Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The IPXcore KVM Beta Test Debut Introduction Commencement Arrival ($2 for 512mb for 30 days)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The IPXcore KVM Beta Test Debut Introduction Commencement Arrival ($2 for 512mb for 30 days)

DamianDamian Member
edited January 2013 in Offers

IPXcore is finally following through with my continued statement that we're going to offer KVM services. Soon™: The Time Is Now.

When we originally started offering OpenVZ a couple of years ago, to be honest, we weren't 100% sure what we were doing, and our systems were not set up in the most ideal manner. In an effort to avoid the same events with KVM, we're offering cheap KVM containers on a one-time, 30 day interval at a very low price, with the idea that we can get some people on there stress testing the hardware. The results of this test will dictate the price/resources of the actual plans.

The container will auto-terminate after 30 days. If you like the service and want to keep it, you will be able to continue with the container at the regular price. We should know within a week or two what kind of pricing we'll be able to offer.

So why isn't it free? To be honest: to keep out the riff-raff. Requiring a payment brings us a long way in keeping malicious users away. Additionally, anyone participating in the beta test will receive a recurring coupon for a heavy discount when the 'live' plans are available.

Some company info:
We've been up and running since May of 2011. We're running OpenVZ virtualization on our very own Dell, HP, and Supermicro -powered hardware.
Each server node has it's own 100mbit connection.
Past-30-days support ticket mean response time: 0 Day(s) 0 Hour(s) 19 Minute(s) and 51 Second(s)

Serverbear benchmark for a container on the node: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/01/27/FL8q66XKtsQ6tCE4

The offer:
KVMBetaTest
512mb RAM
20gb Disk Space
300gb transfer
1 IPv4
0 IPv6

$2.00 for 30 days: https://billingcp.us/cart.php?a=add&pid=69&carttpl=modern3&systpl=ipx3

I've pre-added some Linux and BSD distros. If you don't see your favorite in the list, please let us know what it is, and we'll add it. Non-Windows only, and we won't be doing custom ISOs; we'll download your favorite distro from the distro's website.

FYI: As outlined in the AUP/TOS ( http://ipxcore.com/auptos/ ), all new registrations MUST be made with verifiable postal address information. Repeating your province/state in the address fields will cause your account to be suspended til you update your account information. These plans are auto-verified with Maxmind; if you get auto-tagged for fraud, open a support ticket for resolution. All plans are also subject to manual verifications. Please note that mismatched payment/account information is grounds for suspension til manual verification is complete!

This plan does not qualify for our 3 day trial period.

Test IP: 198.144.190.10
Looking glass with test files: http://carbon.ipxcore.com/lg/

Thanked by 1flrichar

Comments

• What happens after 30 days?

• BK_BK_ Member

@seraphkz said: What happens after 30 days?

@Damian said: Additionally, anyone participating in the beta test will receive a recurring coupon for a heavy discount when the 'live' plans are available.

-

It'd be nice if you offered Windows :(

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited January 2013

Nevermind, didn't read the whole post

• BK_BK_ Member

@joodle said: Question, Do you also have Windows templates for this plan?

@Damian said: If you don't see your favorite in the list, please let us know what it is, and we'll add it. Non-Windows only, an...

• @BK_ yeah haha, just read that part... i'm tired, need to sleep :P

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2013

@seraphkz said: What happens after 30 days?

It will get auto-terminated. (edit) if you don't want to keep it. You will be able to retain your container at the regular price if you want to (/edit) By a week or two, we should have a good feel for what kind of density we can put on the node, and will have pricing. You will be able to apply your beta test payment as a credit towards a 'live' plan, in addition to the discount.

@BK_ said: It'd be nice if you offered Windows :(

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6763/your-interest-in-kvm-without-windows gave me the impression that Windows causes more load on a KVM node. We may revisit this in the future, depending on how this test goes, either offering Windows with the plan or for an additional 'extra resource usage' fee or something.

• Nice. Just ordered one.

Do you plan to make pre-installed templates available or are you just sticking to ISOs?

• BK_BK_ Member

@Damian Ah, I see. No worries. I'll keep an eye out :)

• @gubbyte said: Do you plan to make pre-installed templates available or are you just sticking to ISOs?

Sticking to ISOs for now. Know of a good source for templates?

• @Damian said: Sticking to ISOs for now. Know of a good source for templates?

http://tdn.solusvm.com/

• If you don't give people the option to keep the VPS after the 30 days period (even for a higher, known in advance price) i doubt there will be many takers that would want it for anything serious.
    I mean it takes some time and effort to setup whatever you want to use the VPS for, and then after 30 days - bam! all gone. Need to start over somewhere else.

• That thing freaks me out. It wants me to put in our license ID. They couldn't have come up with any other auth method? Or even put it on SSL?

I guess i'll have to bite the bullet.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2013

@rds100 said: f you don't give people the option to keep the VPS after the 30 days period (even for a higher, known in advance price) i doubt there will be many takers that would want it for anything serious.

I mean it takes some time and effort to setup whatever you want to use the VPS for, and then after 30 days - bam! all gone. Need to start over somewhere else.

Er, I meant to convey this, but did not do a good job of doing so. Yes, you will be able to keep your container at the regular price if you want to.

(edit) Updated the original post and the response to seraphkz to reflect this.

• @Damian said: That thing freaks me out. It wants me to put in our license ID. They couldn't have come up with any other auth method? Or even put it on SSL?

I guess i'll have to bite the bullet.

Dunno, first thing that came up when I googled "kvm templates".
    You could try http://stacklet.com/

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Stacklet is the main place I think. Purchase 1 months worth subscription and download everything you require.

• SolusVM doesn't support qcow2 templates I don't believe, haven't checked for a while as I'm happy with vendor issued ISO files.

• I got CentOS installed without any issue -- template would be nice, but not necessary.

• Would pick one up, but the connection to Europe still isn't the best...

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

How much after? Any long term benefit for early adaptors?

• @jcaleb said: How much after?

I'm aiming for $7 for 512mb, with it split orthogonal for increments there of.

@jcaleb said: Any long term benefit for early adaptors?

Yes:

@Damian said: Additionally, anyone participating in the beta test will receive a recurring coupon for a heavy discount when the 'live' plans are available.

"heavy discount" being somewhere between 30 and 50%. Also, your payment for the beta container would be applied as credit towards your first payment of 'live' plan.

• @Damian said: I'm aiming for $7 for 512mb, with it split orthogonal for increments there of.

Thats with discount already right? (30-50%)

• @jcaleb said: Thats with discount already right? (30-50%)

No, it'll be $7, minus the 30-50% discount, making the range $4.90 to $3.50.

• @Damian said: No, it'll be $7, minus the 30-50% discount, making the range $4.90 to $3.50.

Wow nice nice

• Aww, out of stock.

• Darn. Too late. :(

• aww i would of bought this if you allowed windows :( (I have my own license key)

• @lbft said: Aww, out of stock.

@Andri said: Darn. Too late. :(

More stock has been added :D

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@Damian Do you think you could put in a Lubuntu Desktop ISO? LXDE uses less RAM than Unity.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
    http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/precise/release/

• @gubbyte said: Do you think you could put in a Lubuntu Desktop ISO? LXDE uses less RAM than Unity.

I have added these and syncd them to the node; they should be available for your use now.