Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Singapore super cheap MiniPC dedicated servers in a homelab Dynamic IP NAT network?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Singapore super cheap MiniPC dedicated servers in a homelab Dynamic IP NAT network?

MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
edited December 2016 in General

Hi,

I'm in Singapore and setting up homelab MiniPC servers under a Dynamic IP NAT network.
Since there are quite number of requests for Asia servers, I'm wondering if anybody is interested in a dedicated server in that network at very cheap price. E.g:

Low-End Servers:

• CPU: Intel Quad Core J1900
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600Ghz
  • HDD: 64GB SSD
  • Price: $19.95/mth (1yr) or $29.95 (6mths)

--- OR:

High-End Servers:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 7500u
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600Ghz
  • HDD: 256GB SSD
  • Price: $54.95/mth (1yr) or $74.95 (6mths)

I'm not sure if this is a good idea but I'm open for all feedbacks.

UPDATE #1:

• It's dynamic IP but I have static hostname pointed to my network, so don't worry so much.
  • Please keep in mind that this server should only be used for development or running small & medium businesses.
  • If someone has an issue with making full payment up-front, I'm still open for pricing and other payment schemes. Please do let me know in PM if you want to discuss more on this.
  • Also I will open this opportunity only until 31/12/2

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2016

Nobody is prepaying you for 6 months, let alone for a year. If you wanted to scam, take that as a hint that it's not gonna work. If you for some reason seriously believed someone would, you need to go see a doctor to have your head checked.

• i'd pay leaseweb less for more..

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

Hi @MichaelBui, referred to our personal message last time. Your best bet would be our Smart Server.
    We are willing to open a reseller schema for you (for this smart server type, we don't do actual reselling schema). That is most sustainable for business, indeed.

• edited December 2016

I hope you're kidding about providing servers run from a home environment.

Good luck with the ISPs in SG if you've got abusive users, haha.

(also, have fun with the throttled speeds when you saturate your upload port for a period of time)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2016

"Dynamic IP NAT network"

"dedicated"

• Most asians like SG servers cause it's the closest and cheapest they can get, with network specification you've described i'll be better build my own server in home, at least i can get a public IP with whole port opened, not the NAT one.

• What is the bandwidth ? Without a good bandwidth, this is just useless

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Consider carefully before you provide such services in your home network. You are responsible for any legal issue on your network. Do read your provider TOS carefully.

• tmwctmwc Member
    edited December 2016

The high-end server is pretty expensive.
    The monthly price comes out to a cool $659.40 in USD yearly.
    I could easily build 2-3 servers with rack on that money.

• @rm_ I'm not scamming and I'll never do that. Please read my posts here if you any of them smell like scam. This idea is not for making profit or running a business. I just want to help people that need a server in Singapore or Asia at a cheap prices compare to low-end servers they are offered on the market for $49.

@winnervps Your price is too high

@theroyalstudent, @ExpertVM Thanks for your precaution! I will surely considerit :)

@heanseng Bandwidth is unlimited on shared 1Gbps fibre network connection

@brian777, @tmwc If you are at home with a good network connection, I also recommend you to build it by your self. But please think of power consumption as well. Normal 1U server easily cost you $30-$40/mth for electric.

@all: It's dynamic IP but I have static hostname pointed to my network, so don't worry so much.

Please keep in mind that this server should only be used for development or running small & medium businesses.

If someone has an issue with making full payment up-front, I'm still open for pricing and other payment schemes. Please do let me know in PM if you want to discuss more on this.

Also I will open this opportunity only until 31/12/2016.

• @MichaelBui if you couldn't afford @winnervps from your prior singapore server requested thread. How can you afford everything for this non-profit, benevolent adventure out fo your home? Seems you have n money and thus need the prepayments to get started.

• MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
    edited December 2016

@OhMyMy: I didn't say I don't have enough money. But that I have more than enough money doesn't mean I will pay for it. I just feel that its price is too high compared to its specs and I would prefer myself to build it to save a lot of money from that and still have a good server to run for my development and my small business websites. Because of that same reason, I wanted to share this opportunity to other people.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

Affordable vs non-affordable (in terms of price) has been paradox debates that last forever between buyer and seller, IMO. That's why there is a demand and a supply (that what I learned and read from the book in terms of economic) and those has been a major construction factor for, what we called, a "price"

My suggestion for you @MichaelBui, is just giving them for a try for at least 2 or 3 months for free (that what the lowest price means after all, right? The price is too damn low!!!), after that they can conclude something for you. If you can afford that, then it's a business, and someone will come across this "probability". Somehow months or so ago, I read also people here was offering the same case as you in Japan (just forgot who is who).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_ said: you need to go see a doctor to have your head checked.

You're completely right, but lets not say that aloud shall we?

• Does is come with ipmi, how about os reinstalls? Whats the uptime policy?

• There was a LET regular in California who offered something like this from his apartment a while back. I don't know if anything ever got running, but it had its attractions as a poor person's colo.

For this SG thing maybe there should be a midrange option. I'm not a likely user any way though, since I don't care that much about Asia bandwidth, so mostly compare to other faraway dedicated server offers.

• @thharris Sorry there aren't any IPMI but I can help to reinstall OS once or twice per month for free. About uptime, last time I run my server it's about 99% so I think I can guarantee at 95% or more.

@willie I do have many options for mid-range servers as well. The servers above are just samples only.

• Can you post a result of freevps benchmark on your server?

• What if someone were to buy you an IPKVM switch lol for IPMI with their server, also does your ISP allow you to order additional IPs? Some providers like Comcast and Verizon allow you to over here if you're on a business plan for fees.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited December 2016

MichaelBui said: running small & medium businesses

I sincerely hope no one would go with this option for business, at least not for those serious businesses.

@ethancedrik, yes Singapore ISPs do provide static IPs (there's a limit) for business broadband, but the price is definitely higher than residential broadband. And if I remember correctly, it is currently not possible to get business broadband at residential address, and vice-versa.

• @ethancedrik You can get static IPs on Comcast and Centurylink on the residential side, both let you set rDNS and Centurylink will even SWIP them to you (Comcast may too). Problem is they are $2 an IPv4, and if you ever upgrade or downgrade on Centurylink they will change all of your IPs. I've considered ordering a block in the past on my gigabit symmetrical fiber so I could run a Tor Exit on a dedicated IPv4.

• MichaelBuiMichaelBui Member
    edited December 2016

@ethancedrik: as @eLohkCalb mentioned, my ISP does provide static IP but I found no benefit running on static IP when I have my router auto update the dynamic IP (which is very rare to be change as I have been monitoring) to my hostname, especially when they don't provide multiple IPs.

@all: These are options I can list out for now:

(red is low-end, green is high-end, lighter colours are more recommended)

Ref: http://imgur.com/RecJdIe

• Static ips are so over rated

• @thharris: totally agreed. I have been running my website from home servers (Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 and 1U rack HP ProLiant DL360) very smoothly without a need of a static IP at all :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MichaelBui said:
    @thharris: totally agreed. I have been running my website from home servers (Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 and 1U rack HP ProLiant DL360) very smoothly without a need of a static IP at all :)

Wow. Could you explain why you would anyone buy from you? You don't offer anything value added actually quite the opposite, you would be offering a service that does not have a market.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited December 2016

I'll take a 4/64 for 10-15 SGD paid monthly. PayPal.

Will post review after.

• @trewq You may not understand the Singapore market where local dedicated server are incredibly expensive.

@hzr The price is in USD for 12mth contract. If you want to pay monthly for that option, please pay $19.95 (~S$29). For payment details, you can PM me. Thanks!

Also please note that I will collect all order by end of 31/12. You don't have to make payment before that but the earlier the better for me to arrange as it may take 3-7 days to have your server online due to high requests.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MichaelBui said:
    @trewq You may not understand the Singapore market where local dedicated server are incredibly expensive.

I'm from Australia. I'm more than aware of the costs.

Why would someone want a server in your home? That presents major security risks.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • wjtwjt Member
    edited December 2016

You're offering a new service, unregistered company, and asking for yearly payment. While it's true SG servers are expensive, but that cost has a reason. If you think you can fill in the gap (providing cheaper servers that are more or equally powerful and with redundancy), then make it proper to gain trust before asking for any payment.

• @trewq If you are aware of the cost, then you should know the main reason. It's all about money.

About privacy concerns, if you go all the way down to the road, it's all about trust. I know nobody have tried and people have no ideas but all I can say now it I will guarantee the privacy so for people who going to try the servers, I will ask for their feedback soon (1 or few months)

@wjt I don't ask people to pay 12mth upfront if they don't want to. They still can pay monthly that will certainly be higher price but lower risk. I'm fine with both even in my side it's more risky if they quit in the middle because of the server costs. And I do think it's pretty fair for both sides.