Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS has lost their mind(s)

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited January 2013 in General

Was scouring through my email heap, the junk mail looking for something.

Found ChicagoVPS advertisements in there. Two or so months since I flocked like a smart bird elsewhere.

So, I wondered what they were selling. This is just unbelievable.... Put down your beverage and swallow that food, before you laugh and choke.

The infamous 2GB plan that recently went from $7.95 to $5.xx now they are offering at $3.33 a month? What in the world? The same plan they supposedly sell for $24.95 a month to folks not in the know.

Yep, I checked the plan and the code still works...

What do the providers out there think :) ?

Enterprise VPS Plan:
2048MB (2GB) RAM
50GB RAID-10 Protected Diskspace
2000GB Monthly Bandwidth
1x IPv4 Address
Instant Setup
SolusVM/OpenVZ
3 Location Choices: Chicago, Buffalo, or Los Angeles!

ONLY $3.33 per month! ($40/Year).

Important: On the order form, select the 12-Month billing option, and when checking out use promotion code WELCOMEBACK to claim your heavily discounted price of just $40/YEAR! Price will never increase, guaranteed!

Comments

• IIRC the was a typo, the real price was 40$/6months

• I would get it if it was monthly. I dislike yearly payments :(

• Everyone (providers) are free to sell at whatever price they want. And everyone (customers) are free to be as stupid as they want and buy any crap they see at any unrealistic price :)

• Nopers... Just tried it and I am certain it said 12 months = $40 after applying the promo code.

• Btw what happened with NordicVPS? Anyone heard anything about them lately?

• @pubcrawler said: Nopers... Just tried it and I am certain it said 12 months = $40 after applying the promo code.

Tried and saw $40/year too.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

doublepost

• Go here:
    http://chicagovps.net/openvz.html

Click on Enterprise plan at any location.

Select 12 month term. Fill out domain related info.

Go to checkout and input the promo code.

Total now = $40 for the year.

Says this in the promo area:

WELCOMEBACK - $214.49 USD Recurring Discount

• It really does work...

• @pubcrawler - you know this thread actually means helping ChicagoVPS to advertise. Just watch the number of users that will pick up the offer.

Wish someone would help us advertise :(

• @concerto49 said: Wish someone would help us advertise :(

do 2GB at $1 then :)

• Hey @concerto49, do I think folks will buy??? Maybe.

Buyer beware is all I can say.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

@pubcrawler said: Hey @concerto49, do I think folks will buy??? Maybe.

You don't think so, but from past experience I've seen these threads result in more sales for the provider. Negative publicity is also publicity.

@gubbyte said: do 2GB at $1 then :)

I've got ChicagoVPS 2GB in Buffalo and Chicago that I no longer need and can offer a transfer at less than $3/month for the number of months remaining.

How does that sound?

• @pubcrawler, I believe there are readers buying things solely based on prices.

• I don't think the thrifty annual buyers are throwing out 2 $20's so easily.

Now if ChicagoVPS would lower the price to $15, well then...

• fanfan Veteran

Btw what happened with NordicVPS? Anyone heard anything about them lately?

Vanished I think.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@concerto49 said: you know this thread actually means helping ChicagoVPS to advertise. Just watch the number of users that will pick up the offer.

The offer was actually meant to be limited only for customers who had a past service that they cancelled (hence the coupon code name), so by posting it publicly you are actually throwing a monkey-wrench into their machine.

• @pubcrawler said: The infamous 2GB plan that recently went from $7.95 to $5.xx now they are offering at $3.33 a month? What in the world? The same plan they supposedly sell for $24.95 a month to folks not in the know.

It was listed on LEB at $30/year at one stage.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

@lbft said: It was listed on LEB at $30/year at one stage.

Still active. 2GBYR

• @rm_ said: so by posting it publicly you are actually throwing a monkey-wrench into their machine.

I don't think they would mind.

• $30/year? That's $2.50 a month.

Yeah that's real sustainable.

Yep, promo code 2GBYR still works also.

Total Recurring: $30.00 USD Annually

• @pubcrawler said: Yeah that's real sustainable.

Maybe most of the customers of that promo just purchase for the kicks of it, but probably just consuming 100mb and sits idle most of the time.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Apparently it doesn't matter what you sell them for. If you sell them cheap enough, people don't even buy them to use them. Looking at you, node5, with your 12gb out of 64gb usage....

• @pubcrawler said: $30/year? That's $2.50 a month.
    Yeah that's real sustainable.

I'm know I'm being stupid but that price just makes me want one.

• @Nekki

That's the idea. :)

• just keep in mind, there's no guarantee your data will exist tomorrow.

as long as you're using it for transient purposes, no problem!

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited January 2013

They got a promo, $1 for a 2gb vps for the first month. Obvious I bought one but not going to renew it.

• People piss away $30 just because? Ahh probably far less than say at a $15 price point.

Monthly wasted plans are a different monster. I bet there are tons of folks on monthly plans who pay and sit idle. I have some of those :) They are for live spares, as needed.

Now some folks invest a good amount of time or money in getting whatever working on their VPS. So they pay just to have it there when/if needed.

The economics of the 2GB VPS @ $2.50 a month are silly. Even if we have a 64GB RAM server we are speaking of 32 of these plans or 64 if double selling the space.

32 x $2.50 = $80 /month income
    64 x $2.50 = $160 /month income

Really have to either:
    1. Sell many plans at a higher price point
    2. Overload nodes.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@pubcrawler
    "Your stupid"(tm) if you divide the world into black and white of "zero overselling" and "overload nodes" while talking about 2GB of RAM OpenVZ customers.

• This is bad for in general for vps business : a new incomer after proving some providers like this and finding problems will generalize that all the vps market its the same.
    I never had ChicagoVps so i don't know how performance is and hope that most of the people overestimate their needs and all live happily on the server.

This discussion has been closed.