Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

16+ TB Storage Server Needed Looking For Provider Suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

16+ TB Storage Server Needed Looking For Provider Suggestions

I'm looking for a dedicated server with 16+ TB of storage. The two providers I'm looking at right now are ReliableSite (I currently have a server with them) and OVH but I'm hoping there's a few more that I'm not aware of. My main issue with OVH's storage servers is that the CPUs are kind of slow compared to their regular dedicated servers.

Also, I'm looking for something either in the US or Canada. Budget is anywhere from 150-200/month. I would really appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Comments

• Cpu, bw(port speed) , location?

• How about the following in Dallas?

E3-1270 v2

16GB RAM

4x WD Enterprise 4TB SATA HD's

Can do this for $169 per month.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • not us, france,

i do not reccomend either ovh or online.net anyway their deal is sick ;)

Dedibox PST24 - online.net

The Dedibox PST24 provides extremely good performances for databases and storage intensive applications. Dedibox PST24 is the right server to discover our new high-performance storage servers.

CPU: 12 Cores / 24 Threads (2x Intel Xeon Processor E5-2620 v3)  
    RAM: 128GB DDR4 ECC  
    Storage: 24TB (4x6TB SATA with hardware RAID H730P)  
    Bandwidth: 500Mbit/s unmetered  
    RPN: Up to 10Gbit/s  
    Price: €149.99 /month  
    No setup fee  

Thanked by 2Dormeo VPN
  • i can do a sexy config located in Romania if you are ok with the location. Please Pm

• SprkFadeSprkFade Member
    edited December 2016

@inthecloudblog said:
    Cpu, bw(port speed) , location?

CPU - Anything around or over 8K Passmark score.

BW - 1 Gbps (10 TB or more/month)

Location - Anywhere in the US or Canada is fine.

• chxchx Member
    edited December 2016

Nevermind. I missed the US / Canada requirement, sorry.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited December 2016

This should meet your needs and budget.

SpeedyKVM
    V-DEDI 4
    8 (E3-1230)
    31GB ECC
    16TB HDD
    Raid 5 Redundant (LSI Card)
    100TB on 1gbps Dedicated Port
    1x to A Pwr
    Dallas, TX
    $129/mo Sign Up
    https://speedykvm.com/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=17

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

SpeedyKVM_Ryan said:

SpeedyKVM V-DEDI 4

31GB ECC
    16TB HDD
    $129/mo Sign Up

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Why 31GB ram, do you mean it's running a VM rather than bare metal? Is it a regular offering? I'm not in the market for anything like that yet, but it's good to know about for future reference.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@willie said:

SpeedyKVM_Ryan said:

SpeedyKVM V-DEDI 4

31GB ECC
    16TB HDD
    $129/mo Sign Up

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Why 31GB ram, do you mean it's running a VM rather than bare metal? Is it a regular offering? I'm not in the market for anything like that yet, but it's good to know about for future reference.

Yes, All of our V-Dedicated run VM instead of Bare Metal. This is a regular offering.

• xrz said: Dedibox PST24 - online.net

In EU, there is also the Hetzner SX61 at 69 euro/month with less cpu/ram (i7-3770/32gb), software raid, and a 69 euro setup fee but also 4x6tb disks ("enterprise-class" whatever that means). Hardware raid is 12.61 euro extra. The PST24 still has its attractions.

In US/Canada, SpeedyKVM above is the best I know of if you need that much storage in a single box.

• https://www.gorillaservers.com/dedicated_storage.php

179.00 USD

Dual Xeon L5630 File Server
    Processor
    Dual Xeon L5630
    8 Cores (16 HT Cores)
    RAM
    96 GB
    DDR3
    Storage
    20 x 2TB HDD
    HW RAID-6
    Bandwidth
    1Gbps Port
    30TB Monthly
    IP Addresses
    5 Usable IPs

• IPMI Enabled
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited December 2016

@SpeedyKVM_Ryan said:
    This should meet your needs and budget.

I just had this chat with a support agent... Could you please clarify what the actual answer is? Your guy didn't sound very sure about anything really...

Me: i just wanted to check what the actual hardware configuration for the v-dedi4 drives are

Jimmy: 4 4TB hard drives in raid 5

Me: okay so I was told that was 16TB usable
    does that mean it's not 16TB usable?
    4x4tb would only give me 12tb usable
    maybe 5x 4tb?

Jimmy: no.
    It's a 1u chassis.

Me: oh
    so the previous chat agent was misinformed then?

Jimmy: I don't know what you were told.

Me: "I was told that was 16TB usable"

Jimmy: I see that.

Me: "so the previous chat agent was misinformed then?"

Jimmy: I don't know which part is incorrect. I will have to discuss it with the other agent.

Me: I'm referring to the fact that I was told there is 16TB usable. Is that incorrect?

Jimmy: I would assume so.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Jonchun said:

Me: okay so I was told that was 16TB usable does that mean it's not 16TB usable? 4x4tb would only give me 12tb usable maybe 5x 4tb?

According to the product page the box has 4x 6tb drives, so it sounds like a raid-5 setup with 3 data drives and 1 parity. In disk manufacturer jargon 1tb=1e12 bytes which is 0.91 TiB (what computer people call terabytes = 2**40 bytes = about 1.1e12 bytes). So that's 16.37 TiB of data space, of which the hypervisor stuff and distro images uses a chunk, leaving you with 16 or whatever.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @willie said:

>

According to the product page the box has 4x 6tb drives

That adds up at least.

That or 3 x 8TB in RAID5.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Look at the home page https://speedykvm.com/ and click the v-dedi tab. That shows the hw setups for all the boxes. The $40, 7tb one is maybe the most interesting from my perspective, since it's an E3-1230 with 31GB/ram at a good enough price that it starts looking attractive to get two of them.

Fwiw I got a promo email from Delimiter (who?) some months back with an offer for one of their 12 bay slot hosting servers for $999 a year, 2xL5630, etc. Somewhat limited on bandwidth for this type of thing though (40TB/mo). With 10TB drives spread across 3 years and 2 parity drives for RAID-6 you come in a tad over $2/TB/month, I think.

• Another offer of possible interest: serverhub has $10/TB vps's as a regular product, and there's currently a 30% off recurring coupon that would bring it to $7/TB (http://hol16.serverhub.com/ , expires 12/31).

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited December 2016

@willie said:

According to the product page the box has 4x 6tb drives, so it sounds like a raid-5 setup with 3 data drives and 1 parity.

Yea according to the dude on live chat it was 4x 4tb. Looks like he was the one who was wrong.

Edit: Sorry wait I can't find the product page. Do you have a link?

• Jonchun said: can't find the product page. Do you have a link?

Look at the home page https://speedykvm.com/ and click the v-dedicated tab. That shows the hw setups for all the boxes.

• @SprkFade said:
    I'm looking for a dedicated server with 16+ TB of storage. The two providers I'm looking at right now are ReliableSite (I currently have a server with them) and OVH but I'm hoping there's a few more that I'm not aware of. My main issue with OVH's storage servers is that the CPUs are kind of slow compared to their regular dedicated servers.

Also, I'm looking for something either in the US or Canada. Budget is anywhere from 150-200/month. I would really appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Hello!

We can offer you the following configuration - DELL R510/2xE5645/16GB RAM/7x3Tb SATA/H700/DRAC + 100 mbps unlimited = 199 USD/mo . Location - USA, Dallas, up to 8 IPv4 for free, free full management if needed

Feel free to contact us via Skype inxy.com or live chat in https://www.inxy.com with this.