Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@tsanten said: This is bad for in general for vps business : a new incomer after proving some providers like this and finding problems will generalize that all the vps market its the same.

ChicagoVPS is not a provider "like this", they are not some newcomer who tries to oversell by 9000x and run with the money, they operate with the cheap 2GB RAM offer successfully since 2011, so hats off to them for actually making this work.

I know what you mean, but in this case your comment is totally misdirected and unjustified, especially as you

@tsanten said: never had ChicagoVps so i don't know how performance is

• @rm_

I expect overselling of resources. It's like this in all data services (cellular, data plans, internet access, hosting, etc.)

Problem is, unlike most of those, a VPS rental sits there consuming resources even when unused. Doubt folks paying but with unused containers leave them closed/shutdown. So they are consuming something, every customer.

At 64 plans we are talking about overselling a 64GB of RAM server by twice as much RAM.

That's working on assumption of 64GB RAM server. Bet they are running 32GB servers meaning more like a 4x RAM oversell.

Question for providers is what is reasonable oversell.

Is it a 10x oversell? Doubt it. My bet is on 3-5x ratio.

• @pubcrawler said: VPS rental sits there consuming resources even when unused.

But OVZ is not like that right? You could have sold 100GB Ram but the node could be only hitting 8GB?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Problem is, unlike most of those, a VPS rental sits there consuming resources even when unused.

You know zero of how OpenVZ works. The RAM that a customer does not use, is actually not used. Not consumed. The node does not need to hold a reserve of 2GB for you, if you have a 2GB plan and only use 100MB of RAM.

(Even on Xen/KVM the unused RAM can be returned to the host via balooning, but there it's much trickier, so you don't see a lot of cheap 2GB Xen/KVM offers around)

• @pubcrawler said: My bet is on 3-5x ratio.

We do way less than this. Maybe it's not the right way then :)

@pubcrawler said: That's working on assumption of 64GB RAM server. Bet they are running 32GB servers meaning more like a 4x RAM oversell.

According to your pricing, even this wouldn't be profitable after SolusVM + Support + Hardware + IP + Colo costs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

I don't think he meant all the memory was consumed, but yeah, every vps powered on does have a footprint. Doesn't have to equal it's allotment. Which is to say you can only oversell so far even if no one is using it.

• As per Serverbear:

UnixBench Bottom 37%
    Bandwidth Benchmark Bottom 48%
    HDD Bottom 1%
    RAM Bottom 15%

But oddly:
    I/O Benchmark Top 17%

I also see rather fast bandwidth test results that are way about 100Mbps. Although, I am unaware of CVPS offering gigabit VPS offers.

• Thanks @jarland. Exactly what I meant :)

• I'd love to buy 10 of them, and just blast Minecraft Using the full allocation with Java, just to be one of the only idiots who uses the 2GB Allocation.

• This graph on serverbear shows the extent of overselling in my opinion - http://serverbear.com/876-openvz-enterprise-chicagovps

If you look at prometeus for example, you will notice that the results don't vary by much. Chicagovps on the other hand, good one minute and terrible the next.

• @titanicsaled said: If you look at prometeus for example, you will notice that the results don't vary by much. Chicagovps on the other hand, good one minute and terrible the next.

uncle is conservative. he is more like underselling.

• @titanicsaled said: good one minute and terrible the next

This is why I cancelled my service with them. Thought Kevin's joining would stabilize the nodes, but it wasn't the case.

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited January 2013

I use my $30/year 2GB heavily and have done so without problems for months now.

Everyone is smart enough to know that it's obvious overselling, but it's still very useable. Just from browsing this forum, you can tell they're responsive enough to move your server to a different node if requested. It's just a juggling act to mix in the heavy users with the impulse buyers.

It's baffling to have so many people continually bringing up this plan. Show evidence, graphs, pictures of the awfulness...or just quietly enjoy the ridiculous price.

• @herbyscrub said: Everyone is smart enough to know that it's obvious overselling, but it's still very useable. Just from browsing this forum, you can tell they're responsive enough to move your server to a different node if requested. It's just a juggling act to mix in the heavy users with the impulse buyers.

I hear the Buffalo location is the best from the 3 choices

• I never had ChicagoVps like i said but i came in contact with people ho does have it and not speaking good about it. Overselling is good and necessary to take down the price but don't tell me you are putting your business on one of their servers.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2013

My BornIn.Asia project is hosted on Chicago VPS and so far, I would say at least they are very stable, @pubcrawler if you want you can sign up for a free account in BornIn.Asia, put up a webpage there and set up some kind of monitoring to see how the network is.

EDIT The VPS hosting Bornin.Asia is in their Buffalo location.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Chicago VPS are far from unusable and if that happens is transitory/can be dealt with after a ticket.
    Not rock solid, of course, but you cant really expect that.
    Dont host your production site there, but development, hobby, test, storage, all can be done and the price is right :)

• @Maounique said: storage

Who needs 2GB RAM on a storage VPS ;)?
    I also have one of those 2GB thingy's. Still need to find a good use for it. Like you said, can't use it in a production environment so that's out of the question.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@eastonch said: I'd love to buy 10 of them, and just blast Minecraft Using the full allocation with Java, just to be one of the only idiots who uses the 2GB Allocation.

We have people that do that, I'm not afraid. What everyone doesn't understand is that we made this sustainable. We are one of the few providers that allow MC.

We made a niche for our self and are able to provide it with fantastic results. Thank you @PubCrawler for reviving the offer :) I see lots of sales coming in already.

I just wish everyone would stop thinking this is such a big surprise. We have been doing this for years and know what we are doing providing a great product, yet the speculation still continues saying "its unsustainable".

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@titanicsaled said: If you look at prometeus for example, you will notice that the results don't vary by much. Chicagovps on the other hand, good one minute and terrible the next.

All you have to do is open a ticket and we fix it, like any other provider. If you dont complain we are unaware and is not fair to us. Please give us a chance to fix it next time, there will always be abusers, more so here because of the great prices we offer but will take care of it fast.

@CVPS_Chris said: If you dont complain we are unaware

You gotta stop saying that, it's going to be read as "we don't watch our nodes" :P

• Considering the amount of servers they have I'm not surprised, unless they have some scripts to take care of this for them they are unaware of any server problems, ie: someone pounding the drives, or CPU abuse.

@jarland said: You gotta stop saying that, it's going to be read as "we don't watch our nodes" :P

• For once im with Chris here, abusers can often slip under the radar unless you have resource monitoring for each VPS node (Which could potentially void your SolusVM support in theory).

It takes moments to open a support ticket.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited January 2013

I'm very sure @Constantinos would have been very interested to see how you do it, @CVPS_Chris :)

• @GetKVM_Ash said: busers can often slip under the radar unless you have resource monitoring for each VPS node

Indeed, and it's also quite difficult for us to monitor things like ioping and 'the dd test' without causing load ourselves. We (and everyone else...) rely on client reports for when we're not there to check. Most hosts are glad to receive notices that their service is sucking; it means their service is sucking for everyone else on the node too. The only provider I can think of who will tell you you're wrong is Urpad.

@GetKVM_Ash said: unless you have resource monitoring for each VPS node

I don't see why not to, and I'm not saying this in a bragging way, I thought everyone did. I'll get text alerts in the middle of the night if the load reaches a number that bothers me.

• I have 2 vpss with them
    Working good so far

• @DalComp said: This is why I cancelled my service with them. Thought Kevin's joining would stabilize the nodes, but it wasn't the case.

This

@Zeno said: Working good so far

And this

So, good luck...

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Chris The latest version of Java doesn't use all the RAM right away (I believe this is new for 1.6), so at some point this shouldn't be an issue.

This discussion has been closed.