Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newb- Looking for Best VPS Option for X-Cart Ecommerce site.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Newb- Looking for Best VPS Option for X-Cart Ecommerce site.

ljsealsljseals Member
edited December 2016 in Help

Thanks ordered a vps from OVH as I was cancelled from Stablehost because they said that I had too many backups on their system. Which is a blessing as OVH has some very inexpensive VPS servers. I asked Stablehost to upgrade but they cancelled me without warning as they were upset when I stated that I needed the backups for development of my website. Accordingly, 10 gigs on an unlimited server should not get one kicked off looking for new hosting.

Now, I was going to go with Centmod but I looked and there was a guy on Fiver who said that he has an unbelievable setup, I do not doubt that his mod is fast; however, I now have wordpress on my server instead of X-Cart. So in an attempt to be fair he maybe had too much on his plate; therefore, I was looking for some free advice.

I need a fast server in order to serve up X-Cart. They recommend Ubuntu, Nginx, and Opcache. I believe a web server with Nginx with PHP-FPM via FastCGI (Opcache enabled), Percona Server, OS: CentOS would make it fly; however, I really do not know what mod to use.

The guy on fiver put some type of software on it but I do not know what it is as he says it is custom. He seems nice and all but as I stated it has wordpress on it. I need something newb friendly that I can manged through the help of the Lord. I have the lowest SSD VPS on OVH as he recommended it.

I was looking to go with Centmod but he stated that it would be better to use VPSSIM, if there are any webhost or anyone who knows what I need to build a very fast X-Cart site I am willing to paypal them the cost of their time. God bless you!

Comments

• lustixlustix Member
    edited December 2016

I switched from vpssim to cmm and I like it much more. It seems to be compilcated but trust me it is much better. I have 0 issues right now with cmm. vpssim was running out of memory, terminating processes etc.

centminmod, enable nginx pagespeed, opcache, wp caching plugin (wp rocket/ cache enabler/ w3/ ... etc)

I can do it for you for a lil fee if you want and you can watch me over teamviewer so you can do it yourself next time.

Thanked by 2ljseals eva2000
  • ljsealsljseals Member
    edited December 2016

I guess the issue is what would be the best... Looking on their centminmod forums it seems that some are having issues with it on an eCommerce platform. It seems simple enough to install.

• Also I was looking fora control panel if possible...

• I dont understand you, none of the both have a cp. .. on vpssim and cmm you dont have a gui.. just console stuff.

if you want a gui, go with sth else.

• Okay, how much would you charge me to set it up?

• I'm bored.

I'll set it up for free.

Thanked by 2ljseals lustix
  • Thanks Alinux Ninja... Send me your e-mail and I will send you the root access...God bless you!

• The post is still open if anyone is willing to make a few bucks. God bless you!

• I went with Centmin mod... Got it installed pretty easily,, Glory Be to God.... Next need to install X-cart

• X-Cart has its own VPS hosting. It has a discount now, too
    https://www.x-cart.com/hosting.html

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • Hi there,
    I'm X-Cart employee and Google alert has just notified me about this question.

Actually, here in X-Cart we do offer our very own fully managed ( read "newb-friendly"!) VPS hosting with daily data backups, control panel and PCI complaint servers, and if you decide to give it a try we’ll transfer your existing store to our servers or make a fresh installation there if your store in not in production yet. You can check the performance for a couple days before making the decision.

Share your X-Cart account with me ( the email address your X-Cart license is registered for) so I could ask our engineers to contact you with an offer you will most likely be interested in =)

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • Ah, good old Stablehost. I never had a kind reply from them. They didn't even love me for idling their premium services for 3 years. Can't imagine what kind of customer they actually are pleased with.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @xen_em said:
    Hi there,
    I'm X-Cart employee and Google alert has just notified me about this question.

Actually, here in X-Cart we do offer our very own fully managed ( read "newb-friendly"!) VPS hosting with daily data backups, control panel and PCI complaint servers, and if you decide to give it a try we’ll transfer your existing store to our servers or make a fresh installation there if your store in not in production yet. You can check the performance for a couple days before making the decision.

Share your X-Cart account with me ( the email address your X-Cart license is registered for) so I could ask our engineers to contact you with an offer you will most likely be interested in =)

Thanks X-Cart but I have already bought the server... I like to learn as I go as well so I do not have to bother with shared hosting. God bless you!

• @Aksuyek said:
    X-Cart has its own VPS hosting. It has a discount now, too

Yeah, I was about to go with it but it is only for one month then the price doubles....God bless you!

• It has come to my attention that sometimes people use malicious in order to do ddos attacks on others. Box is now showing that people are trying to login unsuccessfully. Hundreds of times within short time frame.

I pray if you are honest and good in IT hit me up for a few bucks on this deal. Installing X-cart to Ngix server. God bless you!

• ljseals said: Box is now showing that people are trying to login unsuccessfully. Hundreds of times within short time frame.

Get fail2ban installed and configured, it'll block a lot of the login attempts.

You could also disable SSH passwords and go with keys only for more security.

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2016

lustix said: I switched from vpssim to cmm and I like it much more. It seems to be compilcated but trust me it is much better. I have 0 issues right now with cmm. vpssim was running out of memory, terminating processes etc.

Centmin Mod LEMP stack installer is optimised for speed and performance and is continually tested as I eat my own dog food and run 120+ servers using Centmin Mod myself. I have a lot of motivation to keep it up to date, secure and performing the best it can ^_^

FYI, Centmin Mod installer auto detects server resources like cpu threads, memory, disk i/o performance auto optimises and tunes nginx, php-fpm, csf firewall and mariadb mysql server based on those detected server resources as well :)

ljseals said: Box is now showing that people are trying to login unsuccessfully. Hundreds of times within short time frame.

You mean failed sshd login attempts ? Centmin Mod auto installs and configures CSF Firewall and LFD log in failure daemon auto blocks all failed log in attempts https://centminmod.com/csf_firewall.html :)

One of the best ways to protect the server from inbound attack against network daemons is to monitor their authentication logs. Invalid login attempts which happen in a short space of time from the same source can often mean someone is attempting to brute-force their way into the server, usually by guessing usernames and passwords and therefore generating authentication and login failures.

lfd can monitor the most commonly abused protocols, SSHD, POP3, IMAP, FTP and HTTP password protection. Unlike other applications, lfd is a daemon process that monitors logs continuously and so can react within seconds of detecting such attempts. It also monitors across protocols, so if attempts are made on different protocols in a short space of time, all those attempts will be counted against the threshold.

Once the number of failed login attempts is reached, lfd immediately forks a sub-process and uses csf to block the offending IP address from both in and outgoing connections. Stopping the attack in its tracks in a quick and timely manner. Other applications that use cron job timings to run usually completely miss brute force attacks as they run usually every 5 minutes or by which time the attack could be over, or simply biding its time. In the meantime lfd will have block the offenders IP address.

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • @Aksuyek said:
    X-Cart has its own VPS hosting. It has a discount now, too

Decent prices for being managed with SSL.

• Thanks to all who helped with ideas and insights. I went with the Centmin Mod. It is super fast and reliable. The coder Eva2000 is very proficient and knowledgeable about highly optimized servers. I suggest everyone check out centmin.sh /centminmod.com. As, a newb it was very easy to install after a bug was fixed and it is pretty much optimized out of the box. It really is an excellent optimization package as I was able to obtain very low TTFB number without touching the settings.

This is an enterprise level module and Eva2000 runs it as such. Really, he could sell it at a very high price as it accomplishes server optimization, upgrades, and security in a lemp package that installs with a one liner.

Also security headers and other optimizations are built in. Was able to get A or A+ ratings on securityheader.io and ssllabs without deep and formal knowledge of coding or Linux.

The code also has Xend Opcache and Google page speed that optimizes your site on your server. It is like cloudflare for your setup. Check it out and if you enjoy the mod like I do drop him a few dollars at his donate page. https://www.paypal.me/georgeliu2k God bless you!