Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner DDoS Protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner DDoS Protection

Been using a Hetzner VPS since November and I'm very happy. Solid and fast, 100% uptime so far. But I'm wondering if anyone have any experience with their DDoS Protection?

Any issues, downtime, null route or warning?

Comments

• I've gotten several attacks on my Hetzner dedi and they've protected me 100% so far. You just get an email stating you're getting an attack with all the info and what IP it's on.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited December 2016

I will never recommend hetzner to noone. It took me 3 days to get an answer for a SECOND IP and on the end they rejectet it. I wanted an IP for a website to install a certificate a d they said the justification is not enough to get an IP. Fu*k them.

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited December 2016

@WHT said:
    I will never recommend hetzner to noone. It took me 3 days to get an answer for a SECOND IP and on the end they rejectet it. I wanted an IP for a website to install a certificate a d they said the justification is not enough to get an IP. Fu*k them.

I guest that you order ip on the late Friday. They just receive ip order on weekdays.

About the ip, with the limit of ipv4, why do you need new ip to install certificate? Just write for VM, and they will let you go

Hetzner is wonderful, quick response. I order ip on weekdays and I don't wait too long. I also have problems with their storage box. I tell them, do mtr, and finally they move my storage box to new ip, all under 4 hours or less.

About DDOS protection, I never get attack yet, so I don't know about it.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @akhfa said:

@WHT said:

I guest that you order ip on the late Friday. They just receive ip order on weekdays.

About the ip, with the limit of ipv4, why do you need new ip to install certificate? Just write for VM, and they will let you go

Hetzner is wonderful, quick response. I order ip on weekdays and I don't wait too long. I also have problems with their storage box. I tell them, do mtr, and finally they move my storage box to new ip, all under 4 hours or less.

About DDOS protection, I never get attack yet, so I don't know about it.

Last order was 3-4 years before.

• @WHT said:

They answered me in a few hours. I wish they had 24/7 support, but I live in the same timezone so I'm ok with that.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2016

@WHT said:

DC Support is 24/7 but things like Billing/IP's are just from Monday to Friday.

A IP for a SSL Cert? You still using WindowsXP or wat?

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

You get this email if you get DDoS attack

Dear Mr Joeri,

We have indications that your server has been attacked. Those responsible for this have been asked to solve the issue and to give us a statement on the cause of the attack.

This is an information email only and does not require any further action on your part.
    In some cases such an attack can place a considerable strain on network resources and, as a result, a segment of our network can be adversely affected. In such a case the IP address of the attacked server can be blocked as a precautionary measure. You will receive a separate notification with further information if this happens.

Important note:
    When replying to us, please leave the abuse ID [AbuseID:XXXXXX] unchanged in the subject line.
    Please note that we do not provide telephone support in our department.
    If you have any questions, please send them to us by responding to this email.

Kind regards

Network department

Hetzner Online GmbH
    Industriestr. 25
    91710 Gunzenhausen / Germany
    Tel: +49 9831 505-0
    Fax: +49 9831 505-3
    [email protected]
    www.hetzner.com

• @joeri said:

Dear Mr Joeri,

We have indications that your server has been attacked. Those responsible for this have been asked to solve the issue and to give us a statement on the cause of the attack.

This is an information email only and does not require any further action on your part.
    In some cases such an attack can place a considerable strain on network resources and, as a result, a segment of our network can be adversely affected. In such a case the IP address of the attacked server can be blocked as a precautionary measure. You will receive a separate notification with further information if this happens.

Important note:
    When replying to us, please leave the abuse ID [AbuseID:XXXXXX] unchanged in the subject line.

Kind regards

Network department

Hetzner Online GmbH
    Industriestr. 25
    [email protected]
    www.hetzner.com

Thanks for your input. When did you receive this mail?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2016

Mmmh. Tough thinking job... I guess he received the eMail when he got attacked...? No, wait. That is probably too obvious! ;)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

WHT said: a certificate a d they said the justification is not enough to get an IP.

Are you aware that you can install several SSL certificates on 1 IP address, therefore is no need second IP address for one website and no waste of IP addresses! The justification for use of IP address is invalid in my opinion.

• @WebProject said:

WHT said: a certificate a d they said the justification is not enough to get an IP.

Are you aware that you can install several SSL certificates on 1 IP address, therefore is no need second IP address for one website and no waste of IP addresses! The justification for use of IP address is invalid in my opinion.

Unless your clients still use xp with IE.

Thanked by 1joeri

@teamacc said:

@WebProject said:

true, if the WHT mentioned to Hetzner about such issue/users, I bet you that he will get the second IP address without any fuss.

• @teamacc said:

Don't trust anybody that still uses XP.

In all seriousness though, if those people were to experience a certificate error because of being on XP then I'd assume they're probably not very tech minded and will either ask someone else who knows the problem or just continue anyway.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Wicked said:

@joeri said:

Dear Mr Joeri,

Important note:

Kind regards

Network department

Hetzner Online GmbH
    Industriestr. 25
    [email protected]
    www.hetzner.com

Thanks for your input. When did you receive this mail?

Today

• @Amitz said:
    Mmmh. Tough thinking job... I guess he received the eMail when he got attacked...? No, wait. That is probably too obvious! ;)

Thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to which month/day, Sherlock.

• Wicked said: Thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to which month/day, Sherlock.

Not for me, Watson. Always ask idiot-proof. Don't leave me out! ;)

• @teamacc said:

@WebProject said:

Or the server is running windows server older than 2012 I think it was.

• WHT said: I will never recommend hetzner to noone. It took me 3 days to get an answer for a SECOND IP and on the end they rejectet it. I wanted an IP for a website to install a certificate a d they said the justification is not enough to get an IP. Fu*k them.

Um since SNI has become mainstream for any server after CentOS 5, which used to be the main reason it was a acceptable justification (as there were a lot of cPanel stuck on CentOS 5), a separate IP for an SSL certificate is not valid justification for an additional IP. If you were to try and use this as a justification for an IP for the company I work for, as well as many other hosts out there, you will likely get the same response. So really, this is not Hetzner's fault, it is your fault for failing to understand what is valid justification for an IP.

Also, if you don't purchase their upgraded support it will take a few days in some cases for updates. If you want faster support upgrade the support package in your account, that's why the offer the different options.

This is another example of someone paying peanuts and expecting a premium service. Hetzner provides a great product assuming you go into it with the correct expectations.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

edited December 2016

VPN said: Don't trust anybody that still uses XP.

anyone still use windows 3.1? I personally don't think anyone still using XP or windows 2k, need to have very special excuse to avoid upgrades as both OS very insecure and out of date by donkey years!

• hetzner doesn't accept 'ssl' as an justification since back in 2010 or something like that...

• Falzo said: hetzner doesn't accept 'ssl' as an justification since back in 2010 or something like that...

You'd be surprised what some Hetzner technicians accept as justification...

Anyway, DDoS protection - fine i guess? I'm fairly sure it kicked in a few times for me but they did not send me fancy emails, probably too small attack wise.

• hmm im using hetzner for one of my clients, he was under ddos of 40gb\s website was offline for 10 sec till protection kicked in and migrate the whole attack easliy, and they told me since they added their protection they never null route one server, and everyday they improving their ddos protection

• I tried to ddos my server on hetzner using free online booter but my server didn't seem to be affected. either hetzner ddos protection worked or the booter failed to do the job

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@didtav said:
    I tried to ddos my server on hetzner using free online booter but my server didn't seem to be affected. either hetzner ddos protection worked or the booter failed to do the job

Nothing better than admitting online you're DDoSing your provider. Welcome to Low End Hack Forums.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Hetzner has always been reasonably quick, sometimes amazingly quick, at answering my tickets about technical issues. On non-technical issues such as sales questions, they've often been slower but still no prob.

Their ddos protection is fairly new--it was announced a few months ago iirc. Before that, they had a reputation for nullrouting at the slightest attack, which made them unsuitable for public servers that attracted attacks. I guess they had to introduce ddos protection as attacks got worse and more widespread, and OVH deployed its VAC system.

• @Clouvider said:
    Nothing better than admitting online you're DDoSing your provider. Welcome to Low End Hack Forums.

2b2b2b2bATH0 packets all day e'ry day.

• @Advicerxyz said:
    hmm im using hetzner for one of my clients, he was under ddos of 40gb\s website was offline for 10 sec till protection kicked in and migrate the whole attack easliy, and they told me since they added their protection they never null route one server, and everyday they improving their ddos protection

How do you know it was 40Gbps? Does Hetzner provide statistics about the attack in their panel?

• @jesin said:

@Advicerxyz said:
    hmm im using hetzner for one of my clients, he was under ddos of 40gb\s website was offline for 10 sec till protection kicked in and migrate the whole attack easliy, and they told me since they added their protection they never null route one server, and everyday they improving their ddos protection

How do you know it was 40Gbps? Does Hetzner provide statistics about the attack in their panel?

They send you an email with all the details of the attack. Sadly nothing in the panel yet.

• Nice to see their DDoS Protection is working. But their control panel is garbage.

• FuslFusl Member
    edited December 2016

Always been very happy with Hetzner overall. Dead hard disks get replaced within minutes. No more than 10 minutes waiting time between the request and provision of LARA/KVM-over-IP access. DDoS protection has been good as well so far.

Thanked by 1Amitz