Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Singapore super cheap MiniPC dedicated servers in a homelab Dynamic IP NAT network? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Singapore super cheap MiniPC dedicated servers in a homelab Dynamic IP NAT network?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MichaelBui said:
    @trewq If you are aware of the cost, then you should know the main reason. It's all about money.

About privacy concerns, if you go all the way down to the road, it's all about trust. I know nobody have tried and people have no ideas but all I can say now it I will guarantee the privacy so for people who going to try the servers, I will ask for their feedback soon (1 or few months)

So you have security on-site 24/7? I can't express to you enough how much of a bad idea this is.

• @trewq I'm not running a professional server & hosting business so there will be missing here and there for sure! I'm only targeting on people who need SG/Asia at low cost for development & small/medium businesses that don't have to pay much for what's not really needed.

So, to be clear I'm not here to compete any providers (and I certainly cannot) or running a real business. Because i'm setting up my home network of mini/micro servers, I just want to share this opportunity with others who's looking for a good local/Asia server at more affordable prices.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

@MichaelBui said:
    @trewq I'm not running a professional server & hosting business so there will be missing here and there for sure! I'm only targeting on people who need SG/Asia at low cost for development & small/medium businesses that don't have to pay much for what's not really needed.

So, to be clear I'm not here to compete any providers (and I certainly cannot) or running a real business. Because i'm setting up my home network of mini/micro servers, I just want to share this opportunity with others who's looking for a good local/Asia server at more affordable prices.

Just remember you can not post an offer here until you meet all the requirements.

• MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
    edited December 2016

@trewq: I'm not really making offers here as I'm not encouraging everybody to join. I'm just looking only some people who's looking for the same things with me to join and we can setup the network together. I'm risking my server costs but I'm happy if I can find some friends.

Also, I'm a web architecture, not a businessman :)

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@MichaelBui said:
    @trewq I'm not running a professional server & hosting business so there will be missing here and there for sure! I'm only targeting on people who need SG/Asia at low cost for development & small/medium businesses that don't have to pay much for what's not really needed.

So, to be clear I'm not here to compete any providers (and I certainly cannot) or running a real business. Because i'm setting up my home network of mini/micro servers, I just want to share this opportunity with others who's looking for a good local/Asia server at more affordable prices. Or doing a charity business model :) G o o g l e, indeed, give everyone their email in the first 5 years of their operation.

If you're asking for a people's money then you are running a business (no matter is the reason behind it). Otherwise just take my previous suggestion. Just give them a try for this 1 or 2 months for free.

@trewq just afraid that you will be the same as many of 'others' that had been running nowhere after receiving "enough money" although the main situation might be the same, that they were all there to help people here to get rid of "dirt expensive cost". So a "help" indeed might become a disaster in the future.

• Why not just get a Linode for $20/mo and get raid10 and 4GB RAM and a whole team of support and can cancel at anytime and is KVM?

• MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
    edited December 2016

Hmm, don't get me wrong @winnervps! I know you are running the business and I seem to be a threat in your market but no, you are serving serious businesses a lot of values the I will never provide: dedicate IP, auto backup services, cloud architecture,...

Originally I expected people here to help me how to build a network better rather than pointing the finger to me like that I'm scamming or joking.

Also, the payment is for sharing the cost (server costs, electric, my working affords,...) and for people who are seriously interested. Otherwise there will be hundreds or thousands of request for FREE servers and I can't afford that too risky cost. I can give my friends 1 or 2 months for free in return to their trust on me.

Last but not least, I'm fine if nobody interested but I feel I'm lucky because there still some people who trust me and give me a chance. I'm very thankful of them :)

edited December 2016

@MichaelBui, please don't take it personally :D. We are running a business (because we take other's people money and we declare it -i'm not going to offense you as this thread was meant for a suggestion, right) and there is nothing wrong in writing some wisdom in this thread.

I frequently fly to SG, btw. Where do you live? I usually stay near Outram or Chinatown. If you have the time, surely I'll let u know my next trip there, and we can discuss anything you'd like

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

MichaelBui said: I know you are running the business and I seem to be a threat in your market

LOL

Thanked by 1Janevski
    edited December 2016

@rm_ said:

MichaelBui said: I know you are running the business and I seem to be a threat in your market

LOL

That was the personal. Everyone here who is running their own business in SG market seems to be threats for this guys, after all ;) But I don't want to ruin his dreams after all. I've seen people in big dreams in forex industry. They will only learn after they experienced it (everyone can't teach or even give words to them). So, let's get back to his dream (that is personal too ;:))

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @winnervps I don't really care much with people like @rm_. I'm not running a business and I'm not doing this for profit. I'm not a threat (and I cannot be a threat - I want to repeat again). This is also not my dream as I have a good salary with a great company (you also know the name, I pretty sure!!!)

@winnervps About meeting, feel free to contact me when you have a trip to SG & we can have a coffee together. I've love to meet people cos I learnt a lot every single time :)

• I only deal with home-based dynamic IP hosts in Singapore for all of my Forex needs.

Thanked by 1iwaswrongonce
  • WSS said: I only deal with home-based dynamic IP hosts in Singapore for all of my Forex needs.

Why for Forex?

• @MichaelBui said:

WSS said: I only deal with home-based dynamic IP hosts in Singapore for all of my Forex needs.

Why for Forex?

That's how you get the bitches with the fake titties.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
    edited December 2016

@WSS said:
    I only deal with home-based dynamic IP hosts in Singapore for all of my Forex needs.
    @MichaelBui said:

WSS said: I only deal with home-based dynamic IP hosts in Singapore for all of my Forex needs.

Why for Forex?

He is doing a TB (trading balance) using different home IP ;) hahahahaha

• OMG... image

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I'm just wondering who your target customers are?

What benefit do they get from hosting with you? If I want to host a website (on port 80) with my own domain name, how would you be able to do that with a dynamic IP? If I just want to play around with a server, why should I host with you instead of plugging in a computer to my own ISP?

Since this is not for profit, what are you doing this for? Perhaps it would help if you're clear about what are you offering, who are you targeting at, and what are the needs of these people (and their capabilities).

• @hwt

• I'm targeting to people who need a server for development or running small/medium businesses that doesn't require much server features.
    • I will create a Nginx/HAProxy on the port 80 and anybody who want to have their website hosted on port 80 can tell me & I will add a record to forward port 80 on that domain/hostname to his server. Dynamic IP doesn't mean anything here as I already have a public hostname updated whenever IP is changed.
    • You can plug your own computer to your ISP but then you will need to deal with multiple things: open your web/services to public, electric cost,... I know most of people here can do that easily but still have many people who cannot.
    • Since I'm setting up my network, other people can help me share some cost & I will take some more afford to get a dedicated server for them with much lower price.

I hope that clear your concerns :)

1. If I'm running a small business, what would my needs be? Will you be setting up and handling my emails and website for me? If you are expecting me to know all these, honestly, I'd be running my own server instead of hosting it with you. If not, why should I pay that much when I can just get a web hosting at a cheaper price?

2. How would I set my DNS record to point to your public hostname? Using CNAME? CNAME is an alias, which means that at the end of the day, the hostname to the HAProxy will be your public hostname. Nginx/HAProxy will need the original hostname to work, so end of the day, you will still need a static IP. Personally, I doubt any reputable business will want to use a random DDNS. You may want to think harder before you try to make a business proposal.

3. Again, if the person/company can't take care of port forwarding, I doubt they will be able to run their own dedicated server.

4. What exactly does it mean by setting up your network? Registering for dynamic DNS and running the DDNS update client?

• @hwt

1. Different people have different needs & expectations. I can setup a home server network but I'm still looking for a VPS/Cloud server.
    2. You need to understand more with Nginx/HAProxy before comment this. At least you need to try actual situation before come to the conclusion.
    3. People don't have to take care of port forwarding. Only for default ports (80 & 443) need to do special setting that I'm willing to help.
    4. "network" is not simply a set of connections, IPs & ports. By saying "network" I mean (but not limited to) the servers as well.
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited December 2016

I gave you my price. I expect a homebox to be cheap.

I am already paying (and have a dozen of) SGD 23/USD 16 for 10TB bw on gbit, 160GB SSD raid10, 8 gb ram, 8 core in SGCS2

You have to realise that prepayment in itself -- from anybody -- is not going to happen when no one knows you, no company is backing you, no hardware exists already, and you are already significantly outcompeted price-wise.

• Why are you all hassling this guy? Nobody in this thread is a newbie, they know what's being discussed and have enough info to decide whether they want it. Dedicated hardware and vps are not the same thing. Some people might not care, others might. For those who do, you can only compare with other dedicated.

In my case I'd be happy to pay those kinds of prices to park a small box on someone's fiber connection. No dedicated ip needed, but I'd prefer to use my own hardware, and it would preferably be near me (a long way from SG). So I don't mind at all hearing about things like this even if the parameters don't fit.

• @willie said:
    Why are you all hassling this guy? Nobody in this thread is a newbie, they know what's being discussed and have enough info to decide whether they want it. Dedicated hardware and vps are not the same thing. Some people might not care, others might. For those who do, you can only compare with other dedicated.

Your THAT guy at parties, eh?

• Thanks @willie. As I commented before, different people have different needs. I will prove that this is not a scam, not even a joke. Time will tell.

I've got some payments already and I'm processing to get the things up quickly.

• @hzr I don't know how you can get that low price. If you are here to share good things, could you kindly let us know? That may save me and lots of people here a huge amount of money. Thanks in advance!

• @newconsultant all over again

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @deadbeef said:

@willie said:
    Why are you all hassling this guy? Nobody in this thread is a newbie, they know what's being discussed and have enough info to decide whether they want it. Dedicated hardware and vps are not the same thing. Some people might not care, others might. For those who do, you can only compare with other dedicated.

You're. There, fixed that for you.

Yeah, I'm very fun at parties too.

• @bugrakoc said:

@deadbeef said:

You're.

Touché.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @hzr said:
    I gave you my price. I expect a homebox to be cheap.

I am already paying (and have a dozen of) SGD 23/USD 16 for 10TB bw on gbit, 160GB SSD raid10, 8 gb ram, 8 core in SGCS2

You have to realise that prepayment in itself -- from anybody -- is not going to happen when no one knows you, no company is backing you, no hardware exists already, and you are already significantly outcompeted price-wise.

Who are you hosted with???

• Bobby_T said: Who are you hosted with???

A bunch of the 8GB Leaseweb SSD VPS.