be able to play games at least at 30FPS, at high textures?

Am i tripping or this is the summary?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hxxx said: Am i tripping or this is the summary?

That's my thinking, and question... could be an excellent service when refined.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • LiquidSky made a presentation in CES 2017 with some interesting changes.

There will be an ad supported plan which is totally free for 3 hours a day.

LiquidSky Pricing

They've done away with the unlimited plan. Also the credit system has been changed from 1 credit = 1 hour to 1 credit = 1 minute, their support said existing credits will be multiped by 60.

New configs:

Packages

All this will release on March, details about can be found on their blog.

There is an ongoing AMA with the CEO happening here - https://community.liquidsky.tv/t/ama-hi-im-the-ceo-of-liquidsky-ian-mcloughlin-ask-me-anything/5013

The CEO said existing "SkyComputers" will be deleted during transition as they're moving towards Windows 10/Windows Server 2016 and asked users to backup anything they have important.

• WSSWSS Member

Their CEO isn't as old as my socks.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    This is a very interesting topic.

So in essence I could have a potato Laptop connecting to a VM provided by the provider and the client software, and be able to play games at least at 30FPS, at high textures?

Am i tripping or this is the summary?

Yeah that's pretty much it. Except the software client is kind of crap. I was playing Tropico 5 for a good bit with no input lag or anything. A more ideal kind of game for any such scenario, of course, given a drop in FPS is almost unnoticeable. The client continually reported over 100fps. Then I got disconnected for inactivity in the middle of a game.

Buggy, but I'll pay for it for one reason: I want this so badly. I don't buy computers for gaming, but I'd love to play a PC game every now and then. But I know me, if I bought a gaming desktop, I'd spend $3000 on the computer AND buy the Vive. This is a better use of my impulse spending ;)

• "The cost of electricity alone is 30usd+ per month for a powerful gaming pc"

Assuming 0.20 usd/kWh and full-time equivalent usage (24/7) that would need a pc of average 200watts. That's some insane pc that can pull 200w continuously.

• WSSWSS Member

@teamacc said:
    "The cost of electricity alone is 30usd+ per month for a powerful gaming pc"

Assuming 0.20 usd/kWh and full-time equivalent usage (24/7) that would need a pc of average 200watts. That's some insane pc that can pull 200w continuously.

You have purchased a video card or owned an AMD Athlon powered machine at one point, right?

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    Their CEO isn't as old as my socks.

They are pretty young not older group of team. I did get to skype with the ceo and one of the lead developers doing the start of the project with alot of great things ahead.